Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

381 - 400 of 441 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Without having to dig through all 39 pages (and I have to get up early for class tomorrow, sorry!), I am having the Dirty Sock smell from my vents, as talked about on this page. I brought it to the Dealer's attention and the only thing they suggested was to spray some Lysol into the vents to clear out any mold or mildew that may be present.

So my question is, should I take it back and complain? I don't want to have my passengers or myself to have to smell this or maybe even have health concerns. It goes away after driving it for a few minutes and it's not as pronounced of a smell due to the cold, but it is still there.

Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
The mold oder is annoying but harmless.....don't frett about health concerns.

The dealer has a product available to them as well as a proceedure to use that product, for the purpose of killing the mold and odor.
Some dealers will perform this as a customer satisfaction type warranty but it is not a defect in material or workmanship.

Once the proceedure is performed, have the dealer enable the 'afterblow' function in your computer.
This allows the HVAC fan to cycle several times for 30 seconds or so after shut off to help dry the evaporator core and prevent new mold growth.

Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
The mold oder is annoying but harmless.....don't frett about health concerns.

The dealer has a product available to them as well as a proceedure to use that product, for the purpose of killing the mold and odor.
Some dealers will perform this as a customer satisfaction type warranty but it is not a defect in material or workmanship.

Once the proceedure is performed, have the dealer enable the 'afterblow' function in your computer.
This allows the HVAC fan to cycle several times for 30 seconds or so after shut off to help dry the evaporator core and prevent new mold growth.

Rob
I will have to have them do this then! Thanks for the quick reply! After posting the two problems I have had with my Cruze, you all have been wonderful in responding very quickly!

·
Administrator
25,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #385
Turning on the afterblow might also help with your window fogging issue. Afterblow is like a hair dryer and dries out the HVAC air ducts. If there's moisture in these ducts it will immediately fog your windows when you turn on the blower.

·
Registered
586 Posts
WOW! What a smell! My wife and I experienced this for the first time tonight. I turned on the defrost-heat for the first time this season and it about made us sick! We've had some minor interior smell before but nothing like this. I'll try a can of Lysol this weekend.

·
Administrator
25,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
WOW! What a smell! My wife and I experienced this for the first time tonight. I turned on the defrost-heat for the first time this season and it about made us sick! We've had some minor interior smell before but nothing like this. I'll try a can of Lysol this weekend.
Based on your description you have the HVAC lubricant smell. "Defrost-heat" is the clue here. You'll need to get that HVAC box replaced.

·
Administrator
25,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
I dont know about that. We've had the car for two years now and not smelled this. It does smell just like the dirty sock complaint.
In that case lysol and get your dealer to turn on afterblow. It's a BCM setting. Also, replace your cabin air filter - it may have caught something.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey Cruze01,

If you need any assistance into the dealership, feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership. We are always happy to assist!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the same problem for years ,they change de water pump , they put a part the front panel , last fix they added a hoze on the tank
smeel never got away
so this week end i desided to chek Inside the Hood to see
there stupide fix a came a part .......
i am gona take my cruze 2012 eco rental back this week ,,,,,

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
I'm at 85K on my 2012, will GM perform the PI at no cost?
Probably not, but I'd try for a goodwill warranty since ALL the 2011, 2012, and half the 2013s have the HVAC box with the stinky grease.

·
Registered
10 Posts
cabin odor

Well, I am heading to my Chevy dealer service dept. this morning to hopefully receive the correct solution for the cabin odor in my 2013 Cruze. Odor in cabin when the heat is on high, and a noise when I switch the direction of airflow. I would like to thank everyone who has contributed info about whats going on with our Cruzes. Sounds like it has been a witch hunt for awhile, but now real solutions are beginning to surface. I will post what happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am posting today to state that I am extremely annoyed with the problems with my Cruze. My Cruze is a 2013 1.8 LS with only 20,900 miles. Further, besides the current surging idle at startup which makes the vehicle shake like a old diesel, this morning I hazardly come to find out that the heater started to blow a burning oil/coolant smell into the cabin while I was taking my 4 year old son to school. In addition, while reading on the CruzeTalk forum today, I noticed these issues are well documented by many owners and I am concerned regarding the reliability/longevity of this GM product. Planning to drop off the vehicle at the dealership, so please advise me of what to expect.

·
Administrator
25,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Hello, I am posting today to state that I am extremely annoyed with the problems with my Cruze. My Cruze is a 2013 1.8 LS with only 20,900 miles. Further, besides the current surging idle at startup which makes the vehicle shake like a old diesel, this morning I hazardly come to find out that the heater started to blow a burning oil/coolant smell into the cabin while I was taking my 4 year old son to school. In addition, while reading on the CruzeTalk forum today, I noticed these issues are well documented by many owners and I am concerned regarding the reliability/longevity of this GM product. Planning to drop off the vehicle at the dealership, so please advise me of what to expect.
You have two separate problems. First, assuming you are reporting electrical surging at startup, this is the negative battery cable. If the surging is engine speed it's most likely a vacuum leak. Second, the odor is most likely the HVAC box. You will have to walk your dealership's service department through the diagnostic or they will go for the wrong fix on this one.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
We would be more than happy to look into this further for you! Please send us a private message including your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership. We look forward to assisting you!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just left the dealership after having the coolant smell for the first time on Friday. They gave it back to me in 20 minutes saying that the coolant reservoir is full and no leaks detected.

Had to come here to get the PI numbers for future reference when/if I need to take it back.

Thanks for the excellent write-up with everything included.

381 - 400 of 441 Posts