Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.8l auto 2011 cruze. i drove it today to work and then the rpms started to bounce from 1100 to 700. i pulled over and then i removed oil cap then i heard compresion noise like no other. i put the oil cap back on then i drove to my work. i work for a chevy dealership so that a bonus i guess.. they said my head gasket might had gone or a cracked block or a cylinder is gone. i bought a K&N square air filter and they are blaming that. i only have 68,752kms on the car it is 2 years old. is this common thing , i think my car was built was on a friday night or a weekend. lol .... this is all covered under warrenty

this makes me mad.

·
Registered
354 Posts
see i dont understand that either.. the mechanic said that.. i was no way it has nothing to do with that. so they took that filter out and put the original one back in.
Everything is under warranty still, correct?

At this point that's all that matters. Going forward just keep a stock filter in your trunk and swap it out when you run into more issues. I always made my cars bone stock when they went in for oil changes, warranty work or ect..

It's easier to swap some parts than get into a warranty fight.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
You might want to have them check your water pump as well. The only car I've ever had head gasket problems on had a faulty water pump. Once the water pump was replaced the head gaskets stopped warping.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they said the head gasket,. they want to know how oil got into the coolant. i told them to look at the water pump as well... still addiment that the head gasket they took the K&N air filter and put it into the trunk. i am gonna put it back on when this crap is all done.

·
Registered
110 Posts
head gasket would make sense, but yours would be the first i've heard of. usually when the coolant bottle looks brown it's a head gasket issue (usually caused by air filter lolololol) but you may have a cracked block or head or other unknown issue.

water pump is a 1.4 issue, and even then they don't blow head gaskets.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
The other thing it could be is a leaking transmission heat exchanger, the one that is inside the radiator. It could be leaking into the coolant. Either way, I don't see how a K&N air filter would cause the issue.

Reactions: 1990tsi

·
Registered
151 Posts
see i dont understand that either.. the mechanic said that.. i was no way it has nothing to do with that. so they took that filter out and put the original one back in.
"Mechanic" is def. the right word for that guy... If he thinks that a drop in filter has in any way cause your problem I wouldnt even let him look at my car. Just my opinion, good luck and I dont see any reason why your car shouldnt get fixed under warranty. Ive worked for GM for 11 years and have seen stuff covered under warranty just because a customer complained.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Mechanic" is def. the right word for that guy... If he thinks that a drop in filter has in any way cause your problem I wouldnt even let him look at my car. Just my opinion, good luck and I dont see any reason why your car shouldnt get fixed under warranty. Ive worked for GM for 11 years and have seen stuff covered under warranty just because a customer complained.
I requested another mechanic look at the car. I told them to really look at the engine. And screw me around I bug them every chance I get. To make sure everything is done right.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
110 Posts
The radiator is something I forgot about, that's a good call from page 1! I havn't owned an auto cruze so I wasn't sure if the rad and trans cooler were in the same unit.

(Ford sometimes puts the trans cooler in the AC condenser haha)

if your dealer is still screwing you around feel free to come see mine!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what dealership do u go too...???? 1990sti

The radiator is something I forgot about, that's a good call from page 1! I havn't owned an auto cruze so I wasn't sure if the rad and trans cooler were in the same unit.

(Ford sometimes puts the trans cooler in the AC condenser haha)

if your dealer is still screwing you around feel free to come see mine!

·
Super Moderator
5,180 Posts
There is no way a K&N drop in filter would do that! The dealer/mechanic is trying to blame something other than the real problem a blown head gasket or a leaking transmission heat exchanger. My money is on the head gasket: esp since you said i removed oil cap then i heard compression noise like no other and they agreed: They said my head gasket might had gone or a cracked block or a cylinder is gone. There is really no way to tell other than removing the head and looking at that or even checking the oil level to see if it is milky(has antifreeze in it) or is low. I hope they gave you back the K&N. Those thing are expensive, but did it fix the problem, when they put the new filter in it. I have a K&N in my car also and I am thinking about when I have to take my car in for service. Them replacing the filter with a stock filter. The air filter would not cause a problem like that!

·
Registered
53 Posts
they said the head gasket,. they want to know how oil got into the coolant. i told them to look at the water pump as well... still addiment that the head gasket they took the K&N air filter and put it into the trunk. i am gonna put it back on when this crap is all done.
If the head gasket starts leaking (depending on where) it can cross-contaminate the coolant and oil since both are being sealed in adjacent chambers by the head gasket. That will make the coolant brown with oil and the oil foamy with coolant. Based on what you have already seen, the head gasket is the most likely suspect.
BTW, the only thing a K&N air filter might do to an engine is allow slightly larger molecules of crud to enter the intake system which might cause slightly more cylinder wall wear and eventually cause extra oil burning. It won't contribute to a defective head gasket seal.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
K&N panel filters come with a little card that has their phone # on it. The card specifically says that if the mechanic blames power train malfunction on the filter to have the mechanic call that number and a K&N rep will tell them just how f-ing stupid they are and that they should just quit their job and go flip burgers.

Seriously, go find that card and give it to the mechanic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts