Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All!
I have a 2014 Cruze 2.0d LTZ+ and i have some cooling issues: When I start the motor and the outside temperature is about 10 C (ca.50 F), on idle power the momentary
fuel consumption is about 1.3-1.2 liter (ca.0.3 gallon). Im driving a little, the motor temperature is rising, but after 10-15 minutes i see that on idle power the momentary fuel consumption is 2.5 liter (ca.0.55 gallon). I stop the motor, and the cooling fan is starting working at high speed, althoug the outside and the motor temeperature is quite low. When everything is normal, (like motor temeperature) on idle power the momentary fuel consumptionon is about 0.6-0.7 liter (0.15 gallon), on the move 5.6-6.5 liter. (1.45-1.71 gallon) Have U got any idea, whats went wrong?

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,439 Posts
In these 2 photos, you can see on the lower radiator hose where the fluid is thrown onto the hose in lines. Obviously, in the photo it has dried. The other photo shows underneath where most of the coolant settles and pools.
Hello all - I am having this coolant leak in my 2016 Cruze as well. It's the 1.8L, a stick.

Last month, I took it to a local shop (as my car is still under the extended warranty), and they said it was a leaking thermostat housing. Said they did a pressure test on the car, no leaks found. They change it, and about a month later (couple days ago), I come out to ANOTHER puddle under the car. I open up the hood, no coolant in the tank. I put coolant in, and by the end of the day, the tank is empty.

I take it back to the same place who "fixed" it last month today, they replace the water pump. I get home, open the hood, looks good. A few hours later, I need to go get the baby - and I see three spots under my car that weren't there before. When I get back from getting the baby, I open the hood, lo and behold, no coolant in the tank again. The car has never run hot or overheated, but I'm worried that I've got something catastrophic waiting to happen.

My wife is currently going through chemotherapy for breast cancer, and this is an extremely unnecessary expense as we have other things to worry about right now. Anything input you folks have, please, let me know. I'm at the end of my rope on a car I really like, that has really not given me any problems until now.
Not sayin' this is the issue, but make sure the bleeder valve is closed all the way and that the sensor is sealed well. Both are on the passenger side of the radiator. also every time you bleed (which should be every time you add a lot of fluid or open the system) remember that it may need to be done multiple times to get rid of any air bubbles.

·
Registered
Holden Cruze 1.8L 2012. 63k miles odometer (15-03-2020).
80 Posts
I got a coolant leak from water pump on my 2012 Holden Cruze with 1.8l F18D4 engine at about 90,000 km on the odometer and I used Nulon Radiator Engine Block Stop Leak 500mL to treat it. Did not work overnight and I do not fill the coolant reserviour more than half, as doing this allows for a cushion of air to absorb vapor pressure when you stop the car. I add about 200ml premixed Dexcool coolant every 2-3 months. No, did not solve the coolant loss but reduced it to a drop here and there after 7-14 days adding it to the reserviour.

In the U.S.A similar product like in this video can be used...ignore the Clickbait video title. Scotty Kilmer makes lots of great videos.

Read and follow instructions!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok, so after further inspection, I came to the conclusion that the problem was my water pump. Replaced the water pump, then found a new leak at the thermostat housing(guessing it was from finally receiving the pressure that couldnt build up before), and replaced it. Now, I'm having another issue with the leaking. It seems to be coming from underneath the metal cover over the coolant pipe, will be replacing that pipe tomorrow when i pick up the part. Also, after having no leaks for about a month and a half, another thermostat has failed on me. That makes 4 in the last year and 2 in the past 3 months. When i picked up the OBD2 reader it throws the code P0597. I replace the thermostat and it goes away. Yet here i am a couple weeks later with the same problem. What do you guys think the problem may be at this point?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts