Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Crankshaft pulley seal leak?

940 Views 25 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  12ecofamilycar
I was replacing my belt and water pump and noticed a lot of oil around the pulley below. This is from the crankshaft fully seal? How much of a rush should I be in to fix this.? It's not dripping on the driveway no noticeable low level and dipstick. I don't feel like taking everything apart again for a while and sucks I will have to buy new motor mount bolts again.

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,181 Posts
Thank you for confirming. I thought I read that somewhere. Don't wanna blow me new seal. This kit doesn't look to hard to do..is everyone in agreement that these kits are legit good way to go?

Yes

· Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I took my pcv hose off today to check for the nipple. I can still see it in there.. But not sure if it it's seated properly?? Can barely see it. Does it look ok to you guys or?? It's really greasy and oily in there..Is that normal? Do I need to do the v3 kit or am I good for now?

Also check the PVC under the valve cover no hissing or air coming out. So if I have nipple and valve cover check valves working properly maybe my hose check valve has failed. I think I need to take off other end connected to turbo and blow in it. I did order a new one anyway just trying to find my rough idle issue. Every once in awhile throws a code . P0171 and p1107

Can't get the pcv hose to snap back onto the intake manifold. I can't see how I could be doing it wrong. I'm thinking some old plastic inside the connection probably snapped off that makes it clamp. I saw an o ring loose in there pushed it back up. But now won't snap back on. My new hose is coming tomorrow but I didn't want to put it on and then take it off again to do the v3.4 kit and possibly break it again.

Attachments

· Premium Member
152 Posts
I took my pcv hose off today to check for the nipple. I can still see it in there.. But not sure if it it's seated properly?? Can barely see it. Does it look ok to you guys or?? It's really greasy and oily in there..Is that normal? Do I need to do the v3 kit or am I good for now?

Also check the PVC under the valve cover no hissing or air coming out. So if I have nipple and valve cover check valves working properly maybe my hose check valve has failed. I think I need to take off other end connected to turbo and blow in it. I did order a new one anyway just trying to find my rough idle issue. Every once in awhile throws a code . P0171 and p1107

Can't get the pcv hose to snap back onto the intake manifold. I can't see how I could be doing it wrong. I'm thinking some old plastic inside the connection probably snapped off that makes it clamp. I saw an o ring loose in there pushed it back up. But now won't snap back on. My new hose is coming tomorrow but I didn't want to put it on and then take it off again to do the v3.4 kit and possibly break it again.
imho if you have 75k miles or more on the engine/intake manifold, you should do the fix-kit as preventive maintenance.
Be sure to keep the old corrugated hose to reuse the 2 ends on the fix-kit install.
There is an o-ring and a black plastic washer in the intake end of the hose. You can order extra washers with the fix-kit if you lost the original.

· Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
I guess I discovered where my pcv issue was. The hose had a bad check valve on the turbo end. I could blow right in. The other side wouldn't snap back on either anyway. Got the new hose on. Still going to order the v3 kit ( kept the old hose to practice on) but I should be good as far as pcv issues go. Nipple there, new hose, and valve cover good. Lets see if my rough idle goes away.

I should get all my bolts and crankshaft seal delivered tonight!

Do you put oil on the crankshaft seal before you pop it in place? Did it pop in easy? My plan is to use a metal 4x4 metal plate and hammer it in flat

Do you think a 14 inch breaker bar is enough to torque down/break loose pulley bolt?

If not I need to make a 30 minute trip to harbor freight and I'll grab a 25 in.

· Premium Member
152 Posts
Do you put oil on the crankshaft seal before you pop it in place? Did it pop in easy? My plan is to use a metal 4x4 metal plate and hammer it in flat

Do you think a 14 inch breaker bar is enough to torque down/break loose pulley bolt?

If not I need to make a 30 minute trip to harbor freight and I'll grab a 25 in.
There will probably be a film of oil there anyway but it was such a tight precise fit that I doubt the oil made any difference in installing the seal into place. The seal has no give to it, just have to line it up perfectly and tap in, easier said than done. I used a wood block and hammer.
I'm not a real strong dude but I know how to use leverage, it took all my strength to loosen and reinstall the pulley bolt with an 18" breaker.
It's worth it to have more leverage on hand imho.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts