Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just drove her two hours and come to find out I have a coolant leak, parked the Cruze in the hotel parking lot and not a minute later:

I JUST decreased and shined the engine bay, so looking for where it's leaking from

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue, also I believe one of (the many) recalls I've had was for this issue? I may be wrong though but I believe the Chevy Cruze had a recall for the coolant leak.

2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ 1.4L Turbo

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
That is usually the place where the water outlet leaks. If it is that it is covered with 5 year 100,000 mile power train warranty.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 10 yr 100,000 mile extended warranty, the car doesn't even have 40k miles yet 39,882 last time I checked, and I noticed it doing spark plugs but never before now have I noticed puddles under the car!?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I'm sure there is a Chevy dealer near your current location that will be in operation this Friday.......Just do a first thing in the morning roll in....dealers understand when your out of town.....

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
That is usually the place where the water outlet leaks. If it is that it is covered with 5 year 100,000 mile power train warranty.
If we're talking about the driver's side near the front, that would be my guess too. The bad news - it could fail catastrophically and leave you stranded. Water pumps just get the coolant get low. They don't turn int gushers.

Reactions: spacedout

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Source of the leak, now that's it's light out I can tell (if you hit play it'll redirect you, hit play again and it'll play!): https://vimeo.com/147025571

Note:engine was off and had just reached operating temp, so it's not like the pressure had built up too much.. :/

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Show that video to your dealer. Better yet, duplicate it for your dealer. You've done the hard part - finding the leak.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Show that video to your dealer. Better yet, duplicate it for your dealer. You've done the hard part - finding the leak.
Now I have a question idk if you or anyone has dealer experience but i had the coolant leak recall and had it fixed, will they Firefox it and assume that it wasn't fixed properly of am I at an out of pocket point here

·
Registered
279 Posts
$9 part. Takes about 3 minutes to replace. Mine has not failed yet, but it is a very common failure item. I purchased one and will be replacing it next oil change. Treating it as a preventive maintenance item. My daughters car, do not want to have an engine burn up over a $9 part. Love all these plastic parts on new cars, Chevy, Ford, foreign, doesn't matter, they are all junk. Love my older vehicles, do not have these types of problems. Bought mine of ebay, part # 13251447. Here is a link to one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-G...ash=item1c5cf1f7e5:g:JTQAAOSwsFpWTO7s&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
185 Posts
Its the water outlet I had same problem with same leak in that area dealer replaced. Just make sure they bleed system good or your fan run on high due to air pockets cause of influx in reading temp.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The recall was to verify no current leak points and to top off the coolant if needed.

When the recall was performed, there was no leakage.

Nobody can forsee a failure.....it failed during your trip......no foul on anyones part.

BTW....cheap and simple fix.

Rob

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I'm gonna bring her tomorrow to get fixed, how long should I plan for her to be there for a transmission flush, coolant leak fix and that ecu reprogram recall that's out

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
transmission flush,
Change the fluid, but don't get sold on a flush. (I'm assuming a "flush" is something with special fluids or process and not just running extra new fluid though the transmission.) Flush with new transmission fluid = good. Flush with anything else = questionable at best. More likely a wallet flush.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Change the fluid, but don't get sold on a flush. (I'm assuming a "flush" is something with special fluids or process and not just running extra new fluid though the transmission.) Flush with new transmission fluid = good. Flush with anything else = questionable at best. More likely a wallet flush.
This dealer near my house is gonna supposedly drain old and replace with oem new for $134, idk if that's easy enough for me to do or even cost effective

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Relative to the part required for the leakage, assuming it is in stock, about 20 minutes for replacement (once cooled down a bit) and fluid top off, running long enough to purge air from the system.

As far as how long to service the trans.....I dunno, maybe a half hour or so.

Rob

·
Registered
279 Posts
No way I would pay $134 for the dealer to replace my tranny fluid. I know labor rates are high now, but I did this myself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it's the upper reservoir hose connection leaking at the water out, GM has revised this connection, both the hose end and the water outlet. You can't use the new style hose end on the older style water outlet. You have to buy both the hose and water neck. The other connections to the water outlet are traditional slip on hoses with clamps so nothing changes there. The water outlet is $22 and the hose was $12. With coolant, you can do the whole job for under $50.

I just changed mine out this weekend and it took about an hour to do. Most of the time was spent cleaning all of the coolant up I didn't get with the catch pan.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey guys, I am a GM mechanic. Just wanted to share some info with you guys. I dont know where you all live, but here in Canada alot of Cruzes have special policies for the waterpump leak, even if your car is out of warranty the policy will cover it, JUST the waterpump and seal..

CHECK BEFORE YOU GO, like I said here in Canada SOME cruzes have waterpump replacement policies.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
but here in Canada alot of Cruzes have special policies for the waterpump leak, even if your car is out of warranty the policy will cover it, JUST the waterpump and seal..
Same in the US.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts