Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else had this issue with their Gen2 sedan?

I've been babying my Cruze for the past year, with 3-bucket washes and multiple layers of protection. However, I noticed one small crack in the (I forget the proper name for it) plastic surrounding the brake light above the rear windshield. First, it was a tiny crack on one side. While the other side of the plastic housing began to crack in the exact same place, the original crack on the passenger side has gotten bigger.

While I'd bet no Chevy dealer would repair/replace that piece, my Cruze doesn't get pelted with rocks or other debris. Since the 2 cracks occur in the exact same place on either side of the plastic housing on the roof, that leads me to believe that it's some kind of defect.

I guess it's just a part of daily-driving the car, but has anyone else had the same issue?

EDIT: I'll try to post a pic, but my phone takes forever

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
I thought that there was a TSB on this?

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
There's a TSB on the screws and gaskets, for letting water into the trunk and battery compartment.
Then there's a campaign to put drains in the battery compartment, to get rid of the water from the center brake lamp...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today, I took my Cruze to the same dealer where I purchased it. After the third brake light housing has been cracked for several months, water finally started leaking into the trunk and spare tire compartment.

I have seen pictures taken by fellow forum members who have had the same problem with their Gen 2s. Of course, the guy I spoke with on the phone assumed it was something I did, and not the plastic piece being fastened to tightly.

They're not going to charge me for the repair, but I'm just a little irritated that this guy assumed it was my fault the third tail light was cracked-

"It looks like somebody's been buffin' on your car , too hard.".

Seriously?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cracked 3rd Brake Light Housing

2017 Cruze TD here with the same issue. Took the car to the dealership. They asked if something had hit the light. Nope! The lady had to get the service manager to take a look at it. While I was waiting I walked to the show room where there was a brand new 2017 Cruze TD on the floor, GUESS WHAT! SAME ISSUE. The service manager changed his tone right then and there and ordered me a new assembly no more questions asked. Cracked on the passenger side of the housing. They are tightning the housing down too much from the factory. Power tools shouldn't be used when the repair is made.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dealer was unwilling to fix this under warranty in my case. I did press the dealer, and contact GM directly. No dice. Higher up at the dealer told me they're not able to determine the cause of the crack, but it is not a warranty issue.

They charged $350 for the repair.
Architecture Automotive exterior Material property Shade Roof

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Dealer was unwilling to fix this under warranty in my case. I did press the dealer, and contact GM directly. No dice. Higher up at the dealer told me they're not able to determine the cause of the crack, but it is not a warranty issue.

They charged $350 for the repair.
View attachment 271619
That sucks. That crack is right above a fastener, that's where they crack when overtorqued, and if torqued with guide lines not centered.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I've been babying my Cruze for the past year, with 3-bucket washes and multiple layers of protection. However, I noticed one small crack in the (I forget the proper name for it) plastic surrounding the brake light above the rear windshield. First, it was a tiny crack on one side. While the other side of the plastic housing began to crack in the exact same place, the original crack on the passenger side has gotten bigger.

While I'd bet no Chevy dealer would repair/replace that piece, my Cruze doesn't get pelted with rocks or other debris. Since the 2 cracks occur in the exact same place on either side of the plastic housing on the roof, that leads me to believe that it's some kind of defect.

I guess it's just a part of daily-driving the car, but has anyone else had the same issue?

THERE IS A RECALL FOR A WATER LEAK, I HAD IT DONE A COUPLE YEARS AGO AND NOW IT IS CRACKED AND OUT OF WARRANTY SO NOW I'M REPLACING IT MYSELF.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm here because this happened to us too. How did the water damage get repaired for you all? The rea
son I noticed the issue is there is a water mark line all across the ceiling in the back seat at the same spot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I called GM, but they said it wasn't their problem. The local dealer didn't even call me back to give me an estimate on the work. I ended up ordering the part here: High Mounted Stop Lamp for 2017 Chevrolet Cruze | GMPartsDirect.com

Luckily I didn't have any water leaking into the headliner. I followed the instructions in the bulletin pasted below when I installed the new light. It was a fairly easy job.

I also had to buy a torque wrench that could be set at 8 Nm to tighten the nuts.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the same issue with my 17 Cruze I got frustrated and pulled the corner piece off and now water has leaked through and damaged the ceiling interior with water damage

1 - 20 of 36 Posts