Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I have a 2011 Cruze LS saloon 1.6 manual with 39000 on the clock. I have had the car for a year now with no issues but in the last 2 months I have been experiencing an intermittent electrical issue.

What happens is: randomly the dash lights will flicker, the radio will turn on and off and I will experience a loss of power when accelerating. Sometimes the stall lights will come on but the engine hasn't actually stopped yet. This can be pretty scary when you are driving fast on the motorway with children in the car.

I have checked the fuses inside the car and they all seem OK. Some people on the forum mention that this could be due to a faulty negative battery cable. I have attached some photos to see if anyone recognises if I have the faulty cable?

I have booked the car to the dealership in 10 days time however they charge £100($150)/hour just to look at the car so I would like to avoid that is possible!

Thanks in advance for your help guys!
Auto part Vehicle Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Family car

Font Label

Material property Technology Automotive wheel system Auto part Vehicle

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I pressed the fuses to check they were seated properly. When I turned the ignition on after this there was a horizontal line where the mileage usually is. This lasted for a couple of seconds. Not sure if this means anything?

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Have you replaced the battery yet? You may be near the end of life for the original battery.

· Premium Member
7,545 Posts
Could an old battery really cause an engine to stop for a second?I thought it only used battery to start the engine and once it was running then it didn't need battery?
I'm not sure. I do know that while the alternator provides the power, the battery is still filtering the power. If it should suddenly open up, the power could get weird. Weird power results in weird computers. An just about everything in the Cruze is controlled by a computer.

I will say that what you're experiencing isn't the usual way batteries die, but I wouldn't say it can't happen.

· Premium Member
7,545 Posts
This is hard to diagnose. But based on Nick D's experience, you might try changing the ignition relay. It cheap and easy. About $10.

The alternative is to go to the dealer and show them that video.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
14311 is the negative battery cable replacement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.