Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a Holden Cruze 1.4T 6sp manual.

Basiclly a few questions to ask. When my car is in gear and i accelerate and then left off the throttle my gear stick moves slightly enough to see and feel.

On a cold start when the engine rev's higher there is a slight rattle/vibration sound this happens for about 15-20seconds or until the engine drops down to normal idling speed. The rattling sound goes away when the clutch is pressed in and comes back as soon as the clutch is released can do that multiple times until the engine drops down the normal idle speed.

Also when the car is warm and stopped still with the car in neutral pushing on the clutch and releasing the clutch makes the revs go up and down by about 200rpm.

I will be taking the car into the dealership soon just wanting some advice first. The Cruze 1.4Turbo are very new in Australia. My Cruze only has 2,600km and has had these issues since new as far as i can recall.

Are all these things normal behavior for the cruze 1.4T 6sp manual?

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
178 Posts
there are parts of the tune that dictate how fast or slow the throttle is opened or closed when you let off the gas and it varies when you have the clutch in or out, etc.

if you have access to the tables, you can make your RPMs drop very fast, hang for a while, etc. the factory sets it up to hang so you can shift more smoothly and it doesn't fall too fast to catch idle and stall.

your RPMs move because the ECU sees the clutch in or out and adjusts the throttle blade accordingly, it is not mechanical.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I asked the same question several months ago. The authoritative answer came from a guy who took his car apart to update the clutch. It does indeed have a dual mass flywheel, according to his report. His car was a 1.4T. I don't know about the 1.8 but I can say my 1.8 has a rattle from the transmission area on a hot start that gets worse the hotter the engine becomes. After a drive of many hours in 100F heat, a hot restart produces a knocking rattle that I attribute to a dual mass flywheel.

I don't know about the Cruze specifically but I think it's typical for dual mass flywheels to be packed inside with a heavy grease to reduces noises. My theory is the grease gets thinner in sustained high temps and then the car can produce sounds you don't hear in milder conditions. I had a Dodge diesel pickup with a dual mass flywheel and it would make a squeak noise at shutdown.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Mine does move just a bit and mine also jumps a dew hundred rpm when I press the clutch. I always thought it was to make take off smoother as the throttle was higher.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
First thing you need to do is get that steering wheel and dash fixed so your wheel is on the left like over here. Lol! Sorry.

Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
that all sounds pretty normal my cruze does that and all the other manuals I've owned have done that.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
except I dont notice a rattling sound I dont believe....

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
76 Posts
i understand that, my question was is the rpm fluctuating when the clutch is pressed in and let out normal? Does your Eco do this?
Yes mine does maybe 100rpm. I attribute it to the slight mechanical loading and unloading that take places when the clutch is engaged or disengaged. Even in neutral it has to start spinning the clutch and various mechanials in the trans. I don't have any rattle though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Remember a few things here:

1. The powertrain is mounted SIDEWAYS.
2. The engine twists on its mounts when you change its load.

Simple physics dictate that the twisting engine pulls on the shifter cables, moving the shifter.

As for noises, mine sometimes has a rattle noise on cold start or after sitting awhile, but so does every other Cruze I've heard. I always figured it was some combination of lifters pressurizing, turbo spinning up (yes the turbo does spin at idle!), accessories...never thought of the flywheel. Wouldn't worry either way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.