Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello other Cruze drivers, please bear with me as I may be a bit bitter in my posting. So my 2013 cruze which just rolled 45k miles is having a coolant issue! i took it into the dealership with the 10 year letter and walked out with a $60 bill for them to put dye in the coolant reservoir. Apparently this isn't covered under that piece of 10 year trash i was given. Is this true or was i just fed another line of B******t by my dealer? if it isn't covered I will do the repairs myself!
Text Paper Document Font Paper product

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
10 year letter
It all depends on what's leaking. Some things are covered, some are not. The water pump has a extended warranty, the water outlet is covered by Powertrain (assuming you haven't gone over 100,000 miles) but any hoses are only covered by the B2B which expired at 36K miles.

If it's found that what's leaking is covered, I think you should be able to get a refund on this bill.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response ChevyGuy! i just don't want to have them repair it only to find out its not covered under the warranty. If i have someone else do it and don't do it myself it would save me a lot of money by not going through the dealer. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place right now

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Regardless, the next step is to figure out what's leaking.

Reactions: Tomko

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Well.....hold off on the aggravation for a bit because you are in mid-diagnostics.

The dealer has to be able to find a failed part to apply a repair.....in this case, they cannot just replace the water pump unless leakage was found while pressure testing.
Looking at this situation differently, lets say the dealer replaced the pump even though it pressure tested good.
A week later, the coolant level has dropped several inches again.

Now, you have lost faith in the dealer because there apparently is a leak point elsewhere that was overlooked. You go back, another pressure test is performed, the leak remains too slow to find, so, a dye is added.....1/2 hour labor plus the dye charged to you.

The loss continues and now you have to go to the dealer a third time in the hopes a dye trail (a black light is used to see it) is now visible and the correct repair can be applied.

There are many potential leak points in any cooling system.....heater core, every single hose joint (I think nine) the head gasket as well as the water pump and radiator side tanks.

If, the water pump ends up being the source of leakage you have every right to ask for reimbursement of your diagnostic expense.
Since the pump was the cause that required the dye test, the dealer can redirect that expense to Chevrolet.

If any other leak point is discovered, this is just a good diagnostic method to make a accurate repair.

Good luck....keep in touch,
Rob

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Being that the B to B New Car Limited Warranty ended February 28th 16, you will usually pay for any Dealer diagnosis. Let's say you go to a Doctor and he doesn't find anything. Well that could be good news although you still will get his bill. What's worse, you might be really sick but the Doctor just didn't find it.

I did notice the Labor rate at your Dealer seems to be $500, at my Dealer that line says $105. You need to be careful in what you authorize

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
While I agree with using the dye, it's a $10-$15 bottle that can be dumped in in the service drive area.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
The approach your dealer has taken seems reasonable to me.

Reactions: ChevyGuy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I realize now that i may have been a bit quick to get angry about the charge for the dye in the tank. I was angry because i had to wait 3 hours for them to do so even though i had set up an appointment a week in advance and they weren't busy at all. just oil changes that they do in one of the bays. thanks for all of the responses :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts