Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was down at the dealer lookin at the 2015 cruze and noticed the 1.4L engine had copper plated exhaust manifold bolts-stuck out like a sore thumb !!
so now I'm wondering if they have had a bolt seizure problem with the aluminum head, I have that going on with my ford truck and the timing cover bolts are seized to the cover
any of you GM mechanics seen a problem with those manifold bolts and do you think it's worth replacing them ??? if so part number ?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Maybe it's to keep the bolt heads from rusting and making future turbo replacement difficult?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dunno, been my experience if you put 2 dissimilar metals together-one ferrous and one non ferrous and add heat it starts electrolysis which slowly eats the bolts and welds the two pieces together, was just out looking at my 2013 bolts and I can't tell if they might be stainless or not, there does appear to be a stainless shim thing that jumps between the bolts in question--not sure what the purpose of that is either

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Piqued my curiosity, so I had to go look at my cars. Both the '03 Protege5 and the '13 Civic have stainless steel exhaust manifold bolts. The r18a in the Civic has an integral exhaust manifold cast as part of the head, so the first thing attached is the primary CAT which has four stainless steel bolts. I guess copper plating the bolts is cheaper than using SS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts