Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

crate engine or remanufactured

1839 Views 8 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Cruzing12
Does anyone have a recommendation for a new or remanufactured 1.8L "G" 8th letter.

I've got over 200k miles and oil in my Coolant reservoir but no coolant in the oil. I'm not sure if its, because of the oil cooler leaking a busted head gasket or cracked block. but this is my suspect the oil cooler.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2nd 2012 1.8l mt 147000km
552 Posts
He can leave the head on thou lol
Lol. Yeah I too thought it was the head, and just so thought since I'm in there I should do a pre emptive and change the oil cooler. Upon taking the head off I found no possible spot for anything to leak. But taking apart the old oil cooler the seals were baked to the block only imagine the internal seal.

· Registered
2013 Chevy Cruze 1.8l
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I like the responses, Just changing out the oil cooler will by me some time in changing out the engine. One other symptom that is puzzling to me, the oil is not a milkshake. Which makes me think that when my wife pulled over, because it was getting hot, and someone stopped to help her out by adding coolant, (I had in the Trunk) that maybe they added oil in the reservoir instead of coolant? It was just my knee Jerk reaction that the oil somehow got there mechanically.

· Premium Member
14 Diesel Cruze, ‘14 volt, ‘72 442
479 Posts
The cooler is all one piece. It has oil flowing through as well as coolant. Some times the seals dry out and leaks oil down the block and sometimes they leak internally. Pumping oil into the coolant system. Too do the cooler you have to drain the system. I would flush it twice when your done installing the cooler (barely holds 2 gallon) just to help flush it out. Side note, make sure you have a new oil filter and oil before you do it because the oil needs to be drained as well.

· Premium Member
14 Diesel Cruze, ‘14 volt, ‘72 442
479 Posts
Lol. Yeah I too thought it was the head, and just so thought since I'm in there I should do a pre emptive and change the oil cooler. Upon taking the head off I found no possible spot for anything to leak. But taking apart the old oil cooler the seals were baked to the block only imagine the internal seal.
Wait, you took the head off to replace the cooler? Ouch

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.