Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this a bit earlier today and didn't get much of a response. I figured I'd post in the diesel section to get a bit more exposure on the issue. Just a quick battery question for everyone. In January 2016 my OEM battery took a dump. I was in a pinch (couldn't do much research) and picked up a Bosch Platinum Series AGM H7/94R (spec wise a much better battery than OEM) from Pep Boys. The battery got me through the rest of the winter and was a champ all summer long. Just recently (start of November) I've noticed that in the mornings when I start my car (it sits outside overnight for about 14 hours), it cranks a lot harder and takes longer to turn over. This got me nervous, as its only been in the low 30Fs and IL winters get far colder than that. I took it to the dealer to have them do some testing on the battery, alternator, etc. Everything came back aces and I was told that the most likely cause was short tripping. I drive to and from work 5 days a week, 20 miles round trip (70% stop and go city, 30% "city hwy" - 40-50mph) and usually get a good hwy drive in once a week. In my mind, that's not really short tripping. What do you guys think? Am I really short tripping? Time for a new battery already? How long does it take to top off the battery charge from the alternator when driving? Any other causes? This was never an issue with the OEM battery. That was great until the morning it just died with no warning.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Short tripping? That doesn't exist. And doesn't cause any problems, especially with starting the car. Could be the battery, could be the glow plugs, could be the diesel if it's been below freezing. If the battery tests good it's most likely ok, but I've had issues with Bosch battery's from pep-boys, and I've seen bad batteries pass the tests.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
it cranks a lot harder and takes longer to turn over.
Can you explain this a bit more? Because I'm not understanding what you mean.

Is it cranking slower? That is, when it cranks, it turns over more slowly? That would either be battery or battery connection/wiring issue. If you can, put a voltmeter on the battery while it's cranking.

Diesels are different from gassers in that if they crank too slowly, they won't start. A gasser just has to get over top dead center and fire the sparkplug. A diesel has to compress the air/fuel mixture fast enough that it burns.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just had my battery replaced ..again...under warranty. I've had two batteries fail in under two years/29000 miles and I'm on my third battery. Dealer says everything checks out OK....but yet two failed batteries in under two years and there is a issue with the Bluetooth draining the battery too that GM has not fixed...I really love this car, but I'm starting to lose confidence in this car.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
and there is a issue with the Bluetooth draining the battery too that GM has not fixed.
The theory there is that you need to end Bluetooth activity (such as ending phone calls or at least transferring to headset) before turning off the car. Otherwise the radio won't go to sleep. Definitely a bug, if true.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I posted this a bit earlier today and didn't get much of a response. I figured I'd post in the diesel section to get a bit more exposure on the issue. Just a quick battery question for everyone. In January 2016 my OEM battery took a dump. I was in a pinch (couldn't do much research) and picked up a Bosch Platinum Series AGM H7/94R (spec wise a much better battery than OEM) from Pep Boys. The battery got me through the rest of the winter and was a champ all summer long. Just recently (start of November) I've noticed that in the mornings when I start my car (it sits outside overnight for about 14 hours), it cranks a lot harder and takes longer to turn over. This got me nervous, as its only been in the low 30Fs and IL winters get far colder than that. I took it to the dealer to have them do some testing on the battery, alternator, etc. Everything came back aces and I was told that the most likely cause was short tripping. I drive to and from work 5 days a week, 20 miles round trip (70% stop and go city, 30% "city hwy" - 40-50mph) and usually get a good hwy drive in once a week. In my mind, that's not really short tripping. What do you guys think? Am I really short tripping? Time for a new battery already? How long does it take to top off the battery charge from the alternator when driving? Any other causes? This was never an issue with the OEM battery. That was great until the morning it just died with no warning.
I agree with CruzeDan in that the battery may be bad yet passing the tests.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's not a theory and it's true...the dealer told me GM has said that the Bluetooth not shutting off if you don't end your phone call or transfer the call back to the phone before shutting off the car...all you got to do to prove it to yourself is shut off the car while the phone is connected to the Bluetooth...then look at the OnStar lights on the rear view mirror after the car is parked...they will all be lit up after the car is parked and that will put a drain on the battery that if parked for 5 days or so will drain the battery dead...but I have made sure that the Bluetooth is shut off with my car since I learned about Bluetooth issue and my second replacement battery still had a cell go bad yet again...on my third battery in less than 2 years. I think there is something wrong with this car for batteries to be dying like they are with this car. I've never in my life have own a car that killed batteries like this Cruze diesel is doing with batterys.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Some have reported odd charging behavior. The Cruze does have a variable charging rate, but the diesel seems to be even stranger than the gasser - frequently going down to 12V or below.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The theory there is that you need to end Bluetooth activity (such as ending phone calls or at least transferring to headset) before turning off the car. Otherwise the radio won't go to sleep. Definitely a bug, if true.
This is true, there is a bulletin for it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Some have reported odd charging behavior. The Cruze does have a variable charging rate, but the diesel seems to be even stranger than the gasser - frequently going down to 12V or below.
Mine seems to vary a lot with the charging...goes from 12.3 up to 15...just slow charged my new dealer installed battery over night and the car showed 12.3 volts right after charging the battery while driving the car...the next day the car was showing 14.9/ 15 volts...then drops back down to 12.3 while stopped at a light...15 volts seems high to me...dealer says that the charging system checked out after testing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mine seems to vary a lot with the charging...goes from 12.3 up to 15...just slow charged my new dealer installed battery over night and the car showed 12.3 volts right after charging the battery while driving the car...the next day the car was showing 14.9/ 15 volts...then drops back down to 12.3 while stopped at a light...15 volts seems high to me...dealer says that the charging system checked out after testing.
This is normal. The "smart" charging system will vary the voltage between 12 and 15 volts depending on charge level and demand. It showing 12.3 volts after you fully charged the battery is exactly what it should have done. It was charged up and therefore didn't need any additional power. It will also drop voltage levels down under heavy throttle to help with horsepower, and raise the voltage/charge rate up during braking to assist with slowing the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
What you don't want to see is any extended time of below 12V. That means that not only is the car not charging the battery, but it's running off of it. Batteries don't like a lot of cycles. If it's charging/discharging while driving, that's going to shorten the life.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My battery was at 11.6 this morning on my first start up in 14 hours. It took longer to turn over again and when it did the voltage went to 12.4 and held there until I got out of the parking lot. Then it started the charging as usual. Unless a wire is loose (which I don't think is the case), I suspect this is a battery issue and not glow plug related, etc., as the car fired right up in January through October. What I find interesting, is it's only the morning start that seems to give the battery trouble. 9.5 starts out of 10 after the first one, the car starts like a gem. If I need a new battery I guess now is the time. Tons of black Friday deals going on. I just hate to "eat" $200 on a battery that lasted 11 months; as it's passing as "good" so I won't get any refund; or a new battery to replace this one under warranty.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'd suggest pulling the battery and having it load tested prior to buying a new one. I've had two times now where I had thought the battery was in bad shape due to age, only to pull it and have it test ok.

While I have the 1.4L, there is something going on with respect to the cruze charging system near or around 32F. Every year around this time when the temperature is above 32 during the days, and below 32F during the nights I seem like I have a battery that's not fully charged.

After studying the charging description on alldata they are measuring the amp draw of the battery, estimated battery temperature, and doing calculations for status of charge.

Consider a battery tender for a few days to top off the battery. Once the temperature stays below 32F the car seems to behave normally. I'm guessing it thinks the status of charge is much higher during the day when it's warmer, and therefore doesn't charge the battery. Night comes and now the system is over compensating.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I read somewhere that is how the charging systems works to save fuel. It charges when extra power is available and does not charge when power is not there (stopped at a light low RPM'S) There are documented issues with blue tooth that affect the battery. There are a number of other drains on the battery that you might not think of. They won't kill the battery but will place a drain on it: Glow plugs, heated seats, Electric heat, Fan running to cool down regen, heated fuel, heated DEF. I probably missed some other electric eating things on our cars.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
@plasticplant probably an obvious question, but have you gotten the negative battery cable done?

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
I have a 2012 diesel Cruze in Australia and although the battery is original it still works fine. However I once accidentally drained it down to 11.6 volts by leaving certain accessories plugged in for too long. At that voltage none of the instruments would even light up and the starter was completely dead. I had road service come out and jump start the car and he told me to drive for at least 40 minutes before switching off. There has been no problem since and I am careful to shut off accessories when parked. The car charges between 12.6 volts and 14.6 volts and will jump about 1 volt if the lights come on when gauge is showing 12.6.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
228 Posts
Oh you will soon learn the ways of this car.

I just took mine in for the recall and bulletin for the negative battery cable.
Dealer did the battery cable but they're telling me the battery fails tests also and won't hold a charge.
This is the 3rd battery I've had in the car. I need another. The 2nd battery dealer would not replace under warranty even though it was still on the battery warranty

I have lost all confidence in this car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts