Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Issue came up on a pro board to excessive wear on these components, thought about this board as well, so will just copy and paste my response.

"Road salt is miserable on control arm and sway bar bushings, costing us billions of dollars per year. Now some states are saying each ton of road salt is costing as much as 3,800 bucks in road damage.

Do last longer if sprayed with silicone lubricant at each oil change, and even in the manuals if people knew and took time to read. Have this argument constantly when paying for an oil change and a grease job. Say nothing to grease, no zerk fittings, idiots, rather then argue all the time, easier to do it myself.

Ha, some if not most vehicles also have rear suspension, leaf springs need this spray, movement with every bump on the road and their bushings as well, or the control arm bushings if that is used. 88 Supra has 13 point suspension, and without constant spraying with silicone, start asking for it with that old saying, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Can remember as a kid, going to a full service gas station with an old guy running it, for a buck grease job would spray everything and say how important this is, but didn't have spray cans, used a spray bottle hooked up to an air compressor. Now these things need a propellant, use to use CFC's, now propane polluting the atmosphere, try and find a spray bottle today. Silicone also restores that rubber, another reason why I feel this world is going crazy. Anything that moves requires some form of lubricant or you end up replacing it a lot more frequently.

Nothing new about this, just forgotten."

One major argument was with my Chevy dealer, they don't read the manual either.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Hey Nick . When a consumer gets talked into the 50 point inspection during an oil change do you think the tech is actually considering drenching the underbody and components with lubricants and actually going to suggest an application of lubricants to said consumer ?

They are using polyurethanes now for bushings and we need energy suspension formula 5 prelube and such products .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts