Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
So when are you going to take a stab at the side mount design? ;)
I'd be in for that. If it helps, i'm not interested in blowing kicker's socks off sound. lol
I've been working on a side mount design for a little while now actually, in between the backed up orders I have on standard boxes. I just haven't said anything because I wanted to wait till it was done. The demand is simply far too high for me to simply ignore it, lol. How soon do you need one? I have all of the parts here, including two more subs and compact amplifiers.

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
Nice!

The Cruze isn't going to get love until tax time so no hurry. Care to share progress pics?
No pics yet, but it will probably be done some time in January. I've been busy working on other boxes I had backed up for a while. There is only one affordable sub that I know of that will sound great in that small of a box and it's the one I decided to use. Very high build quality, and it will look and sound great.

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
I would be interested in a compact, corner-mount sub, sometime in 2013. Let me know when you get your final design done.

Just out of curiosity - I haven't looked to see if the rear deck is cut for the 6x9 speakers that the Pioneer system uses, but what's the thought on putting a couple of free-air 6x9 subs in the rear deck? Tang Band W69-1042J 6"x9" Subwoofer 264-837
Don't do it. It's simply a bad idea. The trunk isn't sealed off enough to allow you to get any amount of deep bass out of 6x9 subwoofers in general, unless all you're looking for is boomy bass. That, and you'd have to make some custom brackets to mount the subs to the 6x9 holes. On top of that, the rear deck pad on the base system isn't designed to support 6x9s. The Pioneer upgraded systems actually have a different rear deck with a grille opening for the 6x9 subwoofers to allow the sound to get through without getting muffled. I guess you could make your own holes and install an aftermarket grille, but I don't like making permanent cosmetic modifications unless absolutely necessary.

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
I probably wouldn't, as there really isn't a true free-air 6x9 or appropriate sub available. But keep in mind that you're not treating the trunk as a sealed box, this makes it an IB setup where what you want is separation between the trunk and passenger compartments. I have heard IB subs in a home theater setups, they can produce impressive bass.
I've heard them too, and yes, they do produce impressive bass, although you need very significant amounts of excursion and cone area to do it well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.