Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably going to be more confusing than it needs to be!

I've been doing some routine maintenance on my son's 2013 Eco. During cooling system flushing, I noticed that the fan never came on. Then I noticed that the fan doesn't start when the AC is switched on. (It might need a little refrigerant because it doesn't get cold until the car is moving over 30mph.) The outside temperature was in the mid to upper 80's. I even went for a drive. The fan never came on, but it also didn't give a warning about over-heating. The temperature gauge...I don't even trust it. It reaches a certain point and just stays there. Is it just me or is any of this suspicious?

All cooling fan fuses seem good.

I tried testing the fan speeds by jumping pins 87 and 30 for each final relay.
Relay 10 should run the fan at low speed, but nothing happens. Not sure if I'm making a mistake or not.
Relay 09 will run the fan at medium speed.
Relay 13 will run the fan at high speed. (I think I also had to jumper relay 03, speed control.)

I learned that, for the ECU control the fan, low speed requires relays 12 (cooling fan) and 10, and high speed requires relays 12, 03 (speed control), and 13. So, if relay 12 fails, no low OR high speed. If relay 03 fails, no high speed. Medium should work with only relay 09 active.

If that meant anything to you, any suggestions or feedback?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'd unplug the fan and try it direct. The resistors that convert the fan into a 3-speed fan is a high fail item. Unfortunately, those resistors are part of the fan assembly and not sold separately.

The temp gauge isn't a real temp gauge - it's a computer readout. As long as the engine has reached operating temperature and the computer is happy with it, it will park the needle one tick "cold" from middle. This might be in part because the desired operating temperature changes depending on the demands on the engine. The designers may have felt that would be confusing to the user.

Reactions: hiro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the direct connection is the only option. Just pull that cover off the top where the harness connects?

The coolant temperature seemed good today, I think. First time using an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter. I think it registered just above 90*F and the gauge was at its fixed point already. I wish the car had a real readout.

NA_Cruze_temp_2018-06-05.jpg

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Use the obd2 to monitor coolant temp. Fan don't kick on till it hits 230. Normal operating temp is 221 i think it was. Yes, it's hot but that's the design for the gen1's. Gen1's are up to 2016 models.

As for the ac. I won't swear on the gen1's but the gen 2 has a high pressure fan switch. Unlike cars of yesteryear where the fan came on with the ac. These days the fan don't kick on till the high pressure gets high enough. Thus, ac will work better on the highway vs. city.

Those with a gen1 will have to say wether the fan works with a high pressure switch or the ac switch.

Cars being low on freon doesn't surprise me. I just took a certification course online so i can continue to buy freon bigger then a can. There's a new method for charging cars these days. Top off's are no longer allowed. Today i took my cert to napa and bought 30lbs freon and a new weight scale to replace my dead scale.

Following the new procedures per the book. Our cars come with only 60% capacity. I did my chev, my dad's ford, and my sons mazda. All fairly new. All have 100% capacity per the lables on the cars now.

And this was all done by the 609 book. Google and Youtube were not involved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put the gauge from a Super Tech refrigerant can on the low pressure line and it indicated full charge with the compressor running. According to the gauge 45 PSI is a full charge.

The car is being driven to Florida tomorrow, so I can't do any more work on it. If it survives the Florida summer, it should be good I guess!

BTW, the cooling fan in my wife's 2016 Honda CRV runs at low speed as soon as the AC is switched on.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I put the gauge from a Super Tech refrigerant can on the low pressure line and it indicated full charge with the compressor running. According to the gauge 45 PSI is a full charge.

The car is being driven to Florida tomorrow, so I can't do any more work on it. If it survives the Florida summer, it should be good I guess!

BTW, the cooling fan in my wife's 2016 Honda CRV runs at low speed as soon as the AC is switched on.
45 PSI is too high. You could be overcharged. A good pressure is 28 - 35.

My sons 16 mazda fan works with ac switch. My friends 15 toyota has the high pressure switch. So it depends on the manufacture.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
You'll have a better idea on pressure if you can figure out the fan. I wouldn't go off the blue area though. Anything above 38 is too high.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts