Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I don't own a Cruze and am only checking here periodically, can someone craft a questionnaire similar to the one I created at Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new - PriusChat Forums then have it made a sticky? Obviously, some of those questions don't apply to Cruzes.

I've found that on Priuschat, often, people (usually w/low post counts or are total newbies) who complain about mileage give insufficient info and haven't checked a # of things. Other times, they'll complain, give scant info, a bunch of people will respond w/guesses or waste time crafting a response (usually w/the same questions as in the past) and the OP will never return. :confused:

If nothing else, it could be as short as:
- trim level and transmission?
- trip length and % of city vs. highway?
- speeds?
- tire pressure?
- oil level?
- outside temps?
- are you running on the factory tires? If no, make, model and size of current ones?

(In practice, on Priuses, the biggest killer of mileage is short trips, esp. in the city. Cold weather hurts as does excessive speed. There are also some hybrid quirks/behaviors that won't apply to non-hybrids.)

I've seen other posts here where people "brag" about their FE, yet they've given insufficient info and I question whether they calculated properly or used the wrong size gallons (e.g. Canadian driver where they use litres might've converted his consumption into miles per Imperial (larger) gallons).

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
We generally just ignore any bitching about gas mileage since its usually user error - the complaints have subsided now that its summer and people have racked up more mileage on their car - the break in period for this transmission is at least 2-3k miles

·
Registered
207 Posts
i can say that fuel mileage was not the primary reason i purchased a cruze nor any other car that i have owned.
i never complain about the mileage that i get in my 1972 buick gs - 20 mpg imperial or 16 mpg us, on the highway, and that is on 91 octane fuel. i just enjoy the car.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
cwerdna -- there seems to be more performance mindset posters than economy mindset posters here; and, with less than 10% of the North American GM buyers selecting manual transmissions, that, unfortunately, shuffles the economy mindset subjects to the "...back of the bus..." for this website.

...you might find better luck taking this question to one of the 'other' websites, such as Fuelly or Ecomodder.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
If nothing else, it could be as short as:
- trim level and transmission?
- trip length and % of city vs. highway?
- speeds?
- tire pressure?
- oil level?
- outside temps?
- are you running on the factory tires? If no, make, model and size of current ones?
Oil level? :dazed052:
I think a little searching on this site would answer MOST of these questions.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
We generally just ignore any bitching about gas mileage since its usually user error - the complaints have subsided now that its summer and people have racked up more mileage on their car - the break in period for this transmission is at least 2-3k miles
The complaints will return when winter returns, esp. if it's a new buyer who buys during that time or right before. We see it on Priuschat.

Good to know about the break in period for the transmission. This is perhaps yet another relevant question: "how many miles are on your car?"

There's also the break in period of the tires (Tire Tech Information - Tire Rolling Resistance Part 3: Changes to Expect When Switching from Worn-Out to New Tires).
cwerdna -- there seems to be more performance mindset posters than economy mindset posters here; and, with less than 10% of the North American GM buyers selecting manual transmissions, that, unfortunately, shuffles the economy mindset subjects to the "...back of the bus..." for this website.

...you might find better luck taking this question to one of the 'other' websites, such as Fuelly or Ecomodder.
Sorry, I hadn't noticed. :confused: I've tended to only browse this area and not many others.

Oil level? :dazed052:
I think a little searching on this site would answer MOST of these questions.
We've had cases on Priuschat where overfilled oil would result in a noticeable drop in mileage. Another relevant question might be: "viscosity of oil in car?"

I think you're missing what I'm getting at. I'm proposing that whenever someone posts a fuel economy complaint that they either must answer the questionnaire as part of their complaint or there's a standard questionnaire that everyone can point and tell that guy to answer. If people are able to restrain themselves, nobody will bother expending any effort until the questions are answered.

Without it, people waste time asking about the roughly the same questions or a subset of them (e.g. "how fast are you driving?" "how long are your trips?") or someone says "well, I'm getting xx mpg on my ______" Sometimes (on Priuschat), some folks post mileage complaints, a lot of people do a lot of work to speculate, ask questions, etc. and that complainer never returns. :confused: It's just wasted effort. The back and forth tends to waste time too.

Useful responses once someone has answered the questionnaire could be:
- "Get back to us after you've checked ____ and ____" or
- "Wow, that's way low for your drive, something's wrong w/your car" or
- "That's about right. You won't be able to do much better given your conditions."

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sorry, I lost interest when you said "prius"......
Sorry you feel that way. That's my primary car. I don't own a Cruze.

I've seen the pattern that we went thru on Priuschat and am seeing it here. I personally wasted a lot of time trying to help people, some of which can't seem to help themselves.

A standard questionnaire would lead to a lot more productive "troubleshooting" of mileage complaints and a lot less wasted time on the part of many people. Some complaints are just based upon unreasonable expectations (e.g. Help, I can't get EPA city mileage... why? Oh, your drives are only 3 mins long in 20 F temps? Oh, and that idling you're doing for 5 minutes before going isn't helping.)

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
I think Shawn pretty much hit the nail on the head with this topic. Also, just because the Prius isn't exciting doesn't make it irrelevant to his point. =P

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
^^
Bump.

Is anyone going to create and own a questionnaire as I suggested? I noticed a few other fuel economy complaints but seriously, in order to properly diagnose if it's the car, the driver, or actually normal for those speeds, trip lengths and conditions, there needs to be a good set of baseline info from the person w/the complaint.

That would cut down on a lot of back and forth along w/time spent guessing.

To make a long story short, I'm outta here. Not sure if I'll delete my account but I doubt I'm coming back to post.

I will leave you all w/two useful pointers. Hopefully they will come in handy as the threads end up becoming buried:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-f...uth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates.html
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-f...eports-fuel-mileage-article-4.html#post166133 - specifically relates to where the "expected range for most drivers: ___ to ___ mpg" values on the Monroney (window) sticker come from.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts