Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Cruze Battery Upgrade Options

162979 120
I had this discussion with bartonmd on the FB group earlier today and he provided a few options for battery replacement upgrades over what we have from GM. As you guys may know, the 1.8/1.4T battery tray is adjustable and has plenty of room left for a bigger battery.

Here are the specs for the OEM H5/47 group size, from an AutoCraft Gold battery:

H5/47:
520 Cold cranking amps
7.5" Height
9.57" Length
6.938" Width
Weight: 45 lbs
Price: $161.99

The following two group sizes fit in our battery trays. Here are the specs I found for the Advance Auto AutoCraft Platinum AGM battery. I strongly recommend any AGM battery. I've posted the differences over the OEM battery (assuming the AutoCraft Gold is equivalent or similar) in bolded green. The CCA specs and prices will vary slightly but not by a whole lot.

H6/48:
760 Cold cranking amps (+240 CCA = +46%)
7.5" Height
11" Length
6.938" Width
Weight: 45.66lbs (+0.66lbs = +1.5%)
Price: $174.99 (+$13 = +8%)

H7/94R:
850 CCA (+330 CCA = +63%)
7.5" Height
12.44" Length
6.938" Width
Weight: 51.83lbs (+6.83lbs = +15%)
Price: $187.99 (+$26 = +16%)

Here is what the OEM H5 battery looks like in the battery tray:

Here is what the H6/48 battery looks like in the battery tray:

Here's a picture of the H7/94R battery in the Cruze:

Remember, if you have an Advance Auto Parts store near by, there is almost always a 30% coupon available that will knock $50 off the price of a battery. Order online to pick up in store.
101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Just so everyone knows there's a code right now to get 30% off batteries at Advance Auto on you can get the H6 for about $130 and you can get the H7 for about $190.

The code is EM308A

It looks like the codes only good for about three more days, so if you think you need a new battery get one now.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just so everyone knows there's a code right now to get 30% off batteries at Advance Auto on you can get the H6 for about $130 and you can get the H7 for about $190.

The code is EM308A

It looks like the codes only good for about three more days, so if you think you need a new battery get one now.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Looking to get the H6 but just missed out on this coupon. There's a 25% offer for signing up for their emails, but I'll probably wait for another 30% offer if I can.

This took me awhile to figure out: The group sizes list maximum sizes. So the H6/48 size can be longer, but the Platinum AGM doesn't use the max size. So a H6 Gold and H6 Platinum AGM are different actual sizes.

·
Super Moderator
5,234 Posts
I bought 2 AutoCraft H5s today for my '13 and '14. After the $50 off for the both, it came down to 134.99 ea. Seems to be about the going price anymore for a decent battery. Actually the same price as what I paid for the battery form my 2012 from Sam's back in 2016.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey XR, just wanted to say thanks for the info and pics. I went out on Black Friday and scored a H7 94R Boshe Platinum AGM for a great price and it installed super easy on my Eco. Can't wait to test 'er out. Thanks!
Mike

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,998 Posts
What's that other ground wire for???
What picture are you looking at?

Could be the block to body, could be part of the big three kit used to upgrade your electrical system etc.

·
Administrator
13,998 Posts
If anyone is looking, PEP Boys have the

Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery Group, Size H7/L4/94R
Part #:94R800BAGM
| SKU :838845
★★★★★★★★★★
See all 208 reviews

The battery is on sale at 25% off for $146.24, regularly $194.99. I shopped at nine different outlets for an H7/94R in general and no one came close this time of year. I believe today only.

·
Registered
2013 1LT/RS
48 Posts
Remember, if you have an Advance Auto Parts store near by, there is almost always a 30% coupon available that will knock $50 off the price of a battery. Order online to pick up in store.
Heads-up, since Advance bought/implemented the Diehard branding on their batteries their coupon codes now exclude batteries. Speed Perks coupons (Advance Auto Parts rewards) can be used, but other coupons cannot. I was able to get an AGM battery for my wife's car for 25% off in July of 2020, by October of 2020 when my car needed one the coupon rules had changed.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Heads-up, since Advance bought/implemented the Diehard branding on their batteries their coupon codes now exclude batteries. Speed Perks coupons (Advance Auto Parts rewards) can be used, but other coupons cannot. I was able to get an AGM battery for my wife's car for 25% off in July of 2020, by October of 2020 when my car needed one the coupon rules had changed.
Noticed this. Kinda sucks. LOL 😕

·
Administrator
13,998 Posts
If anyone is looking, PEP Boys have the

Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery Group, Size H7/L4/94R
Part #:94R800BAGM
| SKU :838845
★★★★★★★★★★
See all 208 reviews

The battery is on sale at 25% off for $146.24, regularly $194.99. I shopped at nine different outlets for an H7/94R in general and no one came close this time of year. I believe today only.
The battery I installed in 2020 just died. It has a bad cell. PepBoys parts stores went out of business and so I called Bosch the manufacturer. They said they needed to know when I purchased, how much I paid and where I purchased it at. I gave them those three pieces of information along with the part number and they then said I needed a receipt as since they went out of business, they could not determine if the information I gave them was true or not. I said I had a credit card receipt, but that was not good enough. I said the battery has a manufacture date and that it also states it comes with a 4 year 100% replacement. Still wouldn't budge. I think it was a convenient way to get out of a bunch of warranty claims on their part. I said thanks and that I was going to purchase a Duralast battery as Autozone keeps records of past purchases and warranties.

·
Administrator
13,998 Posts
Autozone is the best for returns. I had a bad battery once when Pepboys still had parts and they would not take it because my receipt was faded.....
Autozone refused to take the battery I bought back when I found out it was really the starter that was the issue. Anyone looking for a killer battery for less than what AZ sells it for?:D

101 - 120 of 121 Posts