Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick overview. In order, these are the issues and parts that have been replaced on my wife's Cruze 1.4T. Valve cover do to vacuum leak/torn diaphragm. Oil cooler, mixed oil and coolant throughout. Needed to replace thermostat, coolant reservoir, water outlet, both coolant temperature sensors, and most recently the water pump (not circulating enough coolant. Engine would hear up with AC on and coolant would boil in reservoir). Right after replacing water pump car was cooling very well. Radiator fan ran noticably less, then disaster. White smoke out of tailpipe that quickly got worse. Shut off car. Immediate first thought was head gasket. Took the plugs out, all 4 cylinders are moist, 2 middle ones still had coolant. Took off valve cover, maybe a little milky on the cam near the belt, above the water pump. Removed the intake manifold, coolant inside and pooled in 3rd cylinder head. Coolant dripped from throttle body hose when removed. Any ideas? I'm stumped at this point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After no responses I decided to just assume the worst which was blown head gasket. I bought a compression tester and sure enough I had low compression in second cylinder so the leak was more than likely in between 2 and 3. The spark plugs had some crystallization and either damp rust or oil (I didn't bother trying to figure out what it was. I assumed it was a combination of every possible liquid in the car lol) so the leak was probably already there for awhile, but with the failing water pump, I'm assuming the cooling system pressure was too low to show visible signs. Once I put the new pump in, the coolant was noticeably circulating faster and once I placed the reservoir cap on and the system came to full pressure, that's when the smoke started billowing out. So I can only assume the new pump simply exposed an already existing problem. Nevertheless, before I went off and separated the engine I figured I'd try one of those head gasket sealers in a can since the car wasn't overheating or losing that much coolant. I went with Bar's Leaks Head Gasket Sealant HB1. I followed the instructions to a "T" and lo and behold it actually freakin worked. I replaced the plugs, oil, and ran some seafoam through the vacuum lines and the fuel system. The car has been running a million times better, but I still wanna pull the plugs and run compression test again to see if its changed. I didn't check if the cylinder heads were bad.

·
Super Moderator
7,475 Posts
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Service Bulletin - NHTSA

2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

Tips to ensure no misfires occur:

Remove the coil pack. If the boots are stuck on, use a small screwdriver or pick with some dielectric grease on it to go around the outside of the boot and then possibly the inside of the boot to help aid in removal.

Remember to (p)re-gap your plugs to .028,

Set gap with the black portion of this tool.

Measure the gap with feeler gauges.

Throw this away.

Torque to 18 ft-lbs with no anti-seize on the threads of a stock type plug.

Ensure the boots have no rips/tears or holes in them, lightly coat them with dielectric/silicone grease and make sure the resister springs are clean and not caught up in the boots when you install them.

If the plugs look bad, consider these:

-BKR8EIX-2668 (iridium plugs), ~$25, expect ~10-15k regaps on these, ~40-50k overall life.
-BKR7E-4644 (nickel/copper plugs), ~$8, expect 15-25K out of these plugs, with a regap or two required at 5-8k intervals on stock tune.

Read Hesitation Gone! for more info on the plugs.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad the magic stuff made your problem go away, gotta love a happy ending. If you want to know exactly whats going on, I'd suggest a leak down test rather than a compression.. just my .02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts