Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My car is 70k kilometers driven 2010 Cruze 1.8 LT with automatic transmission. The combined fuel consumption should be around 7,8 l/100km, but I'm getting 10-14 l/100km depending how and where I'm driving.

The dealership found nothing and they say that the consumption is quite normal. I think it's a way too high, especially I'm trying to save fuel when driving.

Things what I've checked so far:
- Brakes are working correctly
- Air filter is new and clean
- Intake air temperature sensor has been cleaned (near the air filter housing)
- Tire pressures are ok
- Emissions are ok
- No fault codes

So what would be the next thing to check? O2-sensor? Intake air leak? Where is MAF/MAP located in 1.8 Cruze?

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
You're getting half of what you should be and your dealer says this is normal. For those of us in the US, 12 l/100 km is 21 MPG. 7.5 L/100 KM is 33 MPG. I think the advertised fuel consumption is optimistic as 33 MPG is what the significantly more efficient 1.4T engine in North American ECO MT is rated. 9-10 L/100 KM is realistic based on what I know about the engines in the Cruze, but if you're predominately a city driver you'll burn more fuel (11-12 L/100 KM). The Cruze is heavy so it takes a lot of gas to get going. Also, you didn't say if this was lifetime or just a recent drop in fuel efficiency. If it's the latter, be aware the Cruze looses anywhere from 2 to 10% of it's fuel efficiency in the winter. For more information on the winter fuel economy tips, take a look at http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-fuel-economy/10510-winter-impact-fuel-economy-mitigation.html.

Welcome to Cruzetalk.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Obermd said it well.

I have a couple of questions/observations. First of all, if its really cold outside (well below 0 deg C) and you're doing short trips plus driving with a fairly heavy foot or through mountainous terrain, I'd think you'd see fuel consumption in the 10-14 liters/100km range especially with winter-blend gasoline. Do any or all of those factors apply to your situation?

Also, what kind of fuel consumption do you see in warm weather while driving for economy (i.e. steady 100 km/hr, no wind, no A/C, windows up, etc)? It this is in the 8 liters/100 km area, I think the car seems to be okay.

My car (1.4T, 6-spd man) gets about 6-7 liters/100 km is summer and up to about 8 liters/100 km in winter here in Michigan ... a noticeable difference for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply.

Outside temperatures here in winter has been usually between -15 and +5 deg C, and I know that it affects to fuel consumption. Terrain is flat and I'm not driving with heavy foot. While driving in warm weather the fuel consumption does not drop significantly. I live in cold climate country so I know how the weather affects to fuel consumption. So the cold weather does not alone explain the high fuel consumption. In addition in here its normal that people pre-warms their cars engines before driving in winter.

But maybe you are right, the car just consumes a lot of fuel. Compared to my previous cars, Cruze consumes much more fuel than the manufacturer says. So that's why I'm disappointed and I tought there might be some sort of typical problems in Cruze which affects to fuel consumption.

Have a nice day :)

·
2,168 Posts
Thank you for your reply.

Outside temperatures here in winter has been usually between -15 and +5 deg C, and I know that it affects to fuel consumption. Terrain is flat and I'm not driving with heavy foot. While driving in warm weather the fuel consumption does not drop significantly. I live in cold climate country so I know how the weather affects to fuel consumption. So the cold weather does not alone explain the high fuel consumption. In addition in here its normal that people pre-warms their cars engines before driving in winter.

But maybe you are right, the car just consumes a lot of fuel. Compared to my previous cars, Cruze consumes much more fuel than the manufacturer says. So that's why I'm disappointed and I tought there might be some sort of typical problems in Cruze which affects to fuel consumption.

Have a nice day :)
Check your spark plug gapping. Also pre-warming the car will really only waste gas. After about 3 minutes in the winter, it reaches 120F (49C) and doesn't change much more than that. The tiny engine doesn't generate much heat without a load on the engine, unless you have ice to scrape off, just drive it right away don't waste the fuel trying to warm it up. It'll take hours to get up to the 226F (108C) operating temp. When the car is running but not moving you're getting 0 MPG. That will definitely cause a massive drop in economy. I've been averaging 27-31 MPG (8.7L/100km - 7.6L/100km) in the winter with moderate stop and go mixed with 40-60 mph (64 kmh - 96kmh) back roads. In the summer I get between 34-39 MPG (6.9/100km - 6.0L/100km). Also note the combined fuel rating. Never assume you'll AVERAGE the MAX highway number. You simply won't unless you fill up your already warm car, and hop on the highway doing 55 mph (88 kmh) for the entire tank of fuel. For instance my car says it will get 30 MPG (7.8L/100km) Combined which is a much more realistic estimation. And I've averaged 7.0L/100km over 20,000 miles (32,186 km) So I'm doing better than the rated fuel number for my car. (1.4L turbo) The NA 1.8L of course won't be quite as efficient. I do think 12l/100km is sort of inefficient but not unrealistic. But you shouldn't be averaging that on every tank of fuel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
[FONT=Arial, Geneva CY, sans-serif]When I first signed onto the lease of my car, the full On star package was included, which had the option to view stats of my car. One stat in particular I liked having was the 'lifetime MPG', as that seemed to be wholly independent from the trip odometers and such. My On star subscription has since lapsed out, and I was downgraded to the standard Basic package.[/FONT]

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
In the USA, the 1.8L automatic has the lowest fuel economy for all cruze models. Your car here would be rated at 21mpg city, 35mpg highway or 27mpg combined average. Real world if your having lots of cold starts(engine not warmed up) and driving mostly city speeds one could expect to see around 12L/100mk(21mpg) with the cruze 1.8L automatic.

Does your car display average speed on the drivers information center? This can help you see if your speed puts you in a more city or highway driving route.

Also you say your driving for economy but remember just because your using a light foot doesn't mean its the most efficient way to drive. With a light foot it could take 20 seconds to reach 48kph, when if you used more brisk acceleration(not floored, just more than a light foot) you reach that speed in less than half the time. This gets you into a more efficient speed range quicker which will save fuel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts