Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Cruze Battery Upgrade Options

165913 Views 120 Replies 51 Participants Last post by  Cruze CTRL
I had this discussion with bartonmd on the FB group earlier today and he provided a few options for battery replacement upgrades over what we have from GM. As you guys may know, the 1.8/1.4T battery tray is adjustable and has plenty of room left for a bigger battery.

Here are the specs for the OEM H5/47 group size, from an AutoCraft Gold battery:

H5/47:
520 Cold cranking amps
7.5" Height
9.57" Length
6.938" Width
Weight: 45 lbs
Price: $161.99

The following two group sizes fit in our battery trays. Here are the specs I found for the Advance Auto AutoCraft Platinum AGM battery. I strongly recommend any AGM battery. I've posted the differences over the OEM battery (assuming the AutoCraft Gold is equivalent or similar) in bolded green. The CCA specs and prices will vary slightly but not by a whole lot.

H6/48:
760 Cold cranking amps (+240 CCA = +46%)
7.5" Height
11" Length
6.938" Width
Weight: 45.66lbs (+0.66lbs = +1.5%)
Price: $174.99 (+$13 = +8%)

H7/94R:
850 CCA (+330 CCA = +63%)
7.5" Height
12.44" Length
6.938" Width
Weight: 51.83lbs (+6.83lbs = +15%)
Price: $187.99 (+$26 = +16%)

Here is what the OEM H5 battery looks like in the battery tray:

Here is what the H6/48 battery looks like in the battery tray:

Here's a picture of the H7/94R battery in the Cruze:

Remember, if you have an Advance Auto Parts store near by, there is almost always a 30% coupon available that will knock $50 off the price of a battery. Order online to pick up in store.
21 - 40 of 121 Posts

· Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
Bit of a update....looked at Diesel Cruze 94R yesterday.......Delco CCA rating 730amps.

Also, this is a 'AGM' design.....uh.....uh.....brain fade.....darnit!

Can't remember what the bloomin 'A' stands for......anyways, the rest is for Glass Mat.......one of you geniuses will have to pipe in....old age sucks at times....this is one of those times.
Big time energy release capability.......must really give that high compression diesel quite a boot the moment the starter engages.

Rob
Adanced Glass ​Mat

· Registered
169 Posts
So I have a question, I installed the Technostalgia LED tail lights in my car. Every now and then I noticed that all the lights aren't turning on. I will have to turn the car off and back on and they all start to work. Could a bigger battery help me in this case? Here is a link to my problem

· Premium Member
5,470 Posts
So I have a question, I installed the Technostalgia LED tail lights in my car. Every now and then I noticed that all the lights aren't turning on. I will have to turn the car off and back on and they all start to work. Could a bigger battery help me in this case? Here is a link to my problem
Not a battery issue.....there's something going on with the lamps themselves.
Can you contact the supplier???? I think they will provide better direction.

Rob

· Registered
1,383 Posts
When installing one of these larger batteries, do you have to take the 2 or 3 positive wires off the curcuit block that is ontop of the positive side of the battery?

Rather than removal of just the two battery terminals and sliding the battery forward and then lifting up (with a small battery), I would assume that everything would have to be clear for a straight upward lift for one of these bigger models? Is there an easier way to do it, rather than disconnecting what could become an electrical issue in the future?

The 1.4L cables are long enough to position for the big diesel battery?

It's cold outside in Minnesota, and this is on my list, and I tend to open more of a can of worms than I have to!

Thanks-

· Registered
57 Posts
1. No, you don't unhook anything other than the positive battery cable on the positive side.

2. I slide it in from the front just fine. I had my wife hold up the positive side thing while I slide it in.

3. The negative cable needs no mods. You can unhook your own and move it to see. It has to be moved out of the way when you slide it out anyway, so it's way longer than it needs to be anyway.

4. The positive side stays in the exact same place, so it isn't extended or anything.

5. Just put the new one in the same way you took the old one out, easiest upgrade out there next to putting a go fast sticker on your car.

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Thanks Bulldog!

I don't have an Advance near me, but we do have Sears and Mills Fleet Farm pretty close. (That's a farm supply store in Minnesota and Wisconsin.) I'm going to keep my eye out for black friday deals on this one. I was googling this about a year ago, and it looked like a H7 would fit, but at that time nobody had tried it. Glad to see it works.

My local Walmart and Sams, have no returns on batteries once purchased unless defective, and Walmart actually mentioned they may void the warranty for a battery not installed in the appropriate vehicle.

Those of us doing this ourselfs understand what we're doing, and understand how this battery tray works. It appears that some places will only install and warranty the battery that's listed in the book. If you're ever asked what car did this come out of, you can always say the "diesel version".

Anything to not consider paying on the warranty. Crazyness

· Reverend Red Bull
1,154 Posts
we do have Sears and Mills Fleet Farm pretty close. (That's a farm supply store in Minnesota and Wisconsin.)

My local Walmart and Sams, have no returns on batteries once purchased unless defective, and Walmart actually mentioned they may void the warranty for a battery not installed in the appropriate vehicle.
We've got Mills Fleet Farm here in the northern edge of Iowa too - Great store. I've never checked out their batteries there, though. What brand are they? I used to go with the Sears Die Hard batteries, but the last one I put in my wife's van only lasted 2 years, and our local store has given me a hard time about giving me my core refund because of being a couple days late to return the old battery. Lately, I've been getting Interstate batteries from my tire guy, and I've been pretty happy with the results.

I wouldn't buy a battery from WalMart or Sams unless it was the last battery in town and there was a hurricane or lava flow approaching. I'll get jeans, canned goods, or generic allergy pills there, but won't touch anything electronic or anything in the automotive department except oil. Back when I was selling computers for another retailer, I learned from the HP, Lexmark, and Canon reps who visited our store how Walmart purchases their products.

Ever notice how the average grocery store might sell a 24 pack of a product or a 12 oz. package, but Walmart sells a 20 pack or a 10.5 oz. package to get the price down? They do the same thing with electronics. Let's say that the national model of an HP computer is 1234us, but Walmart is selling the 1234b or the 1234sc. Or maybe a printer is the Canon 123, but Walmart is selling a 123c. Those different or additional letters at the end of the model number mean that they have modified the product for WalMart distribution. It's usually in the fine print specs. All the big numbers might be the same (like processor speed or amount of RAM on a computer), but deeper details (like using a 5400rpm hard drive instead of a 7200 or having fewer expansion slots) have been altered to reduce the cost of the product. That's why many times you can't get a price match from Target or Best Buy on a Walmart product - because it's actually a different product, even though the model number is almost identical. Similar tactics are used on TVs, Digital Cameras, etc.

Knowing they do that on electronics makes me really cautious about what they might be doing to batteries or other parts that I depend on to keep my car working reliably.

· Registered
61 Posts
Decided on a Duralast Platinum AGM battery (rebranded Deka Intimidator). H6, 735 CCA.

My car starts in like a crank and a half, and MUCH stronger now. Not used to this at all.
Just got a Duralast Platinum Agm H7 850 CCA the other day. Totally worth it. Car starts faster too.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Decided on a Duralast Platinum AGM battery (rebranded Deka Intimidator). H6, 735 CC
It's been a long time since I've actually purchased anything from Autozone. What kind of rewards or coupons do they have for batteries? I typically order all my parts, and typically from Rockauto, but I'm confident they won't ship me a battery.

Diehard = No signficant promotions that I found 11/25/14
Advance Auto = Maybe 30/40% off but not around me 11/25/14
Autozone= ?? 11/25/14

As black friday approaches any good deals please update this thread.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,878 Posts
It's been a long time since I've actually purchased anything from Autozone. What kind of rewards or coupons do they have for batteries? I typically order all my parts, and typically from Rockauto, but I'm confident they won't ship me a battery.

Diehard = No signficant promotions that I found 11/25/14
Advance Auto = Maybe 30/40% off but not around me 11/25/14
Autozone= ?? 11/25/14

As black friday approaches any good deals please update this thread.
My brother was a part-time Autozone employee during breaks from college, so he still has a 30% discount.

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
I notice allot of you are going with the larger battery, what's the weight difference vs stock? If GM thought every pound counted with the ECO enough to shave off 3 gallons of gas(a gallon of gas is 6 pounds), would think adding any additional weight could start bringing down your MPG.

21 - 40 of 121 Posts