Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

I'm new here and it looked like the best place to come and seek help regarding an issue I recently had with my Cruze. I bought the Cruze at 35k, but within the month that I had it, I went through two gallons of dexcool and the vehicle heated up on me a total of three times! Angry as any first time Chevy buyer would probably be, I took it back to the dealer and had them take a look at it. According to them, it was the thermostat. I don't know why, but I felt as if these guys weren't sure what the problem was. So after leaving the car there overnight, going and picking it up, I drove it for about two weeks and it hasn't heat up on me BUT, it still smelled like coolant when I rolled down my window. So today, noticing that my coolant was low once again, I went and poured coolant in the coolant reservoir. To my surprise, there was a small crack on the side of the reservoir! Something small but costing me a few bucks buying the gallons of dexcool, gas to go the dealer, and now having to buy a new reservoir.

My question is, in general, has anyone had any issues with your Cruze in this area?

Thanks in advance,
_firsttimeChevyowner_

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I believe BlueAngel reported less than optimal quality when molding his coolant tank. This system operates at 20 psi pressure. Any air pockets in the cooling system that cause the coolant to boil, raise the pressure even further stressing the plastic components. There's a GM ACDelco tank, and then there's a DORMAN aftermarket tank both sold on our forum sponsor Rockauto.com.

I believe the DORMAN one comes with a new cap. Does dorman know something about the failure rate of coolant tanks to make this part? I don't know. Maybe they redesigned it with reinforcement.

Good luck.. That seems like a lot of coolant. Check were the upper radiator hose attaches to the water outlet on the drivers side of the engine block, and the water pump for leaks.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Thermostat valve is kept closed by a very strong spring, heated wax in a closed chamber expanding is what opens it, if that wax leaks out, it will stay closed.

Is such a thing as a failsafe thermostat, valve has a weak spot in it that will break open permanently if the boiling water increases to the point to open it. And will have a cool running engine instead of an overheating one that can warp your head and cause a ton of really expensive damage. Apparently the Cruze is not using one like this. It does have an electric heater to fool it to opening at a lower coolant temperature when you hit the gas, but worthless if that wax leaks out.

Disappearance of the radiator cap, and 220*F operation for higher efficiency sure puts a stain on that plastic recovery tank, normally sees 25 psi of pressure. If your engine is overheating, those pressures will increase plus the temperature of that plastic. Can call this a chain reaction of events leading to your recovery tank failure. And should be perfectly obvious that it is leaking. And should have been replaced at the same time.

Guess these young kids never heard about a pressure test, shows instantly on a pressure gauge if it declines rapidly. You have a leak.

2.2 L Ecotech engine drove the water pump by the timing chain, if one bearing seizes in that single drive belt system, first thing you lose is your water pump. Not a good idea either.

No such thing as preventative maintenance, like to replace my thermostat at least every 50K miles, but check all the bearings in that single belt drive train. Alternator slip ring brushes also wear out and should be replaced.

35K miles sounds awfully premature, but GM outsources parts from many different vendors. Some thermostats have an aluminum housing, others are plastic, not even made to specs.

Ha, buying a vehicle today is like buying a lottery ticket.

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
I have a Cruze in Australia and there is a recall on some models for a faulty surge tank. I never had any problems with mine, but it was replaced under warranty. They told me they were breaking the pipe where the hose goes into the top of the tank. As parts may come from common supplier it may be worth asking if there is a recall on this in the US.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
No recall on the coolant tank, but I can see them getting cracked if hit. That tank should be under your b2b warranty assuming you aren't over 36K miles. If you're over 36K I'd still take it back to the dealership that worked on it for the previous low coolant level - I've had dealerships fix things out of warranty because they were embarrassed that they missed an upcoming issue.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
A 26 buck part, wonder if the cap comes with it.

Have over 500 different grades of aluminum, have no idea as to the number of different grades of plastic. Do know the food grade plastic is far superior as is the kind they use on blister packs. Can twist it, jump on it, kick, then pop it out back to its original shape.

But not with automotive, just lightly bump it and it breaks apart. Same with aluminum in a throwaway pop can, far superior to the aluminum used in automotive, it doesn't corrode like aluminum in vehicles do. One difference, food packaging is indubitably throwaway, automotive is an arm and a leg.

SAE brought up this subject around 25 years ago, we should be looking into the food industry for far superior plastics and aluminum. This was sure ignored by the automotive industry. Ha, just trade it in for a new one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts