Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
The speed rating of the OE tires will more than likely be what you're set at. The CDI is 124mph and it comes up quick from a rolling 75-80.

·
Super Moderator
4,947 Posts
I know I have had my 2012 Eco 100+ getting on the highway for the heck of it. Started out I see that I may have to merge with but decide WTH. beat them. Never really thought to see if I could get top speed. As soon as I get up that high I back out. Still a "kid at heart" to one degree or another.

·
Administrator
25,040 Posts
GM changed the tires on the ECOs from H to V when Road & Track Magazine reported getting a 2011 ECO MT to 137 MPH on their test track.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know I have had my 2012 Eco 100+ getting on the highway for the heck of it. Started out I see that I may have to merge with but decide WTH. beat them. Never really thought to see if I could get top speed. As soon as I get up that high I back out. Still a "kid at heart" to one degree or another.
The last car I top-speed tested was my 1995 Impreza 1.8L (123mph- drag limited) on the Toll road.
I've had my Cruze up to 108 mph passing right-lane traffic on I-45 south, but the thought of something going wrong makes me back it down quickly.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
According to the analog speedometer they put on this thing, around 140 mph. Same limit as on my 88 Supra Turbo, Car and Driver tested one like mine at 167 mph, said it should go faster than this but is limited by a governor.

Typically on these small displacement high winding engines get more speed in a lower gear. According to Car and Driver, kind of trust these guys, with the 1.4L is 125 mph. Certainly fast enough for me to lose my driver's license for a year, and have my insurance cost skyrocket. Will take their word for it.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
a couple things...

1.) Never broke 100 so I have no input =]
2.) You're going 117 and took a pic? I'm not one of those safety guys or gonna complain, but props to you for doing that, I'd be scared ****less to take my eyes off the road.
3.) @117MPH your @4k RPM? like I said, never broke 100, but that seems really good...is that a CTD?

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Ha, of course you did this on a track, right? LOL. Or is this Kmph or mph? Again, LOL.
VIR a friend of mine is an instructor 3 laps learning the track 2 hot laps with instructor and 5 hot laps solo. My brakes were worthless on the last two laps so it was more about getting good cornering speeds rather than top speeds so I gave it 5 attempts at top speed and the others were focused specifically on learning the cruzes behaviour under extreme cornering.

·
Registered
110 Posts
117 took a pic and no seatbelt?
fastest i have been is like 80 lol never have speed tested it ... back in the day i had a 01 Eclipse the first week i had it, i speed tested it at 147 before i chickened out and let off the gas ... one does not simply press the breaks going that fast ..

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had mine out on a few back roads i was running 200km plus but when u dive them hard your brakes basically goes to mush and heat up until they smoke. Brakes were the weakest part on the car. the car itself handled pretty good just brakes go to mush really really quick my old cruze only had back drum brakes but had the z-link.

·
Administrator
25,040 Posts
Lets keep this away from street racing.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
When I had my ECO, I was at around 110 getting out of the way of an overtaking Audi, I think an A4. When I was on the track 3 years ago at Watkins Glen, I recall seeing 85 or 90 mph.
My brakes were worthless on the last two laps so it was more about getting good cornering
- Yes a couple of laps around the track do a number on stock brakes.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, back a couple of years ago when I was kid, most important thing to me was to see how fast a car would go. Would take it out on paved road way in the backwoods at night. Knew where the cops were, and just long enough to see how fast it will go. But I outgrew this a long time ago.

Can tell you a 41 Buick will easily exceed 110 mph, today this car would be 74 years old, so not much improvement since then. Top speed of a Model A Ford was 80 mph, a six 30 Olds was good for 97 mph.

Cruze is a very quiet car and very easy to creep up to 80 mph without even knowing it, so definitely need cruise or is the cruze control. See cops pulling over speeders all the time.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
113/114 according to our speedo however accurate that is ... is the fastest I could get mine out of about 5 tries
Thats weird. 117 and was still going. Was surprised how smooth it drove at those speeds. I just backed out in fear of ticket lol..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.