Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been away from the forum for a few months....we've got 22,000 on the Cuze and we're enjoying it very much. Just oil/filter changes, tire rotations/balance and gas. Our mpg varies between 32 and 35 with our driving style. While checking things under the hood I noticed the coolant level is about 1/2" above the hose port. I can't remember where the level was at delivery. The markings on the coolant tank sure could be clearer to see. I don't notice any leakage or smell...thermostat seems to be functioning fine....no problems. Guess I'll just get a jug of DexCool and set the level and keep an eye on it. It seems like I remember months ago a forum post concerned with coolant loss at the heater core...can't find in the search box.

Is anyone having an issue with very slow coolant loss? Well, I'll take this opportunity to wish the forum members a very happy holidays:xmas:

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I am having this issue as well. Dealer said all is well but I had to add coolant once and after driving I smell antifreeze if I pop hood

sent from my Thunderbolt using AutoGuide App
I'd say its time to grab a drop light and start looking around the engine room. If you continuously smell collant, its bleeding out somewhere, even if there is nothing on the garage floor.

·
Registered
906 Posts
@Jaygeo- If your not smelling coolant then simply take a Marker and make a small dot where the current level is. check it every week for the next month and see if you see a change. It could also be as simple as maybe when you remember seeing it before it was cold and this time around it was hot.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Jaygeo- If your not smelling coolant then simply take a Marker and make a small dot where the current level is. check it every week for the next month and see if you see a change. It could also be as simple as maybe when you remember seeing it before it was cold and this time around it was hot.
Good suggestion..I picked up some Dexcool and added 1 1/2 cups of coolant to the tank which brought the level to the top visible fin/arrow. This is probably the engine hot level...but I can keep an eye on the level now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've got a 1.8 ls so I'm not sure if this applies to any of you but my car has been into the dealer twice in the last two weeks for a coolant leak around the intake manifold. Initially the dealer thought that the o-ring around the metal tube going into the intake was bad so they replaced it and a week later it was leaking again so they replaced the o-ring a second time as well as the aluminium housing the tube goes into (not sure how everything actually goes together, this is just what they told me)... Not sure if this is an isolated incident or a defect in the 1.8's but I thought it was worth noting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
coolant loss

I have the 2011 1.4 LT turbo. I took my car into the dealer because i noticed that i can smell coolant everytime the car got to operating temperature. I smelled it inside the cabin and on the outside. I did a quick check myself I didn't see anything leaking but I did notice the reservoir was low. The dealer got back to me and said the water pump is leaking, they put me in a rental and said they had to order the part. Next day the part comes in it apparently didn't come with the gasket. So hopefully tomorrow i will be a happy camper with my car again, in the mean time the rental company didn't have any GM vehicles so I'm stuck driving a Dodge Journey.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
I have the 2011 1.4 LT turbo. I took my car into the dealer because i noticed that i can smell coolant everytime the car got to operating temperature. I smelled it inside the cabin and on the outside. I did a quick check myself I didn't see anything leaking but I did notice the reservoir was low. The dealer got back to me and said the water pump is leaking, they put me in a rental and said they had to order the part. Next day the part comes in it apparently didn't come with the gasket. So hopefully tomorrow i will be a happy camper with my car again, in the mean time the rental company didn't have any GM vehicles so I'm stuck driving a Dodge Journey.

Interesting, just got my car back today and they tell me nothing wrong with cooling system even though I smell antifreeze. I wonder if my water pump is leaking?

·
Banned
117 Posts
Be careful filling up the overflows. If the Cruze system is anything like the one in the Solstice (and I think the Cobalt) it needs to be filled by the dealer or with a special tool. Just opening the cap allows air into the system and you'll get air pockets. I've dealt with a few of these cases in the past

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also just came back from the dealership that told me my car was not leaking and they could not smell anything even though everyone else seems to be able to smell it. The coolant tank was 1/4 full when I took it there, the car was hot at the time. After two hours they come get me and say nothing is wrong and when I get to the car the tank has magically re-filled itself to halfway. I don't know about everyone else but im tired of getting "cannot duplicate customer concern"

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
And to boot I smell something like oil burning thru the vents every few minutes along with the antifreeze smell. But chevy says all is well.. I bet when warranty over they will be able to diagnose these problems in 2 minutes!

·
Registered
53 Posts
guys, have your dealers check the block plugs, we had one in the shop last week, slight anti-freeze smell, but no noticed drips of coolant. after much dicking around, found a block plug seeping, and naturally when up to temp, it would 'burn off' and have the odor. a little sealer on the plug and all was good. usually you can see some white colored residue from the coolant evaporating around the area. also of note, a pressure test dd not reveal the source of the seepage.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.