Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I need to replace the front crank seal on the 2014 LT. Can engine damage be done if using an impact wrench to remove the balancer bolt?
The following Alldata text ( images attached) shows the special hand tools that a dealer would probably have.
Does the independent mechanic/garage use an impact wrench, or are the crank pulley (counter-pressure) holders a common tool? I saw balancer pulley puller sets on Amazon but that is a different use.
The concept is simple, like locking or unlocking 2 nuts on a bolt.
The special wrench holds the inner part of the balancer clockwise while loosening the bolt ccw. If a strap wrench is used to hold the outer part of the balancer instead, will that torque the rubber damper to distort? Can a strap wrench hold 115 ft lb?
Common sense says the the purpose of the dampening pully is to reduce sharp vibration on the crankshaft, albeit over a lifetime of countless rotations and the impact wrench is only for 15 seconds or so...
Too many questions, I know other members have used the impact wrench method, but I would be the exception on doing engine damage...
and yes i have a new gm bolt:)
Thanks as usual.
Dave

Crankshaft Balancer Replacement

• Crankshaft Balancer Replacement

CRANKSHAFT BALANCER REPLACEMENT
Document ID: 2324073

• Special Tools
  • EN-470–B - Angular Torque Wrench
  • EN-956–1 - Extension
  • EN-49979 - Crankshaft Shock Mount Retainer
For equivalent regional tools, refer to Special Tools.
Removal Procedure
  1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
  2. Remove the right wheelhouse liner. Refer to Front Wheelhouse Liner Replacement.
  3. Fix the drive belt tensioner, remove the drive belt from crankshaft balancer and lay aside. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement.
  4. Note:: The crankshaft balancer can be incorrectly installed 180° from the required position. Be sure to note the location of the alignment hole on the crankshaft balancer prior to removing the crankshaft balancer from the engine.
  5. Rotate the engine clockwise until the bore (2) in the crankshaft balancer aligns with the mark (1) on the engine front cover.
    Open In New TabZoom/Print
  6. Install EN-49979 - crankshaft shock mount retainer to EN-956–1 - extension .
  7. Loosen the crankshaft balancer bolt (4) while fixing the crankshaft balancer (3) with EN-49979 - crankshaft shock mount retainer (1) and EN-956–1 - extension (2).
  8. Remove and DISCARD the crankshaft balancer bolt (2).
  9. Remove the crankshaft balancer (1).
Installation Procedure
  1. Note: The crankshaft balancer flange must fit to the hexagon of the oil pump rotor (2) and to the two-flat of the crankshaft (1). The TDC markings on crankshaft balancer and engine front cover must match.
  2. Install the crankshaft balancer carefully by pressing into position.
  3. Measure the distance (a) between the crankshaft balancer (2) and the mark on the engine front cover (1). The distance (a) should be 5.5 mm (0.21654 in).
  4. Note: Never re-use the crankshaft balancer bolt.
  5. Install a NEW crankshaft balancer bolt.
  6. Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution.
    Caution: Refer to Torque-to-Yield Fastener Caution.
  7. Tighten the crankshaft balancer bolt (4) to 150 Nm (111 lb ft) while fixing the crankshaft balancer (3) with EN-49979 - crankshaft shock mount retainer (1) and EN-956–1 - extension (2). Use EN-470–B - wrench .
  8. Tighten the crankshaft balancer bolt to an additional 45 - 60 degrees while fixing the crankshaft balancer (3) with EN-49979 - crankshaft shock mount retainer (1) and EN-956–1 - extension (2).
  9. Install the drive belt to the crankshaft balancer and remove the fixing pin. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement.
  10. Install the right wheelhouse liner. Refer to Front Wheelhouse Liner Replacement.
  11. Lower the vehicle.
  12. Check and correct engine oil level.

Attachments

·
Registered
2nd 2012 1.8l mt 147000km
479 Posts
Yeah since a new bolt needs to be used I don't think anyone is going to care. I used an impact to get mine off, and... To install the new bolt.

As for special tools a 1-1/2" box end wrench and an old accessory belt to make a friction grabber for the balancer works niece.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think my question is, will the impact tool cause any issues to engine internals. GM went out of their way to require hand tool use for this job in the service manual.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,769 Posts
I think my question is, will the impact tool cause any issues to engine internals. GM went out of their way to require hand tool use for this job in the service manual.
Not meaning to offend you, but if you're not confident in what you are doing, it's a good idea to take the car to someone who is.

GM goes out of their way quite often to make profit.There are other ways you can safely do things, if you're smart about it.

Hold the pulley still. Then use intermittent bursts with the impact to tighten the bolt.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
None taken;) diy growing pains...and my smarts come in handy in over- analyzing my very typical repairs in front of 1000s of more experienced car fixers...
Ok, it will be the impact way. It'll be the seal, tensioner, belt and new wheel well liner.
Thanks for your help. I'll update this in a couple weeks.
Dave

·
The Nuclear Option
5,769 Posts
None taken;) diy growing pains...and my smarts come in handy in over- analyzing my very typical repairs in front of 1000s of more experienced car fixers...
Ok, it will be the impact way. It'll be the seal, tensioner, belt and new wheel well liner.
Thanks for your help. I'll update this in a couple weeks.
Dave
Your welcome

1 - 7 of 7 Posts