Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Coolant reservoir leaking but car not overheating

7K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  bleepster 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 Cruze, roughly 103,000 miles. I took it in for an oil change last week and the guy told me the coolant reservoir was empty. He asked if it had overheated at all. No, it had not. I was shocked to hear it was empty. Yesterday, after a few days of driving it, I noticed fluid on the garage floor and smelled antifreeze. I checked the reservoir yesterday and it was almost empty again. I put more in and there’s nothing but a tiny amount left today. Most of it has leaked out. There is still no overheating and temperature gauge not showing hot at all. I have seen other posts about coolant leaks but not seeing one where it’s leaking with no indication of overheating? The mechanic can’t get it in for 2 weeks. Has anyone else had this happen?

#2 ·
Well Julie, the Achilles' heel of a Cruze is the cooling system. First thing, nice job on keeping the coolant level up. This is absolutely critical you keep doing that. (y)

My question to you is, have you actually seen the source of the leak? Because the way you described it, I have my doubts. For now, lets awesome it is the coolant reservoir leaking. This is a common failure, and with your mileage 100% expected. Get a Dorman replacement, they are better than OEM and 1/3 the price.
Here is the deal it is a $20 part, that is very easy to replace using only basic tools. I actually replaced mine a couple weeks ago, it only takes a few minutes. if you bring it to any shop your looking at a $200 bill.

That said, judging by the amount of coolant you are losing the reservoir isn't the source of the leak. It is your water pump, if the water is coming from (and leaking down) the passenger side of the engine compartment. Bob is your uncle.

but not seeing one where it’s leaking with no indication of overheating?
This is very common issue not many people understand. The engine coolant normal operating temperature is about 230F. If you have a leak, but you still have coolant (and this is a huge butt :LOL:), the car can't "overheat" because water at atmospheric pressure can't get hotter than about 212F.
One of the most common failure modes of the water pump is the seal goes bad. And while the car is running probably won't leak that much, but about an hour after shutting it down (or maybe less) the seal cools releasing the coolant from the engine. Regardless of the leak location, I still highly recommend replacing the coolant reservoir.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. I looked yesterday and it is definitely leaking from the passenger side. I replaced the water pump about 2 years ago and it was expensive. I was hoping maybe it was just the reservoir. When I took it in to get the oil changed, the tech told me the reservoir was empty and asked if the temperature gauge has showed hot. It hadn’t at all and still isn’t. I appreciate your explanation of why it hasn’t been overheating. I can’t get it into the mechanic for 2 weeks. It’s going to get expensive to keep putting coolant in. So I will take your suggestion of at least having someone replace it. I’m an almost 70 year old woman so don’t do the work myself. Will this allow me to keep driving it until I can get it into the mechanic?

#4 ·
First thing, I have some really good news for you. The repair should be covered under a "GM special coverage" warranty. Here is deal though, you are on the edge of not meeting the 10 year limit. But you are well under the 150K miles limit. So here is the deal, if they deny to pay for your repair now. They should reimburse you for your previous repair. So either way, this should save you hundreds of dollars. :D

Just so you are prepared, print that document out. And gather all the information you can from the previous water pump replacement. Talk to the local GM dealership and see what they will do for you. If the dealership doesn't honor the warranty, call GM customer assistance. 800-222-1020

Will this allow me to keep driving it until I can get it into the mechanic?
If you keep the reservoir filled you can run the engine for 15 minutes. If it was winter, I'd say maybe 20-30 minutes. Just be aware if you do overheat the engine, the head gasket will probably blow. If that happens the car is scrap. :eek:

Keep us updated.

#9 ·
Sadly, this is not unexpected. I kind of knew you would need to call GM :(

FYI, most dealerships hate doing warranty work. They can only charge GM a set (reasonable) rate, not being able to gouge EVERYONE pisses them off. :ROFLMAO::cry:
When I called him yay number you gave me,

FYI, most dealerships hate doing warranty work. They can only charge GM a set (reasonable) rate, not being able to gouge EVERYONE pisses them off. :ROFLMAO::cry:

I am sorry. I misspoke. I talked to someone at the Chevrolet Assistance Center. He just kept saying my VIN number didn’t show any recalls. I told him I didn’t believe it was a recall. It was a special coverage service bulletin. He didn’t seem to know anything about that. He just kept saying no recalls on my VIN number.. Any suggestions?

#11 ·
Well, I know for a fact people on this forum have had their water pump replaced under that warranty. :confused:

Is there something weird about your car? Like, did it have a salvage title, was it flooded and totaled by an insurance company?

Compare your car title, to the VIN on the dash. Double check you are giving them the correct VIN.

#14 ·
I think if you purchased the car from an "as is" lot, this voids all warrantees that GM will need to replace themselves. I had to sign at least 2 pages regarding this. I assume this was bought privately or at least, "as is"?

With that said, I am not 100% sure about the previous statement (since it's not a recall listed in my Haynes manual) and would continue to fight GM about it. As a former customer service rep, I know that with enough persistence, a lot gets done.

And... if it is the waterpump, it really isnt that hard to change. Do you have a family member that watches YouTube and has a set of sockets? But, if you can afford it, its nice to have a repair shop fix any failures/mistakes.

I wish you the best,

#15 ·
I think if you purchased the car from an "as is" lot, this voids all warrantees that GM will need to replace themselves. I had to sign at least 2 pages regarding this. I assume this was bought privately or at least, "as is"?

