Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Cruze 1LT center dash grill- what's it for?

12359 Views 24 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  ALBERTA
Just leased my 3rd Cruze. First LS had a center dash compartment. Second LS had a center dash tray. The new 2015 1LT has a grill in the center, but I don't hear any speaker sounds coming out of it. Does this make sense? Thanks.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
7,545 Posts
Maybe they changed it for the 2015 year, but that would be a compartment unless you had the upgraded (9 speaker?) sound system. Maybe someone in the factory stuck the wrong part there.

Edit: you might check for speakers in the rear deck.

10,589 Posts
The 15's deleted the glovebox and tray for some odd reason. Maybe people complained that it was hot as **** in there. That thing gets pretty hot if you run heat for quite a bit. Open it at end of your drive and place your hand inside.

· Banned
631 Posts
The 15's deleted the glovebox and tray for some odd reason. Maybe people complained that it was hot as **** in there. That thing gets pretty hot if you run heat for quite a bit. Open it at end of your drive and place your hand inside.
See, GM provided a feature you got for free and didn't know you had. A Sandwich Warmer.

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Just another example of 'Decontenting'.......grill is cheaper than a lid and box.

Rob
Since it's a grill, maybe it's an enhancement to aid with windshield defrosting?

Reactions: Merc6

· Resident Forum Drunkard
8,257 Posts
First the Glovebox light , Now the little covered bin to put me receipts in ..what's next no steering wheel . Just a knob to spin around !

10,589 Posts
First the Glovebox light , Now the little covered bin to put me receipts in ..what's next no steering wheel . Just a knob to spin around !
The leather wheel is gone untill you get 2LT, LTZ or Diesel. Now it's the LS textured plastic wheel. Floor mats got omitted for the Eco manual.

· Registered
53 Posts
Asking GM can we get a compartment with a lid and pad to replace the simple screen? If so what is the part number(s)? Would like to have this for my step-daughter's '15 1LT. Will a compartment box and door from previous models fit and bolt in? Again part numbers, please.

I have done this on an '08 Aveo that did not have the dash storage unit. Nor was there one available for US consumption. Found a number and ordered it in for a I believe korean model Aveo which bolted right in and made a nice little compartment for registration, insurance papers etc.

· Premium Member
1,202 Posts
The leather wheel is gone untill you get 2LT, LTZ or Diesel. Now it's the LS textured plastic wheel. Floor mats got omitted for the Eco manual.
That's too bad about the leather wheel. I really like the leather. I couldn't care less about the center dash sandwich warmer though.

This seems to be back to the old GM. In the past, the first year of a new model had a lot of nice features, and then all following years had fewer and fewer features, until eventually nobody wanted that stripped down car anymore, and then GM retired that model and introduced a new model.

· Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,189 Posts
Seems Like Old Times

That's too bad about the leather wheel. I really like the leather.
Penny-wise and pound-foolish move by GM. Saved a few bucks for GM, but dropped the car's perceived value by thousands.

I couldn't care less about the center dash sandwich warmer though.
I've owned both a 2012 LS and 2014 RS and found the open tray of the LS to be the most useful. A guy could toss a pair of sunglasses or mount a Garmin GPS there. The covered tray with flip-open door of the RS has been of no use to me whatsoever because it neither accommodates my Foster Grants nor my GPS. Questionably useful now as a repository for old ticket stubs and a handful of losing Powerball tickets.

While I'm at it, the center dash top grille of the '15 Cruze appears to be pointless except for catching dust. If its' appearance this model year has something to do with the car's enhanced connectivity then they wasted both their money and ours. I thought the Cruze was designed to be a high value economy car that serendipitously looked handsome, not an expensive rolling Wi-Fi hotspot.

This seems to be back to the old GM. In the past, the first year of a new model had a lot of nice features, and then all following years had fewer and fewer features, until eventually nobody wanted that stripped down car anymore, and then GM retired that model and introduced a new model.
Some say the old GM never went away and that the new GM is nothing more than repackaged leftovers. Certainly nothing's changed at the dealership level. Watching what bean counters, lawyers and marketing people have done to the Cruze in North America from 2011 through 2015 doesn't leave me hopeful and I seriously doubt there'll be another GM product in my future.

The dream was nice while it lasted.

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Are you talking about that grille like on top of the dashboard above the radio?

Are you trying to use logic for whatever this thing is for? Could drive you insane like those marketing guys that insisted it be put up there.

· Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,189 Posts
Hi OldBrazy .. I miss my dash tray.
Ditto here, the LS dash tray.

Are you talking about that grille like on top of the dashboard above the radio?
Yes Nick, that's the UIO (Unidentified Interior Object). I've read nowt about it online and when I asked a salesman at the local dealership, he said: "Don't know, but don't care much either. In fact I never really noticed it before. Anyway, it's winter out there and I'm concentrating on selling Silverado 4x4s and that new Trax on the showroom floor. Now, which one would you like?"

Like I said earlier, at least at my local dealership, the new GM is the old GM.

· Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Floor mats got omitted for the Eco manual.
That will probably up the MPGs by .01 MPGs, due to weight savings. No leather wheel in the ECO, that is not right either. Let's hope the 2016 model get some of this decontenting fixed. These are some of things that made the ECO a premium small car, that I really liked when I owned it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.