Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this car since February 2022 and it stopped working after a few months because of the coolant system I’m not sure exactly what happened but the water outlet pipeline on the driver side broke off inside the radiator hose that’s located on the driver side and leaked coolant everywhere. I have had this part and hose replaced with a brand new thermostat as well. I drove it today for about an hour mind the temperature outside being 103 Fahrenheit to take my girlfriend to work. When I first left I noticed the temperature gauge would gradually go up and about 5 minutes or less it was already one tick under the half way point. It never passed this point throughout the drive but the cooling fan/radiator fan never turned on until I turned on the a/c and then I could here the fan blasting. I only drove it with a/c on about 10 minutes from home. Would anybody know why my cooling fan doesn’t turn on by it’s self I am worried that my engine will overheat again. Could it be a bad resistor on the fan, fuse or relay, and or possibly temperature sensor for both radiator and the water outlet pipeline?

· Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,238 Posts
Everything you wrote tells me the car is cooling just fine. If you are still worried get an OBD2 reader, and get back to us on the ECT readings.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also just drove it tonight temp outside was 97 Fahrenheit temp gauge still seems to be rising fast but I noticed I was wrong about how fast it goes up it seems to be less than 5 minutes it’s about the time it takes for me to leave my neighborhood and get to main roads it’s already at the halfway point.

· Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,238 Posts
What kind of tool would that be?
There are literally a thousand choices of obd2 readers, I suggest this one.

The cooling system on our cars is actually fairly complicated, and no one can diagnose it 100% over the internet.
But once again, it is going to be really really hard to fix something that isn't broken.

If you ever plan on working on cars, or really care about how they are operating you NEED a reader. For example, you are watching the coolant temperature gauge in the car dash. Well guess what, that gauge doesn't always show the ACTUAL coolant temperature. As the coolant heats up, the gauge stops at about 195F (that is about 1 tick short of half way). Then as you drive the car the coolant should get to about and stay at 230F.

Get a reader, observe and document the ECT parameter (engine coolant temperature) and get back to us. Or good luck to you.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are literally a thousand choices of obd2 readers, I suggest this one.

The cooling system on our cars is actually fairly complicated, and no one can diagnose it 100% over the internet.
But once again, it is going to be really really hard to fix something that isn't broken.

If you ever plan on working on cars, or really care about how they are operating you NEED a reader. For example, you are watching the coolant temperature gauge in the car dash. Well guess what, that gauge doesn't always show the ACTUAL coolant temperature. As the coolant heats up, the gauge stops at about 195F (that is about 1 tick short of half way). Then as you drive the car the coolant should get to about and stay at 230F.

Get a reader, observe and document the ECT parameter (engine coolant temperature) and get back to us. Or good luck to you.
Thank you so much I will check on this

· Registered
8 Posts
I have had this car since February 2022 and it stopped working after a few months because of the coolant system I’m not sure exactly what happened but the water outlet pipeline on the driver side broke off inside the radiator hose that’s located on the driver side and leaked coolant everywhere. I have had this part and hose replaced with a brand new thermostat as well. I drove it today for about an hour mind the temperature outside being 103 Fahrenheit to take my girlfriend to work. When I first left I noticed the temperature gauge would gradually go up and about 5 minutes or less it was already one tick under the half way point. It never passed this point throughout the drive but the cooling fan/radiator fan never turned on until I turned on the a/c and then I could here the fan blasting. I only drove it with a/c on about 10 minutes from home. Would anybody know why my cooling fan doesn’t turn on by it’s self I am worried that my engine will overheat again. Could it be a bad resistor on the fan, fuse or relay, and or possibly temperature sensor for both radiator and the water outlet pipeline?
It's normal.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These cars get up to 234 alot and then thermostat will open. The car is made to like it that hot. Bad thing is that the parts are not made to withstand that temp constantly up and down, in winter,summer. I'd look into Cruze X. Aluminum part that you replaced. It will never break.
Yeah the cooling fan did kick in after a while so it seems to be cooling down just intake manifold issues that are causing my valve cover to leak oil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.