Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Cruze Battery Upgrade Options

165915 Views 120 Replies 51 Participants Last post by  Cruze CTRL
I had this discussion with bartonmd on the FB group earlier today and he provided a few options for battery replacement upgrades over what we have from GM. As you guys may know, the 1.8/1.4T battery tray is adjustable and has plenty of room left for a bigger battery.

Here are the specs for the OEM H5/47 group size, from an AutoCraft Gold battery:

H5/47:
520 Cold cranking amps
7.5" Height
9.57" Length
6.938" Width
Weight: 45 lbs
Price: $161.99

The following two group sizes fit in our battery trays. Here are the specs I found for the Advance Auto AutoCraft Platinum AGM battery. I strongly recommend any AGM battery. I've posted the differences over the OEM battery (assuming the AutoCraft Gold is equivalent or similar) in bolded green. The CCA specs and prices will vary slightly but not by a whole lot.

H6/48:
760 Cold cranking amps (+240 CCA = +46%)
7.5" Height
11" Length
6.938" Width
Weight: 45.66lbs (+0.66lbs = +1.5%)
Price: $174.99 (+$13 = +8%)

H7/94R:
850 CCA (+330 CCA = +63%)
7.5" Height
12.44" Length
6.938" Width
Weight: 51.83lbs (+6.83lbs = +15%)
Price: $187.99 (+$26 = +16%)

Here is what the OEM H5 battery looks like in the battery tray:

Here is what the H6/48 battery looks like in the battery tray:

Here's a picture of the H7/94R battery in the Cruze:

Remember, if you have an Advance Auto Parts store near by, there is almost always a 30% coupon available that will knock $50 off the price of a battery. Order online to pick up in store.
41 - 60 of 121 Posts

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Spacedout-

I think you're exactly right. The reason why the 2011-2012 Cruzes have the 525 CCA battery vs the 600+ in the 2013 all comes down to weight. Sure the larger batteries may weigh an additional 10-15 lbs, but I really don't think that weight will change fuel economy signficantly. I added a rear hitch to mine, and that's nearly 40 lbs, and didn't see a significant difference in mpg. More accurate weight can be found searching individual batterys. Sears I believe lists weights.

Yes, all the weight everywhere adds up, and must be considered. I've never read the actual amp draw of the starter when starting this vehicle, but I assume its fairly low, compared to a V8 normally asperated vehicle running dino oil.

One theory may be a larger battery gives a longer life simply due to the fact that a Cruze will probably operate longer at 50% battery capacity if the battery started out as a 700+ CCA, vs. the 550 or 600.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, but traditional lead acid batteries have a Northern Design and a Southern Design based on were you live. It has to do with the Lead to Acid Ratio. CCA vs. cooling capacity (Boil Over Protection) for warmer climates.

The factory battery is a one size fits all, and unfortuantely I think even a standard off the shelf appropriate climate battery sized with the standard H5 series may be better than the factory battery.

I wouldn't doubt the factory battery was rated at 525 CCA because there was a weight spec on it.

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
I wouldn't doubt the factory battery was rated at 525 CCA because there was a weight spec on it.
I replaced my stock battery last fall with a sears agm(group 47, direct replacement 600CCA). Seemed the AGM battery was lighter than the stock battery, if I would have been thinking I should have weighed them.

My car sits outside 100% of the time, on previous cars anything more than 8-10hours on below zero nights my car would start a bit hard in the AM(even with new batteries). The stock cruze battery was fine at 18hrs, the AGM was at 24hrs in the same conditions. Imagine I could go a couple days in the winter with even the stock setup if I really wanted to push it. Don't think it takes much to turn over this tiny engine.

· Premium Member
5,470 Posts
Kinda weird.....I was looking at a 2015 Cruze yesterday and it had the 525ah......so does the 4cyl Equanox.

Are you sure that you are seeing the SAE rating? (Two ratings are shown....SAE and I don't recall the other because here in the US and I think all of North America we only are concerned with the SAE.)

Rob

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Kinda weird.....I was looking at a 2015 Cruze yesterday and it had the 525ah......so does the 4cyl Equanox.

Are you sure that you are seeing the SAE rating? (Two ratings are shown....SAE and I don't recall the other because here in the US and I think all of North America we only are concerned with the SAE.)

Rob
Robb- I'm not infront of my 2012, but I know what you mean with two numbers on the original label. I looked at it yesterday and I believe 525 CCA was the Society of Automotive Engineers rating. I think that's what SAE stands for, but I may be having a brain freeze!

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,878 Posts
Mine came with a 438 CCA. GM had a bunch of problems with them, so started using the 525 later in the production run. My 438 was replaced with a 525 when that went dead.

Don't think it takes much to turn over this tiny engine.
It really does not! I doubt much else would have started on this...

· Administrator
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
I notice allot of you are going with the larger battery, what's the weight difference vs stock? If GM thought every pound counted with the ECO enough to shave off 3 gallons of gas(a gallon of gas is 6 pounds), would think adding any additional weight could start bringing down your MPG.
I posted the weight differences between the OEM replacement and the larger AGM batteries in post 1.

The H7 is less than 7 pounds heavier than the lead acid OEM size battery.

· Registered
217 Posts
Decided on a Duralast Platinum AGM battery (rebranded Deka Intimidator). H6, 735 CCA.

My car starts in like a crank and a half, and MUCH stronger now. Not used to this at all.
I use the Deka Intimidator in all my VW's after switching from Optima (got too expensive). Very dependable and has the highest CCA rating for its size.

· Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion about replacing a standard lead acid battery for super capacitors in parallel. For instance several 12v capacitors in parallel to match the CCA of a normal car battery granted you might spend as much an optima battery but the 40lb.+ weight savings would be a big deal.

· Premium Member
7,545 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion about replacing a standard lead acid battery for super capacitors in parallel.
Only if they are sold for that application. Capacitors and batteries are two very different animals. Do a Google for "capacitor discharge curve" and "lead acid battery discharge curve" and you'll see what I mean. A battery holds it's voltage as it's capacity is used up, but a capacitor drops like a rock.

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Snowvette-

I think you're one of the first that installed the biggest batteries. Did you have to remove the Circuit block that's attached to the positive cable?

I would assume the H7 would be pretty long, and you might not be able to "angle it under" the circuit block.

My 2012 is 4 years old this month, and still has the factory battery. So far so good, but if remove the battery again it will be for replacement. I removed it and had it tested last year thinking I had problems.

41 - 60 of 121 Posts