Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed a slight smell of coolant today when I got home from work. I popped the hood and noticed that I've got a slight leak from where the coolant recovery tube connects to the water outlet. I took that end of the tube off and saw that the end of the tube is broken off inside of the "nipple" that clips the tube into the water outlet. I've got a couple question.

1. Do the new style tubes fit into the older style water outlet? Or do I need to get a new water outlet as well?

2. What's the latest part number for the tube?

3. Is the large valve/nipple that fits into the water outlet and that the tube connects to a separate piece or part of the tube or water outlet?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Reactions: Blasirl

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,667 Posts
I just noticed a slight smell of coolant today when I got home from work. I popped the hood and noticed that I've got a slight leak from where the coolant recovery tube connects to the water outlet. I took that end of the tube off and saw that the end of the tube is broken off inside of the "nipple" that clips the tube into the water outlet. I've got a couple question.

1. Do the new style tubes fit into the older style water outlet? Or do I need to get a new water outlet as well?

2. What's the latest part number for the tube?

3. Is the large valve/nipple that fits into the water outlet and that the tube connects to a separate piece or part of the tube or water outlet?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
To add a few more:

Antifreeze Smell Thread

Mysterious coolant loss

·
Registered
280 Posts
Good luck trying to get GM to fix it under the powertrain warranty, my cruze, at 32K mi. reeks of antifreeze and I have seen it drip below the water outlet, dealer pumped up the cooling system cold then tells me no problem found, I then tell them I've seen it drip and they then let it idle for hours and pressure check it--no problem found--I then tell them it needs to heat up to normal driving conditions and they tell me it's not leaking enough !! I go to pick it up and show them the dark spot of dried antifreeze below the outlet and tell them again about the strong antifreeze smell----they still refuse to fix it !!!

Bottom line even though GM knows there is a problem they are hoping you run out of warranty before they have to fix it !!

With all the known problems with this vehicle:
WATERPUMPS
WATEROUTLETS
VALVECOVERS
INTAKE MANUFOLDS
TURBOS
RANDOM TRUNK OPENINGS
WATER LEAKS-FIREWALL
RADIO LOCKUPS
This is just the short list !!
You would think they would just fix these known problems but in reality its like fighting a traffic ticket to get GM to fix anything !!!

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Good luck trying to get GM to fix it under the powertrain warranty, my cruze, at 32K mi. reeks of antifreeze and I have seen it drip below the water outlet, dealer pumped up the cooling system cold then tells me no problem found, I then tell them I've seen it drip and they then let it idle for hours and pressure check it--no problem found--I then tell them it needs to heat up to normal driving conditions and they tell me it's not leaking enough !! I go to pick it up and show them the dark spot of dried antifreeze below the outlet and tell them again about the strong antifreeze smell----they still refuse to fix it !!!

Bottom line even though GM knows there is a problem they are hoping you run out of warranty before they have to fix it !!

With all the known problems with this vehicle:
WATERPUMPS
WATEROUTLETS
VALVECOVERS
INTAKE MANUFOLDS
TURBOS
RANDOM TRUNK OPENINGS
WATER LEAKS-FIREWALL
RADIO LOCKUPS
This is just the short list !!
You would think they would just fix these known problems but in reality its like fighting a traffic ticket to get GM to fix anything !!!
I will assume you have not had all the problems in your list, however, you are blaming a Corporation because certain dealers, for lack of a better term, suck.

In general, every time moving the car to another dealer is recommended and acted upon, the concern gets resolved to the posters satisfaction.

So, once again, I am recommending that anytime you are having problems getting a known concern resolved.....move to another dealer.

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
and I have seen it drip below the water outlet,
With cell phones being ubiquitous, I'd suggest videoing it and showing it to the dealer. The dealer has a problem in that they may need some kind of evidence to show GM to get approval for the work. I think another issue is the location of the leak. The water outlet is covered, the hose is not.

A video, or at least a picture that shows exactly where it's coming from might be enough to make everyone happy.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah the leak is tough to see but appears to run down the small hose towards the driver side and puddles on the bell housing right below that hose
My guess is the water outlet has a crack or warps enough to leak ONLY when the engine is run normally--not idling in their back lot for hours
I park this car in my shop and the coolant odor is strong, I live up a hill at 2000' elevation and pulling this hill heats the engine enough to cause the drip and as we know the temp gauge is nothing but an idiot light, I have popped the hood and seen it drip, at first I convinced myself a new overflow bottle along with the larger o-ring was the source of this antifreeze smell but after finding the stain on the bell housing I realize this has been the problem all along, been putting up with this smell and slight coolant usage since 18K mi
The dealer service writer insists they come in with coolant puddled up in all the low spots along the top of the bell housing (I can add some coolant there if it would help), maybe Robby can comment on that--I'd trust what he has to say way more than this dealer (Sullivan Chevrolet Roseville California) and this is not the first time they get out of fixing the in warranty car, other problems I fixed myself at my own expense, water leak on passenger floor, constructed a deflector for the gaping hole thru the firewall, random trunk openings, replaced back switch, both of these are known problems that this dealer came back with no problem found, this time I asked him if GM paid the service techs a commission on declined repairs !!

OK enough venting, your right Robby--time to find another dealer this one sucks, I also wonder if it's because it was a former hertz rental car or because I did not buy the car from them ??? It should not take a act of congress to get a warranty enforced, as I said its right up there with fighting a traffic ticket that you really are innocent of but the lost time and effort is not worth the fight---sure will think twice before buying or recommending a GM vehicle, corporate America at its worst !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
On this part below, did you figure out what that is called? I know it can be taken and is a separate piece, and comes with the water outlet, but I need to know if this can be purchased separately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts