Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze LT/RS, 1.4L 4-cyl Turbo
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Cruze for a few months now, and what I've noticed is after doing about 10 minutes of 72mph driving to and from work, even on chillier days, the engine is VERY hot. It is a salvage title car and I honestly don't trust the people whom I bought it from, as well as the capacitor in the radiator fan is blown. Besides these issues, is there anything else I should be checking or be worried about? Side note, my temp gauge always goes up to one line under halfway. I have never seen it higher.
Another concern: The valve cover seems to have been removed at some point, and I don’t know if it was put back on.. correctly/safely. Pictures attached that show my concern.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,105 Posts
I've had my Cruze for a few months now, and what I've noticed is after doing about 10 minutes of 72mph driving to and from work, even on chillier days, the engine is VERY hot. It is a salvage title car and I honestly don't trust the people whom I bought it from, as well as the capacitor in the radiator fan is blown. Besides these issues, is there anything else I should be checking or be worried about? Side note, my temp gauge always goes up to one line under halfway. I have never seen it higher.
Another concern: The valve cover seems to have been removed at some point, and I don’t know if it was put back on.. correctly/safely. Pictures attached that show my concern.
What are you using to determine that the engine is very hot? A digital laser thermometer, scan gauge etc.?

what-temperature-should-the-cruze-be-running-at.

There are no caps in the radiator fan that I know of. Resisters aplenty though.
Fan resister replacement
Fan Speeds
Diagnosing bad fan/resistor pack

As for the valve cover, are you referring to the blob of silicone? If so, there should be two spots, one on the intake side and one on the exhaust side.

How-To: Replace the Valve/Camshaft Cover (1.4L Turbo)

You should consider replacing the two roundish grimey things in the last picture. Easy and cheap to do yourself.]

How-To: Replace CPASV (Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve) Seals

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you using to determine that the engine is very hot? A digital laser thermometer, scan gauge etc.?

what-temperature-should-the-cruze-be-running-at.

There are no caps in the radiator fan that I know of. Resisters aplenty though.
Fan resister replacement
Fan Speeds
Diagnosing bad fan/resistor pack

As for the valve cover, are you referring to the blob of silicone? If so, there should be two spots, one on the intake side and one on the exhaust side.

How-To: Replace the Valve/Camshaft Cover (1.4L Turbo)
You should consider replacing the two roundish grimey things in the last picture. Easy and cheap to do yourself.]

How-To: Replace CPASV (Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve) Seals
For the heat.. My hands. I open the engine bay to a large amount of hot air, and the hood stand and almost hot enough to burn my hand. It just seems too warm.
For the resistor pack, my bad, just the wrong wording. I have a new fan with resistor pack but I cannot figure out how to get the old one out, so I'm sort of just waiting to pay to have it done.
The valve cover just seems a little sketchy, I don't think that blob should be sticking out the way it is and wasn't sure overall.
The grimey things in the last picture had me a tad nervous because it sort of looks like oil. (Possibly something to do with the valve cover due to close proximity?)

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,105 Posts
For the heat.. My hands. I open the engine bay to a large amount of hot air, and the hood stand and almost hot enough to burn my hand. It just seems too warm.
For the resistor pack, my bad, just the wrong wording. I have a new fan with resistor pack but I cannot figure out how to get the old one out, so I'm sort of just waiting to pay to have it done.
The valve cover just seems a little sketchy, I don't think that blob should be sticking out the way it is and wasn't sure overall.
The grimey things in the last picture had me a tad nervous because it sort of looks like oil. (Possibly something to do with the valve cover due to close proximity?)
Did you read any of the accompanying links I posted?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yeah the engine gets hot. Coolant will run 195 - 225F. Anything above 140-150 you can only touch for less than 1 second or you burn your fingers. Your in car temp gauge should be running just short of 1/2 way up the needle sweep.

The RTV blob doesn't mean anything. It means that someone replaced the valve cover and decided to use RTV in addition to the rubber gasket that comes with it. You can get by without RTV if the gasket is good. There are really only 2 spots on the engine that might need RTV when you change the valve cover and that is a maybe.

For the radiator fan, if the fan is not coming on at all then that needs to get fixed.

The grimy-ness on the engine. No big F deal, your not eating off of it. If it concerns you then read up on how to safely power wash an engine. But in reality a grimy engine is NBFD.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the radiator fan, if the fan is not coming on at all then that needs to get fixed.
It only has the high speed - I've seen its a common issue. I just can't be asked to figure out how to get that fan out.
The grimy-ness on the engine. No big F deal, your not eating off of it. If it concerns you then read up on how to safely power wash an engine. But in reality a grimy engine is NBFD.
I honestly don't care that it is grimy - My concern is we found out the sellers were shady after we bought it, AND they didn't tell us it was a salvage title. But, if it's nothing important, so be it.
Did you read any of the accompanying links I posted?
Yes - not sure what that has to do with my reply.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Unless you are having issues with a rough idle, I would not worry about the valve cover. The camshaft seals look dirty though. Clean them up and see if they are leaking oil. It could also be an issue with the water pump. I have had coolant spray up there from a hole in the hose.

These engines run pretty hot. I would recommend getting a cheap OBD II reader and seeing how hot it is running. My 1.4l runs from 220-225 during operation. I only see my fan come on or off, I do not realize a speed either.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,610 Posts
If your fan is only on with one speed, it needs replaced as the resistor has blown. I believe there are 3 speeds. Mine runs on low once the engine heats up, and constantly stays on low unless it’s a really hot day out and the A/C is on.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
It only has the high speed - I've seen its a common issue. I just can't be asked to figure out how to get that fan out.

I honestly don't care that it is grimy - My concern is we found out the sellers were shady after we bought it, AND they didn't tell us it was a salvage title. But, if it's nothing important, so be it.

Yes - not sure what that has to do with my reply.
One line below middle is correct temp. Everything seems fine to me just get the fan fixed. Also not to be a dick but it’s kinda your own fault for not checking the title status when signing the paperwork. But also not nice of them to not disclose that information.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
RTV is recommended around the timing chain side to keep it from leaking. Should be good there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fan replacement

The amount of times I've seen this video.. I've tried it - it's different, somehow someway, it is. Again I'll just pay for it. CBA.
One line below middle is correct temp. Everything seems fine to me just get the fan fixed. Also not to be a dick but it’s kinda your own fault for not checking the title status when signing the paperwork. But also not nice of them to not disclose that information.
Yeah.. If we wanna be technical, it was my dad that signed it, but I honestly don't know how we didn't know beforehand

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The amount of times I've seen this video.. I've tried it - it's different, somehow someway, it is. Again I'll just pay for it. CBA.

Yeah.. If we wanna be technical, it was my dad that signed it, but I honestly don't know how we didn't know beforehand
Wanted to bump to see if anyone had any other videos or posts on steps to replacing the fan. Video in the quote isn’t for my exact car, this fan is driving me insane so I want to get it replaced

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wanted to bump to see if anyone had any other videos or posts on steps to replacing the fan. Video in the quote isn’t for my exact car, this fan is driving me insane so I want to get it replaced
UPDATE: FINALLY GOT IT!! There was a small tab that held down the fans clip with a lever/button type thing on the side that had to be pressed down, I just couldn’t find it until I checked. After that, I took off the top plastics, half took of the front bumper, and removed the top bar above the radiator (for clearance) and it came right out. Now I don’t have a leaf blower for a fan! Thanks for all the help everyone!

Reactions: Mr_Pat
1 - 14 of 14 Posts