With that said, I am not 100% sure about the previous statement (since it's not a recall listed in my Haynes manual) and would continue to fight GM about it. As a former customer service rep, I know that with enough persistence, a lot gets done.

And... if it is the waterpump, it really isnt that hard to change. Do you have a family member that watches YouTube and has a set of sockets? But, if you can afford it, its nice to have a repair shop fix any failures/mistakes.

I wish you the best,
I bought this car new from a Chevrolet dealership. I already replaced the water pump on now.

#16 ·
Oh the joys of the cooling system. The little temp dial is for show... Only time it moves higher is to indicate a problem, followed with an audible warning tone.

For coolant you can use distilled water from the grocery store to get by. Just remember to level the antifreeze concentration after repairing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Thebigzeus
#17 ·
Look, first things first, Id stop driving the car until you can get it looked at and repaired. Dont risk doing more harm to it.

Second, the coolant leak is going to be one of four things. The reservoir itself has developed a stress crack and is leaking under pressure, the coolant hose hub located on the drivers side of the engine above the transmission is cracked and leaking, one of the smaller hoses coming from that hub is leaking, usually the one on the front leading to the turbo, or the water pump and/or thermostat located on the passenger side of the engine has failed. None of those are expensive repairs, but they can cause a big headache if not addressed promptly.
All this on-going talk and arguing about if its covered under warranty or not is unproductive.

If at all possible, can you snap a few pics of the areas Ive described above and post them?

#18 ·
All this on-going talk and arguing about if its covered under warranty or not is unproductive.
Agreed, but it is the system arguing with us. As I have stated a couple times, not just in this post, the water pumps are a known issue. IMHO the seals were not designed for the elevated coolant temperature on the Gen1 engines. That is why when my water pump failed at about 60K, I just got an after market one for $60 and with about 2 hours of DIY wrench time I have been golden. Disappointing, but no big whoop :coffee:

But now you take the same situation with an elderly lady, she's looking at $1000 repair bill. A bill that even by GM's admission shouldn't be hers to bare.

#19 ·
I just had the exact same problem, with 78,000 miles on my 2012 LT but in my case it turned out to be the thermostat that was leaking. It wasn’t as big a job as a water pump but unfortunately it wasn’t covered by the 10 year/120k mile extended warranty, and I’m not skilled enough to do the job myself.

#20 ·
For my 2012 Cruze Eco, I received a letter (dated October of 2014) stating Chevrolet was providing additional protection for the water pump -- "10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 150,000 miles." If you had the work done, they also would reimburse you. The letter (with my info redacted) and a form for reimbursement are attached. I do not know if this coverage is applicable to all 2012 Cruzes.

Keep us posted.

Attachments

#21 ·
Hi again. I ended up taking the car to a trusted mechanic I’ve always used. He said it was the radiator and replaced that. However, I still smell a burning smell, I’m taking it back in this week. He said it sounds like the water pump and we’ve already replaced that once! As I’ve said, I’m a senior citizen on a fixed income and can’t afford this! As I’ve said before, I’ve tried calling GM and not only are they not helpful, they are very rude. I’ve had more than one repair that should have been covered under a recall, but I’m always told my VIN number was not included in the recall! Frustrating!

#22 · (Edited)
Well, sadly this is exactly what mechanics (dealerships, local shops, or the guy down the street) do to people every day. Play games with your money. Here is the real deal. We live in the 21st century, cars have been made in a very similar fashion for a HUNDRED years. There is no, "well I guess it could be the radiator". Or "it might be the water pump". If you go anywhere that they need to guess, you need to go somewhere else. Because everything can be tested, EVERYTHING. And if anyone tells you different they are either lying or incompetent.

As always this isn't just for you Julie, it is for the people that may come by this post in the future.

Get everything documented as you go. People will tell you anything, but they won't write down their BS. Usually.
Always ask about a guarantee BEFORE the work is done.
There is always a recourse for bad work, if you have documentation. Get paper work, take pictures, check the work. Next time some says, "Well it needs a radiator mam". Afterwards mark the radiator with a Sharpie, or scratch an X in it, anything to ID it. And take a few pictures. THEN take it back for the work. And yes, I'm telling you it is a COMMON scam to just not do the work on cars that run. Or they will say 4 items needs to be done, and only do 2 of them.
And lastly take your case beyond them.
You can talk to a dealership manager until you are blue in the face and get nothing. Leave a bad review on their website or social media platform, and you would be AMAZED what can be done for you.
Next the Better Business Bureau, same thing.
And lastly, small claims court.

I really do wish you luck, but you need to make it happen. Todays world is nothing like when we were young. :cry:

#23 ·
I’m back again about this 2012 Cruze that keeps overheating. I have had the radiator and water pump both replaced in the past six weeks. I was driving Saturday and got the message that the AC was turned off due to overheating. I then almost immediately got the overheating Engine Idle message. The coolant reservoir was empty again even though I’d just put coolant in about a week before, I put more coolant in again but it was gone the next morning. Once again, no coolant on the ground. The fan is running full blast.

I’ve called Chevrolet. They wouldn’t cover the cost of the water pump as they said my VIN number didn’t fall under that special bulletin. My car is a 2012 with now roughly 104,000 miles. They’ve not been helpful at all, I am a senior citizen on a fixed income. I cannot continue to afford these repairs and cannot afford a car payment.

Any ideas on what might be going on now? Sorry to keep posting but I’m just beyond frustrated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.