Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new so sorry if this is repeated

I need help with a 2014 Chevy Cruze LS...my wife wants cruise control the factory cruise control that didn't come with her car. We have the radio controls on the other side of the wheel but the side where cruise should be is blank...dealership wants $450 to add it, I say no way it cost that much. I've read that all you really need is a new wheel and just plug and play...is that true? What all do I need? Is it a wheel with the cruise control built into it? Any harnesses or anything? Please help!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The good news is I believe this was done by just adding the switches, but you need to search on this forum using the search box on the right hand side for "Adding Cruze Control Switches to LS" you can even use google.com and if you try "adding Cruze Control Switch to LS Cruzetalk" I bet it gets you close.

I didn't realize that 2014's came without Cruise control. The threads I'm thinking about go back to 2011, 2012 models when they just came out. Not sure if the wiring in the steering column changed in 4 years or not.

GM did save every penny in cost and in weight by removing a lot more wires, and having a ton of wiring harness part numbers. Meaning it may work or it may not.

I believe the replacement switches for the steering wheel can be purchased from Rockauto relatively cheaply. If you find that thread, and try it, give us your thoughts if it works.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The steering wheel kit also includes a clock spring for the airbag. $450 is right about what this install costs when you add the price of the kit and the labor.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
obermd-

I was thinking maybe he needed a clock spring with wiring for the factory switch. I remember several members doing this during 2011/2012. One even did a non GM set up with a stalk switch mounted in the steering column.

I think a good aftermarket shop could do it with an aftermarket kit, with the controls on a stick for under $450.

Depends on how much the original poster wants to work on this. There's also threads on removal of the steering wheel on the forum.

I was researching adding a heated steering wheel to the cruze several months ago. There's videos on "the tube" that show GM trucks where the person pulls the wheel and removes a clock spring. While it's not a Cruze, it doesn't look that bad. New clock springs are $100-$125 though.

I wanted the heated wheel out of the Verano. The problem is the switches in the Buick are part of the HVAC assembly, rather than on the wheel. When I found this out, I gave up. Too much wiring involved..

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Originally GM didn't require a new clock spring when doing this, but after talking to the service guys at my dealership I think the clock spring replacement is a good idea. GM was having too many steering wheel replacements later require new clock springs. Apparently this spring, once installed, doesn't like to be taken out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it better to pay the dealership then? I wanted to save some money but it's too much and not enough concrete evidence of what works or don't works

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Long history on cruise controls, only way to install them in 50's 60's vehicles was aftermarket, ran around 40 bucks. 1970 Buick was the first car with factory cruise, wasn't even as good an aftermarket unit, 100% vacuum and mechanical and always 3-4 mph off when setting it by the speedometer. Needed a vacuum release switch on the brake pedal.

Really a dirty filthy marketing trick, no for a fact its costing GM even more money to leave the cruise control off the LS, had to tool up a different steering wheel with even more inventory to count. Had to be done by way overpaid certified CPA's that knew how to count without using their fingers.

Today with throttle by wire, already have the mechanics, LS has a Vss for vehicle speed, all this stuff is already in your Cruze LS, just need the switches to operate it. Like obermd stated, that clock spring can be a killer. Use to use slip rings for this, but not as reliable using a solid conductor and can rotate with the steering wheel, thus the purpose for having a clockspring.

Wasn't bad for my daughter's base model Kia Soul, to get cruise, had to buy a bunch of extra crap in the next highest model to get it for 3,000 bucks more. Just saying GM are not the only dirty rotten jerks. Just required a 15 buck switch, already had the clock spring in it. New harness was 40 bucks more with only an extra wire on it. To keep her happy because she was concerned about voiding her warranty, paid the extra 40 bucks.

Certainly a ton of information on this subject in the tutorial section, many guys did this already. We kind of walked past the LS with those furniture like coaster wheels, not good for our winter months, no cruise really helped rejecting it. Wasn't that much for an LT and sure like that 1.4 L turbo for far better fuel economy. Over the last four years, price of gas was as high as $4.55 per gallon. Another consideration.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Oh, can't forget the price of speeding tickets with all these left over 9/11 cops running around, not me, but my daughter, 200 bucks for going 4 mph over the posted speed limit. If this wasn't bad, should have seen the drastic increase in her car insurance. Like 845 bucks every six months. Just for getting that ticket.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I got a guy who will sell me the wheel with the switches for $45 is that all I need? It's a plug and play deal?
Make sure it's the entire kit. Also, as far as I know the 2014's don't need a BCM reprogram. The 2012s and some 2013s did. Also, I put the factory Cruze in my son's LS for the very same reasons Nick pointed out about speeding tickets.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Really can't go to far wrong with 45 bucks, kind of finger crossing deal. Took me longer with my daughter's Soul, what a name.

Was cold outside so brought the steering wheel in and placed it on a clean towel, took a photo for the precise wire layout, and let it warm up first before changing parts. But it worked properly, green light showed up on the dash, could advance or slow her car down with the switches, and both the switch, clutch, and brake pedal disengaged it.

Really don't know until you try. Put the old parts in a plastic bag for her. Wonder if their is a market for practically brand new steering wheels without the cruise control switches. Sure had a bunch of parts leftover when I installed fogs in my Cruze.

Ever have the urge to torture and kill marketing guys?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't really understand what the entire kit is...what all does that include? I was told steering wheel with no air bag, and has the cruise and radio switches...what else do I need?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Clock spring, but you may be able to do the steering wheel swap without this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Help me out a lil bit...what exactly is the clock spring for the air bag? If I'm keeping the factory airbag but just replacing my wheel I'll be ok right?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The clock spring is what all the wires in the steering column go through so that they can turn when the driver turns the steering wheel.

Wires aren't just loose in a steering column, without a clock spring they would wind tight as the driver turned right, and then unwind as the driver turns back straight.

All these turns would cause wires to fray and break. Hense the clock spring with wire connections that are part of it. Most of the wires that are connected to points on the steering wheel, have to turn when the user turns the wheel. These wires would go through this clock spring.

Now if the connections are present in the form of a terminal connection at the existing clock spring then it may not be needed to remove. However, history has shown that GM uses different clock springs for different cars, depending on the number of wires that need to go through it.

Air bags have connections that turn with the wheel.
The audio switches have connections that turn with the wheel
The cruise control has switches that turn with the wheel.

In this case everything is wired into that clock spring.

An aftermarket kit that has the wiring and switches somewhere else, like the old cars with cruise on the stick, should be easier. The wire's don't have to run in a special "clock spring" connector that's made to turn.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts