Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Cruze eco. The coolant fan runs at high speed as soon as the key is turned on, and will not stop until the key is turned off. A/C is off, and engine is not hot, yet the fan continuously runs at full speed. How do I troubleshoot this problem?

Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention in my original post that I do not have a check engine light on. Also, the car runs and functions OK. Only problem is the fan continuously runs until the is turned off regardless if the engine is hot or the A/C is on. Any help trouble shooting this is appreciated. Thank you

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
1,058 Posts
If the speed never changes the resistors are shot and you need a new fan assembly.

·
Registered
965 Posts
If the speed never changes the resistors are shot and you need a new fan assembly.
The OP says the fan goes to high at key-on - presumably even when the motor is cold.

If the resistors are shot, I think the fan stays off until the coolant gets hot enough for the ECM to command the fan to high (after unsuccessfully commanding the fan to low and then medium).

(That said, it doesn't help the diagnosis. I'll post back after I think about this some more.)

Doug

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
1,058 Posts
I misspoke, relays, not resistors.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have a 2013 Cruze eco. The coolant fan runs at high speed as soon as the key is turned on, and will not stop until the key is turned off.
You say the fan is on HIGH as soon as you start the motor. I need to verify, that applies to a cold motor?

Assuming yes, my first thought is the high speed relay is stuck closed. I would start by probing the two control signals in the table in the attached file (left two columns).

Is the ECM commanding the fan to HIGH? This will indicate if the problem is in the relay logic (downstream), or if it's in the ECM and/or the signals going into it (upstream).

Doug

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,928 Posts
I have a 2013 Cruze eco. The coolant fan runs at high speed as soon as the key is turned on, and will not stop until the key is turned off. A/C is off, and engine is not hot, yet the fan continuously runs at full speed. How do I troubleshoot this problem?

Thank you
Check both of your temperature sensors. If one of them does not work. the fan will stay on high to make sure the engine does not overheat right away giving you time to get where you are going to have it fixed.

I just posted to a similar thread, so here that link is: 2015 Ac not cooling , temp gauge and radiator fan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts