Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,878 Posts
It's been a long time since I've actually purchased anything from Autozone. What kind of rewards or coupons do they have for batteries? I typically order all my parts, and typically from Rockauto, but I'm confident they won't ship me a battery.

Diehard = No signficant promotions that I found 11/25/14
Advance Auto = Maybe 30/40% off but not around me 11/25/14
Autozone= ?? 11/25/14

As black friday approaches any good deals please update this thread.
My brother was a part-time Autozone employee during breaks from college, so he still has a 30% discount.

17,878 Posts
Mine came with a 438 CCA. GM had a bunch of problems with them, so started using the 525 later in the production run. My 438 was replaced with a 525 when that went dead.

Don't think it takes much to turn over this tiny engine.
It really does not! I doubt much else would have started on this...

17,878 Posts
Quick battery question for everyone. In January 2016 my OEM battery took a dump. I was in a pinch (couldn't do much research) and picked up a Bosch Platinum Series AGM H7/94R (spec wise a much better battery than OEM) from Pep Boys. The battery got me through the rest of the winter and was a champ all summer long. Just recently (start of November) I've noticed that in the mornings when I start my car (it sits outside overnight for about 14 hours), it cranks a lot harder and takes longer to turn over. This got me nervous, as its only been in the low 30Fs and IL winters get far colder than that. I took it to the dealer to have them do some testing on the battery, alternator, etc. Everything came back aces and I was told that the most likely cause was short tripping. I drive to and from work 5 days a week, 20 miles round trip (70% stop and go city, 30% "city hwy" - 40-50mph) and usually get a good hwy drive in once a week. In my mind, that's not really short tripping. What do you guys think? Am I really short tripping? Time for a new battery already? How long does it take to top off the battery charge from the alternator when driving? Any other causes? This was never an issue with the OEM battery. That was great until the morning it just died with no warning.
I don't think so at all. I used to use my car ~1 time a week to run errands (5-10 miles at most, many starts) and it would sit around undriven the rest of the time. Never had an issue with the AGM battery - always cranked right up and held itself above 12V.

What's the current voltage when the car is off? You could also have the battery load-tested at an auto parts store to see if it's providing the correct cranking amperage.

Battery cables are a common issue on these cars - don't know about the diesels, but I think even 2014's were affected by that.

17,878 Posts
It's not necessary, indeed. It just gives a more stable charging current, less voltage fluctuations or spikes, and should help the battery live a little longer.
If you turn on the digital volt meter on the car's dash, you can see that voltages can quickly fluctuate between 12.6V and 14.8V.
A cap can even them out.
It can also help with better starting on a worn or cold battery; but the difference is minimal
Voltage fluctuates like that because the alternator disengages itself when accelerating or not needed for fuel economy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts