Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Coolant reservoir leaking but car not overheating

1480 23
I have a 2012 Cruze, roughly 103,000 miles. I took it in for an oil change last week and the guy told me the coolant reservoir was empty. He asked if it had overheated at all. No, it had not. I was shocked to hear it was empty. Yesterday, after a few days of driving it, I noticed fluid on the garage floor and smelled antifreeze. I checked the reservoir yesterday and it was almost empty again. I put more in and there’s nothing but a tiny amount left today. Most of it has leaked out. There is still no overheating and temperature gauge not showing hot at all. I have seen other posts about coolant leaks but not seeing one where it’s leaking with no indication of overheating? The mechanic can’t get it in for 2 weeks. Has anyone else had this happen?
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi again. I ended up taking the car to a trusted mechanic I’ve always used. He said it was the radiator and replaced that. However, I still smell a burning smell, I’m taking it back in this week. He said it sounds like the water pump and we’ve already replaced that once! As I’ve said, I’m a senior citizen on a fixed income and can’t afford this! As I’ve said before, I’ve tried calling GM and not only are they not helpful, they are very rude. I’ve had more than one repair that should have been covered under a recall, but I’m always told my VIN number was not included in the recall! Frustrating!

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,155 Posts
Well, sadly this is exactly what mechanics (dealerships, local shops, or the guy down the street) do to people every day. Play games with your money. Here is the real deal. We live in the 21st century, cars have been made in a very similar fashion for a HUNDRED years. There is no, "well I guess it could be the radiator". Or "it might be the water pump". If you go anywhere that they need to guess, you need to go somewhere else. Because everything can be tested, EVERYTHING. And if anyone tells you different they are either lying or incompetent.

As always this isn't just for you Julie, it is for the people that may come by this post in the future.

Get everything documented as you go. People will tell you anything, but they won't write down their BS. Usually.
Always ask about a guarantee BEFORE the work is done.
There is always a recourse for bad work, if you have documentation. Get paper work, take pictures, check the work. Next time some says, "Well it needs a radiator mam". Afterwards mark the radiator with a Sharpie, or scratch an X in it, anything to ID it. And take a few pictures. THEN take it back for the work. And yes, I'm telling you it is a COMMON scam to just not do the work on cars that run. Or they will say 4 items needs to be done, and only do 2 of them.
And lastly take your case beyond them.
You can talk to a dealership manager until you are blue in the face and get nothing. Leave a bad review on their website or social media platform, and you would be AMAZED what can be done for you.
Next the Better Business Bureau, same thing.
And lastly, small claims court.

I really do wish you luck, but you need to make it happen. Todays world is nothing like when we were young. :cry:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I’m back again about this 2012 Cruze that keeps overheating. I have had the radiator and water pump both replaced in the past six weeks. I was driving Saturday and got the message that the AC was turned off due to overheating. I then almost immediately got the overheating Engine Idle message. The coolant reservoir was empty again even though I’d just put coolant in about a week before, I put more coolant in again but it was gone the next morning. Once again, no coolant on the ground. The fan is running full blast.

I’ve called Chevrolet. They wouldn’t cover the cost of the water pump as they said my VIN number didn’t fall under that special bulletin. My car is a 2012 with now roughly 104,000 miles. They’ve not been helpful at all, I am a senior citizen on a fixed income. I cannot continue to afford these repairs and cannot afford a car payment.

Any ideas on what might be going on now? Sorry to keep posting but I’m just beyond frustrated.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts