Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, new member here. I did a search for coolant leaks here but I'm not certain they address the issue I'm having. I'll provide some background: 2012 chevy cruze eco, 6 speed man. Bought it used in 2016 with 62,000 on it. Came with a warranty, which has since expired. We had a coolant leak once before, dealer replaced the thermostat housing cause it was cracked. It now has 154,000 mi. on it. Since I bought it I have had a hunting accident, hit a deer in 2018, all repaired by the insurance co. Only other incident I've had was I got hit with heavy snow from a snow plow (I know, it sounds weird but it's true) that cracked the bumper cover.
So, recently the low coolant issue resurfaced, I can always tell because the heater won't come on. I think like a lot of people, a little evaporation loss is normal, the sudden losses are kind of scary. I had some coolant on hand, topped off the reservoir and kept an eye on it daily. Wasn't a severe loss at first, but it gradually got bad enough that I'm not driving it now. We had gone out of town at thanksgiving, and when we got back I started out for town and got about 2 miles before the 'turn ac off' warning came on. So I parked it. Initial inspection showed the top return hose was badly bulged where it joins the return housing, so I replaced that first. I have checked the turbo coolant return line and see no issue there, water pump seems ok for now.
It's at the point where it will leak down just sitting. I placed a mat under and ran it for about half an hour, getting a lot of coolant from the drivers side area, under the radiator. A little further back from that I'm seeing a slight oil leak as well, not sure if this is related. The oil is changed regularly and there is no indication of coolant being dumped into the crankcase, judging by the appearance of the oil on the dipstick(as an aside: why did they make the ends of the dipstick out of aluminum? Every time I pull It see a worst case scenario. Looks like the milkshake condition.)
I don't want to get into a repair by attrition scene, I'm currently unemployed (although I have an offer that starts in January) but I do need this second car, my wife works and it's kind of a strain to use one car for everything. The question is, did I miss something searching this forum related to common leaks on the intercooler/ radiator? Is this a difficult job? I've started to remove the bumper cover already but I want to be cautious, I'm not seeing any of the common conditions in my search, like the return line under the manifold, sensors gone bad,water pump etc. Plus, if I do decide to take it to a garage, it's still drive able the way it is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to all, new member here. I did a search for coolant leaks here but I'm not certain they address the issue I'm having. I'll provide some background: 2012 chevy cruze eco, 6 speed man. Bought it used in 2016 with 62,000 on it. Came with a warranty, which has since expired. We had a coolant leak once before, dealer replaced the thermostat housing cause it was cracked. It now has 154,000 mi. on it. Since I bought it I have had a hunting accident, hit a deer in 2018, all repaired by the insurance co. Only other incident I've had was I got hit with heavy snow from a snow plow (I know, it sounds weird but it's true) that cracked the bumper cover.
So, recently the low coolant issue resurfaced, I can always tell because the heater won't come on. I think like a lot of people, a little evaporation loss is normal, the sudden losses are kind of scary. I had some coolant on hand, topped off the reservoir and kept an eye on it daily. Wasn't a severe loss at first, but it gradually got bad enough that I'm not driving it now. We had gone out of town at thanksgiving, and when we got back I started out for town and got about 2 miles before the 'turn ac off' warning came on. So I parked it. Initial inspection showed the top return hose was badly bulged where it joins the return housing, so I replaced that first. I have checked the turbo coolant return line and see no issue there, water pump seems ok for now.
It's at the point where it will leak down just sitting. I placed a mat under and ran it for about half an hour, getting a lot of coolant from the drivers side area, under the radiator. A little further back from that I'm seeing a slight oil leak as well, not sure if this is related. The oil is changed regularly and there is no indication of coolant being dumped into the crankcase, judging by the appearance of the oil on the dipstick(as an aside: why did they make the ends of the dipstick out of aluminum? Every time I pull It see a worst case scenario. Looks like the milkshake condition.)
I don't want to get into a repair by attrition scene, I'm currently unemployed (although I have an offer that starts in January) but I do need this second car, my wife works and it's kind of a strain to use one car for everything. The question is, did I miss something searching this forum related to common leaks on the intercooler/ radiator? Is this a difficult job? I've started to remove the bumper cover already but I want to be cautious, I'm not seeing any of the common conditions in my search, like the return line under the manifold, sensors gone bad,water pump etc. Plus, if I do decide to take it to a garage, it's still drive able the way it is.
It wasn't until I power washed under the hood on my 2014 Eco Cruze 1.4L that I was able to clearly see where my leaks-yes, leaks-were originating from. First one I noticed was the plastic water return unit on the left side of the engine had a small crack in it. I replaced that only to find out a few days later that I still had a small leak somewhere (small drip on the garage floor.) I located the dripping point on the underside of the coolant overflow tank. It too had a small crack/cut in it. I have no idea how either of these units developed their crack/cuts! All is good now for the moment but I'll be keeping my eye on things.
BTW, the oil leak you see may be the turbo oil cooler line.There are a few threads on this site concerning this issue. The issue I found when I replaced it was the the bolt hole into the aluminum

·
Registered
492 Posts
I agree with the cleaning under the hood first. I used dawn dish soap and water in a sprayer. Let it sit for 10 minutes then rinsed off with a hose end sprayer. Drive it around and make sure things are dry then start to try and trace leaks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with the cleaning under the hood first. I used dawn dish soap and water in a sprayer. Let it sit for 10 minutes then rinsed off with a hose end sprayer. Drive it around and make sure things are dry then start to try and trace leaks.
I used Scrubbing Bubbles, sprayed it all over a cold engine, waited 10 minutes, rinsed with a garden hose, and repeated on spots that were still dirty. Found my oil leak, still have NOT found my coolant leak, no external signs and not mixing with the oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a leak I replaced some hoses and it’s leaking a lot and there’s coolant under the engine and behind it but my radiatior is fine what do I do
F977256C-BDA9-4071-B167-16451B9DB5AC.png

·
Super Moderator
7,475 Posts
I have a leak I replaced some hoses and it’s leaking a lot and there’s coolant under the engine and behind it but my radiator is fine what do I do
Are you sure that is coolant? I would use some brakeclean to degrease the area and go for a drive after it is dry and look again. That could be oil from the CPASV or coolant from the water pump or possibly oil from the valve cover. Those are all common leak points for a Gen I, 1.4.

Take a new picture of any leaks and post here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts