Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you post your battery voltage info please.
I had my battery replaced a few days ago, went and fueled up and checked what it was sitting at, it was at 11.8v brand new battery after two 1 hour runs today and sitting for 5 mins.
I have been using the car every day driving it at least a 1/2 hour drive one way.
Voltage before start, length of avg drive and voltage after drive with a 5 - 10 min wait.
Thank you.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a 15 CTD with original battery. Put into service 11/15. 59K miles. volts generally read between 14-15 for my city 5 mile city commute. When on the highway for extended time, then volts drop to around 12. I generally don't look at voltage before start

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
11.8 is correct prior to starting the car. This is actually the "12" volts for a 12 volt car battery. Full charging is 14.6 to 15.2 volts. Voltage ranges in between indicate lower levels of charging and are load dependent.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I had my battery replaced a few days ago, went and fueled up and checked what it was sitting at, it was at 11.8v brand new battery after two 1 hour runs today and sitting for 5 mins.
I have been using the car every day driving it at least a 1/2 hour drive one way.
Voltage before start, length of avg drive and voltage after drive with a 5 - 10 min wait.
Thank you.
Are you asking for the voltage directly measured with a voltmeter on the battery terminals?

Or does the voltage reading on the DIC = the same thing?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Five hours sitting in a semi-heated garage, 63°, then with ignition on no start… 11.9v
Backing out, lights, heater, radio on, 15.1v, then for about one minute.
Normal operating range while driving, 14.7 - 14.9v, after about three minutes.
2014 LT 1.4, with original battery.
Temps outside, 3° F

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
"Full" voltage for a 12V car battery is ~12.5-12.8V depending on outside temp.

Mine's sitting at 12.4 before starting, outside in the teens. I had to put it on a charger last week because it was @ 11.7 and starting quite slowly. It took on about 3 hours of charge before.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
11.8 is correct prior to starting the car. This is actually the "12" volts for a 12 volt car battery. Full charging is 14.6 to 15.2 volts. Voltage ranges in between indicate lower levels of charging and are load dependent.
11.8 is too low. My new battery clocks in at 12.2 - 12.3.

Old one clocked at 11.9 - 12.0 and got warranteed for replacement.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
If you're going off teh DIC. You can't do that. It's not real time live information.

jblackburn posts the correct information. But you need an actual volt meter connected to the battery or run an obd2 app for the next best thing. The DIC isn't accurate.

I just went the rounds with old and new battery. And was also concerned about the alternator. Turns out my concerns were unjustified.

·
2,170 Posts
Thank you.
The best advice I ever got was to never have the battery voltage screen displayed on the DIC. Just look at anything else.

Reactions: IndyDiesel

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
I have a 4 year old battery in my 2013 RS and never look at it. Been @ 0 for the last several days and no problem so far. I just say does the car start? Maybe I am just simple minded and don't think about gauges like that unless there is a problem.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Considering all the electronics of our cars these days. And the fact that a low battery will effect the rest of the car. As in poor heating with vents, seats, and rear window. And anything else.

That be the first clue there's a problem. As I've already found out. I"m one who likes to keep on top and fix problems before there's a problem.

I wouldn't rely on the DIC for anything accurate. Not only is voltage unreliable. Fuel mileage is also off base. I do the math between mileage gone and gallons filled up. It's always short of what DIC says.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you're going off teh DIC. You can't do that. It's not real time live information.

jblackburn posts the correct information. But you need an actual volt meter connected to the battery or run an obd2 app for the next best thing. The DIC isn't accurate.

I just went the rounds with old and new battery. And was also concerned about the alternator. Turns out my concerns were unjustified.
I will check with my obd2 to make sure its accurate.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So I checked my DIC compared to my OBD2 and they are in sync with each other, My DIC at least is very accurate.

So after driving around for an hour this morning then waited awhile before checking what the battery was at it was sitting at 12.2.

I just dont get why the battery was at 11.8 yesterday when it was driving for a longer period.
Why dosnt GM want the battery to charge up properly.
The fuel mileage was wonky, shifting was odd and radio was loosing stations yesterday as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
This morning after driving @ 1 mile, mine was at 14.7 as per the DIC and being in a garage over night

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
2014 CTD 80k Miles
New Battery (Oct)
Ambient Temp 60 F
20-minute Trip 60% Hwy
Voltage At Idle
DIC - 12.4v
SGII - 11.6v-12.1v

While driving SGII voltage varies from 11.6 up to 14.7

Reactions: Cruz15 and BU54

·
Registered
314 Posts
A fully charged 12 volt battery is 12.6 volts. Each cell is 2.1 volts. But yes you’re correct about your range during charging.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
So I checked my DIC compared to my OBD2 and they are in sync with each other, My DIC at least is very accurate.

So after driving around for an hour this morning then waited awhile before checking what the battery was at it was sitting at 12.2.

I just dont get why the battery was at 11.8 yesterday when it was driving for a longer period.
Why dosnt GM want the battery to charge up properly.
The fuel mileage was wonky, shifting was odd and radio was loosing stations yesterday as well.
So what you're saying is that your DIC isn't sluggish upon startup????? As in slowly builds the number up. What you're saying is that your DIC IMMEDIATELY showed 14+ volts upon startup? And matches your obd2 number for number the second that engine fires up?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So what you're saying is that your DIC isn't sluggish upon startup????? As in slowly builds the number up. What you're saying is that your DIC IMMEDIATELY showed 14+ volts upon startup? And matches your obd2 number for number the second that engine fires up?
My DIC is showing what my OBD2 shows, simple as that.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts