Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have scoured the internet for the last couple hours as well as the forums here, and I can’t for the life of me find the answer I’m looking for. These Cruze talk forums have been extremely helpful for the last few weeks so I figured I’d create and account and ask the experts...
I have a 2014 Cruze 1.4L Turbo. And today I found that my intercooler air outlet tube was leaking coolant. I’ll attach a few pics. But my question is, how did coolant get into this hose in the first place? I see the clip punctured a hole in it, but I’ve had this tube off before and other than some oil residue, there has never been fluid in it before.

22678A95-CECD-41EA-B1DA-65BBA4E48273.jpeg
F9B5B5F5-F355-4851-8ECC-20F6A4A151E0.jpeg
B60BB9CE-CD37-4739-AC9A-128BC2F2B575.jpeg
79083C4C-0DF2-4A8B-B446-7058E86AFB2E.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,710 Posts
It's either coming from the turbo or from the PCV line that runs off of the intake.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,486 Posts
That clamp looks way too tight on the water outlet... I think it has crushed the plastic, the intake has then sucked coolant from that water outlet across to the hole in the charge pipe. Call me crazy if you want. That water hose is squished beyond belief. I would replace the water outlet, the radiator hose, and the charge pipe and test.

·
Super Moderator
3,710 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That clamp looks way too tight on the water outlet... I think it has crushed the plastic, the intake has then sucked coolant from that water outlet across to the hole in the charge pipe. Call me crazy if you want. That water hose is squished beyond belief. I would replace the water outlet, the radiator hose, and the charge pipe and test.
It initially broke down and got towed. Since then, I’ve replaced the water pump, water outlet, overflow hose leading to the water outlet, positive & negative cables, ignition coil, spark plugs, and since I’m waiting for the starter I went ahead and flushed the coolant, changed the oil, and replaced the washer fluid pump. It hasn’t been started since. However, the coolant in the air outlet only appeared last night in a few failed attempts to jump start it.
That clamp was the one on it prior to removal when I changed the water outlet but the hose is going bad and real soft and loose right there like it’s about to blow. Definitely going to replace the hose and clamp as well. But that’s all depending on what the issue is causing the coolant to be in the intercooler hose.
’ve dropped almost a grand between parts, tow bill, and a few tools to fix this thing. If I find out this issue is going to be another several hundred dollar fix as well, I might just call the bank with my best Bob Barker impression and tell them they just won “a NEW CARRR!!!!”
If it’s something relatively inexpensive like a head gasket I’ll eat the cost. But if I have to replace the head or the turbo....or both, Its likely I’m just throwing in the towel unless I come across something cheap.
I loved this car but not enough to take out a second mortgage for.
everything went bad in one 10min drive, obviously some issues were progressing up till that point. But I’ve had to replace almost everything they had recalls on and more. Too much more and it’s going to surpass my “Just Junk It” limit.

·
Super Moderator
3,710 Posts
It initially broke down and got towed. Since then, I’ve replaced the water pump, water outlet, overflow hose leading to the water outlet, positive & negative cables, ignition coil, spark plugs, and since I’m waiting for the starter I went ahead and flushed the coolant, changed the oil, and replaced the washer fluid pump. It hasn’t been started since. However, the coolant in the air outlet only appeared last night in a few failed attempts to jump start it.
That clamp was the one on it prior to removal when I changed the water outlet but the hose is going bad and real soft and loose right there like it’s about to blow. Definitely going to replace the hose and clamp as well. But that’s all depending on what the issue is causing the coolant to be in the intercooler hose.
’ve dropped almost a grand between parts, tow bill, and a few tools to fix this thing. If I find out this issue is going to be another several hundred dollar fix as well, I might just call the bank with my best Bob Barker impression and tell them they just won “a NEW CARRR!!!!”
If it’s something relatively inexpensive like a head gasket I’ll eat the cost. But if I have to replace the head or the turbo....or both, Its likely I’m just throwing in the towel unless I come across something cheap.
I loved this car but not enough to take out a second mortgage for.
everything went bad in one 10min drive, obviously some issues were progressing up till that point. But I’ve had to replace almost everything they had recalls on and more. Too much more and it’s going to surpass my “Just Junk It” limit.
Is the engine locked up? Can you turn it by hand?

·
Premium Member
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
762 Posts
I cant see it coming from the PCV unless the head were cracked internally inside the Crank Vent passages .. but at that point you'd find coolant in the oil as well. my bet is the turbo though normally its the bearings and oil seals that give out on a turbo.. dont think I;ve ever experienced one crack into the coolant passages . And Zeus yes your Crazy ..
:) :ROFLMAO:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts