Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Could it be my struts?

3864 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  alexeilb
So finally after a month of fidgeting with my drums, I finally had them replaced. Since I completely destroyed old drums due to them being caught up on the lip I replaced everything.. Backing plate, hub, shoes, drum, wheel cylinder, and all the hardware. I took my car in to have my brake fluid flushed and ever since have developed a pretty loud knocking in the rear right side during hard braking. Took the drums off again tonight and sand the shoes with 150 grit sandpaper, knocking went away temporarily just to return again. The drums are not out of round as I swapped them from one side to another, the knocking persists to only the right side. I am starting to think perhaps my struts are bad and need replacing, any thoughts?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
240 Posts
To my knowledge (since I haven't physically worked on a Cruze yet) there are struts in the front. Shocks, coil springs and a straight axle in the rear of a Gen 1 Cruze. Much like an HHR that I HAVE worked on. I wouldn't guess suspension since it's only happening during braking and the fact that it started after the brakes have been serviced. Maybe double check the brakes on that side one more time with the drum off. Be sure the primary(short) shoe is on the "front" side and all your hardware is exactly where it needs to be.

If you wanted to check suspension, check for play within the bushings where the axle mounts to the frame and the bushings for your shocks. If there's a sway bar, there will be bushings for that as well. That's about it for suspension though.

Good luck!

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,121 Posts
Did you adjust the adjuster (haha) when you put the new brake components in? If not, one of the shoes could be hanging loose.

Otherwise, that sounds like the wheel bearing could be dying - though rear wheel bearing failures aren't all that common (compared to front wheel bearing failures)...

Reactions: Blasirl

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To my knowledge (since I haven't physically worked on a Cruze yet) there are struts in the front. Shocks, coil springs and a straight axle in the rear of a Gen 1 Cruze. Much like an HHR that I HAVE worked on. I wouldn't guess suspension since it's only happening during braking and the fact that it started after the brakes have been serviced. Maybe double check the brakes on that side one more time with the drum off. Be sure the primary(short) shoe is on the "front" side and all your hardware is exactly where it needs to be.

If you wanted to check suspension, check for play within the bushings where the axle mounts to the frame and the bushings for your shocks. If there's a sway bar, there will be bushings for that as well. That's about it for suspension though.

Good luck!
You're right shocks and coil springs in the rear. I took everything off again today to double check, re lubed contact points and put everything back together. Took it for a spin same thing, clunk, clunk, clunk under heavy braking. I also pulled the parking brake while moving and same thing, clunk, clunk clunk..... I have no idea what they did to my car, this was not an issue before their service, not even sure why they took the drum off when all I asked for was a brake flush, tire rotation, and balance.

Could it be the parking brake cable too tight? Drums not adjusted properly? All I did to adjust is more the star wheel until I can slip the drum on and feel slight resistance while turning by hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.