Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Administrator
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had this discussion with bartonmd on the FB group earlier today and he provided a few options for battery replacement upgrades over what we have from GM. As you guys may know, the 1.8/1.4T battery tray is adjustable and has plenty of room left for a bigger battery.

Here are the specs for the OEM H5/47 group size, from an AutoCraft Gold battery:

H5/47:
520 Cold cranking amps
7.5" Height
9.57" Length
6.938" Width
Weight: 45 lbs
Price: $161.99

The following two group sizes fit in our battery trays. Here are the specs I found for the Advance Auto AutoCraft Platinum AGM battery. I strongly recommend any AGM battery. I've posted the differences over the OEM battery (assuming the AutoCraft Gold is equivalent or similar) in bolded green. The CCA specs and prices will vary slightly but not by a whole lot.

H6/48:
760 Cold cranking amps (+240 CCA = +46%)
7.5" Height
11" Length
6.938" Width
Weight: 45.66lbs (+0.66lbs = +1.5%)
Price: $174.99 (+$13 = +8%)

H7/94R:
850 CCA (+330 CCA = +63%)
7.5" Height
12.44" Length
6.938" Width
Weight: 51.83lbs (+6.83lbs = +15%)
Price: $187.99 (+$26 = +16%)

Here is what the OEM H5 battery looks like in the battery tray:

Here is what the H6/48 battery looks like in the battery tray:

Here's a picture of the H7/94R battery in the Cruze:

Remember, if you have an Advance Auto Parts store near by, there is almost always a 30% coupon available that will knock $50 off the price of a battery. Order online to pick up in store.

·
Administrator
25,594 Posts
What impact will a larger battery have on our variable output alternators?

·
Administrator
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What impact will a larger battery have on our variable output alternators?
None. The system will still charge based on the voltage of the battery.

bartonmd did note however that his car started faster with the H6 AGM battery than it ever did with the OEM battery.

·
Administrator
25,594 Posts
Thanks - my battery is starting to show early signs of wearing out. My voltage sits at 14.7-15+ for longer and longer even with the same external temperatures.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,284 Posts
I Just looked into a purchase from Advance Auto Parts and at present there is a 15 % discount online and a $50.00 coupon being offered .

I have almost 4 years on this OEM Batterry at present Maybe I can push it until 5 years .

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Thanks - my battery is starting to show early signs of wearing out. My voltage sits at 14.7-15+ for longer and longer even with the same external temperatures.
Mine was exhibiting this behaviour last fall, but since I kept and have still been using the delco battery in a different application, I'm not sure it was the battery. I did however find the ground by the headlight loose when I swapped the battery, might be worth a check.

Happy I replaced it though, would not have wanted to mess around with the possibility of a bad battery with winter coming! I agree with Xtreme, AGM battery is the way to go. I bought a Sears Diehard Advanced gold AGM(group 47) which claims 600CCA. Believe the group 48 Sears AGM is 700CCA, If I had known this was an option when I bought mine I would have.

·
Administrator
25,594 Posts
I've had real good experiences with the Sears Diehard batteries. Just have to tell the salesperson I want the biggest battery that will fit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Diehard and AutoZone's DuraLast batteries are manufactured by the same company. IIRC there are only like 3 manufacturers that produce the majority of the NA batteries available for sale, just diff labels slapped on them.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I Just looked into a purchase from Advance Auto Parts and at present there is a 15 % discount online and a $50.00 coupon being offered .

I have almost 4 years on this OEM Batterry at present Maybe I can push it until 5 years .
Can't stack them Brian. Looks like I'll wait for a rebate offering plus the $50 off. I got my wifes battery that way last year and it was only like $85 AR.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Diehard and AutoZone's DuraLast batteries are manufactured by the same company. IIRC there are only like 3 manufacturers that produce the majority of the NA batteries available for sale, just diff labels slapped on them.

This is true, however some manufactures pay for the ones that test better. When I was around 20 years old I worked at a factory making shop vacs for sears and home depot, the sears branded ones the electric motor had to test above a certain level, all of those below that were put on the Ridgid branded ones.

I could have bought a duracell battery at Sams Club that was identical to the sears battery for much less money, but knowing the above I chose to spend the money on the name brand. Both even have the same warranty.

Duracell AGM Automotive Battery - Group Size 47 (H5) - Sam's Club

Sears.com

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,065 Posts
H7/94R:
850 CCA (+330 CCA = +63%)
7.5" Height
12.44" Length
6.938" Width
Weight: 51.83lbs (+6.83lbs = +15%)
Price: $187.99 (+$26 = +16%)

As you can see, there is plenty more room for the larger H7/94R battery in the Cruze. If anyone has a picture of an H7/94R in our battery tray, I'll upload it to this thread.
I believe that is the H7/94R that I posted. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Here's a photo of the Diesel OEM battery, which I think is the H7/94R as mentioned above:

1023141305a.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Thats the one!

And if you have a good eye, you can see the smaller number set beginning with 94R.

Fits like a glove.....

Rob

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I want to get a new battery either today or tomorrow. My choices are Diehard Advanced Gold or a Duralast Platinum in a 94r and both are the same price. I guess my quesitons is, one better than the other? Autozone is a mile away but Sears is about 20 and I don't care to drive. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Bit of a update....looked at Diesel Cruze 94R yesterday.......Delco CCA rating 730amps.

Also, this is a 'AGM' design.....uh.....uh.....brain fade.....darnit!

Can't remember what the bloomin 'A' stands for......anyways, the rest is for Glass Mat.......one of you geniuses will have to pipe in....old age sucks at times....this is one of those times.
Big time energy release capability.......must really give that high compression diesel quite a boot the moment the starter engages.

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
This may be a dumb question, considering it's obviously a larger battery. So, the larger battery will give you more cold cranking amps, but does that also mean that you get more amp hours. For example, can I listen to the radio longer with the engine off without worrying about killing the battery as quickly?

·
Administrator
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This may be a dumb question, considering it's obviously a larger battery. So, the larger battery will give you more cold cranking amps, but does that also mean that you get more amp hours. For example, can I listen to the radio longer with the engine off without worrying about killing the battery as quickly?
That is correct, and AGM batteries are typically much better for deep cycling as well, so if you do drain your battery a fair amount, it won't reduce its life like it will a regular battery.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts