Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, lately I have had a severe coolant leak that i cant find the source of. By severe, i mean, my reservoir is empty every morning and there is coolant everywhere. While the vehicle is running and warm, there's no visible leak, and throughout the day everything seems fine. However, every morning, my reservoir is empty. I checked all lines running to and from reservoir. I replaced the Lower radiator hose because it was wet every morning. My radiator is wet every morning as well, but there's no visible cracking or any loose seals along any of the connections. Water pump and seals around are intact and remain dry, but i cant seem to figure out where the leak is coming from. Any ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to see if i can find one. I've read that the water outlet tends to fail pretty often with the cruze, but im not sure where its located under the hood to even check. Every video I have seen shows it on the driver side of the engine compartment near the reservoir, but its not there on mine. The reservoir return hose runs along the backside of the engine to the passenger side. Is that where I should be looking?

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
809 Posts
Do you have a 1.8L or a 1.4L? Here's some pics of my 1.4. The first if of the thermostat by the belt on the passenger side. Second is the water outlet on the drivers side, that hose on top sometimes leaks and the whole seal itself on the outlet that bolts to the block can leak.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Have you checked the ECT In the radiator? Also the water pump for me leaked horribly while the engine was cool but once the engine warmed up it stopped leaking. I was losing about 1/4 tank a day.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
This is what the 1.8L looks like.

You water outlet might be plastic since I replaced mine with a metal one. I haven’t really seen anyone with a leak on the 1.8L water outlet.

check on the oil cooler pipe also. Both sides might have a bad o-ring. Both o-rings and the pipe have superseded part numbers. Here are what both sides look like.

one side is behind the exhaust manifold and the other side is below the thermostat attached to the water outlet.

also here is a picture of the ECT on the passenger side of the radiator.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pictures for reference. This will be the next thing i look at. I'm gonna see if i can find the leak during my lunch break tomorrow at work. Aside from this, I was considering doing a complete replacement of the cooling system, part by part, until i fix the leak. I'll keep you all posted. If anyone else has any ideas on where else to check, please feel free to add on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After further inspection, all areas shown in pictures above are not the source of the leak. I have found where the coolant is pooling on the passenger side near the wheel. Im assuming its a leaky water pump. Is there anything else in that area that I should inspect?

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Oil cooler bypass tube - 25194218

Gasket, water outlet side - 55556547

Gasket, oil cooler side - 55354068

If you buy the tube it comes with the gasket but if you buy the gasket alone to fix a leak then you will have issues since the new gasket won’t fit the old style pipe.

You can identify the old style by the raised ring just before the bend. The new style doesn’t have that.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
The only spots that could be leaking on passenger side is the water pump, ECT, lower radiator hose, and radiator. If you can’t see anything else leaking it’s probably the water pump. You have a line of coolant under the hood from the belt spraying coolant everywhere or just the coolant pooling under the wheel well. Or both?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both. Its all over the radiator, but i've physically felt the belt throwing fluid forward. It stops when the vehicle warms up and pressure builds. I'll post a photo soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had the ex
So, lately I have had a severe coolant leak that i cant find the source of. By severe, i mean, my reservoir is empty every morning and there is coolant everywhere. While the vehicle is running and warm, there's no visible leak, and throughout the day everything seems fine. However, every morning, my reservoir is empty. I checked all lines running to and from reservoir. I replaced the Lower radiator hose because it was wet every morning. My radiator is wet every morning as well, but there's no visible cracking or any loose seals along any of the connections. Water pump and seals around are intact and remain dry, but i cant seem to figure out where the leak is coming from. Any ideas?
i had the exact same issue. finally got the dealer to put dye in, turns out my thermostat housing had a crack that would shrink in the cold overnight and couldn’t be seen when it expanded it would empty out my coolant reservoir. got it replaced about a month ago and haven’t had an issue since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, lately I have had a severe coolant leak that i cant find the source of. By severe, i mean, my reservoir is empty every morning and there is coolant everywhere. While the vehicle is running and warm, there's no visible leak, and throughout the day everything seems fine. However, every morning, my reservoir is empty. I checked all lines running to and from reservoir. I replaced the Lower radiator hose because it was wet every morning. My radiator is wet every morning as well, but there's no visible cracking or any loose seals along any of the connections. Water pump and seals around are intact and remain dry, but i cant seem to figure out where the leak is coming from.

Have you check the return coolanr hose?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Half the battle is knowing when it leaks. It seems like you've discovered that. Now, it's just a matter of laying in wait to ambush it in the act.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will do. I'll keep thisi've checked everything that i can visually inspect. Im going to have to leave it be until my newborn comes and just keep it filled with coolant. Cant afford to have it torn apart and my wife go into labor. Im just gonna have to keep an eye on it and break it down to further inspect the water pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all - I am having this coolant leak in my 2016 Cruze as well. It's the 1.8L, a stick.

Last month, I took it to a local shop (as my car is still under the extended warranty), and they said it was a leaking thermostat housing. Said they did a pressure test on the car, no leaks found. They change it, and about a month later (couple days ago), I come out to ANOTHER puddle under the car. I open up the hood, no coolant in the tank. I put coolant in, and by the end of the day, the tank is empty.

I take it back to the same place who "fixed" it last month today, they replace the water pump. I get home, open the hood, looks good. A few hours later, I need to go get the baby - and I see three spots under my car that weren't there before. When I get back from getting the baby, I open the hood, lo and behold, no coolant in the tank again. The car has never run hot or overheated, but I'm worried that I've got something catastrophic waiting to happen.

My wife is currently going through chemotherapy for breast cancer, and this is an extremely unnecessary expense as we have other things to worry about right now. Anything input you folks have, please, let me know. I'm at the end of my rope on a car I really like, that has really not given me any problems until now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts