Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

401 - 420 of 441 Posts

·
Administrator
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
Even handing them the proper PI for the cabin coolant odor, my dealership gave me the brush off. I plan on pushing the issue harder until it is resolved when I go in for a couple other things before my B2B is up.
Start with a PM to our Chevy Customer Care folks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents here, I posted on the other sticky FIX for coolant odors. Mine was a defective Water Outlet, the water outlet had a small crack causing coolant to bubble out onto the engine and pool, when the engine heated up enough it caused the coolant to vaporize and get sucked into the HVAC as boiled off. I replaced the Outlet myself because I couldnt confirm GM would do it under powertrain and the part was cheap also I didnt have time to wait 3 weeks for my dealer to do it, the repair is messy though. No more odors now and my coolant levels are holding steady.

I had my water pump replaced because it was leaking but this was not causing any odors because it was leaking directly onto the ground, after they replaced it the water outlet started to leak and caused the odors, so either the stress from the water pump repair cracked the outlet or the pressure being restored from the leak being fixed caused the crack, not sure.

·
Registered
334 Posts
ABD, how many miles on your Eco AT? Any more details as to what was going on when you smelled it? HVAC settings, climate etc?
I just passed the 52k mark. I'd never experienced the smell in the cabin before, and cannot recall now the HVAC settings.

When it forst happened, I remembered the plethora of coolant problems that have been recorded with our Cruzes, so I parked and started looking under the hood and couldnt smell it outside nor could I find any trace of leaks or venting.

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
I just passed the 52k mark. I'd never experienced the smell in the cabin before, and cannot recall now the HVAC settings.

When it forst happened, I remembered the plethora of coolant problems that have been recorded with our Cruzes, so I parked and started looking under the hood and couldnt smell it outside nor could I find any trace of leaks or venting.
That strongly suggests to me the problem is "inside". Possibly a leaking heater core. But I've also seen messages that a lubricant used in the system stinks under certain conditions (hot?).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Odor requires HVAC Case replacement?

I took my 2012 cruze to the dealer today, I can feel the odor coming on the driver side for quiet some time - when i told the supervisor to check - they came back and told me the HVAC CASE has to be replaced with a new one. Looks like something melted down due to the heat. He said it will cost me $1600 to replace and fix the problem. ( he told me its a big labor work like he has to rip open the dash to replace the part). I don't know why that part melted and how can it melt down. My cruse is running at 41K miles, and i dont think i can get anything covered under warranty.....I'm broke now. Any suggestions and advice's i can get to get it fixed. I dont know what to do.... can GM take up the case?? How can something melt down just like that. Heater is supposed to heat not to burn down the car. :((

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
can GM take up the case?? How can something melt down just like that. Heater is supposed to heat not to burn down the car. :((
Get in touch with GM Customer Service here on the forum. I'm not sure what they may or may not be able to do, but that's for sure your best place to start.

The "melting" part is the lubricant used in the HVAC case. Apparently some cars had excessive grease applied to certain areas of the case and it becomes susceptible to thermal breakdown. A new case should have the correct amount of grease applied, as well as use a grease that is more thermally resilient.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Get in touch with GM Customer Service here on the forum. I'm not sure what they may or may not be able to do, but that's for sure your best place to start.

The "melting" part is the lubricant used in the HVAC case. Apparently some cars had excessive grease applied to certain areas of the case and it becomes susceptible to thermal breakdown. A new case should have the correct amount of grease applied, as well as use a grease that is more thermally resilient.
If I remember correctly the replaced HVAC case assembly they put in the Cruze I owned had the lubricant replaced with Uniflor 8172.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Has anyone else noticed their water pump bolts leaking? I've noticed my coolant been low for a well now. Got in there with a flash light and found a tail of what I expect to be coolant leaking from my bolts under my thermostat housing. Has anyone had the P10762 done on their car?

I know the water pump has a extended warranty 150k miles but does that cover the mounting bolts also or am I sol?

2011 1.4l already had one water pump replaced. Wondering if this leak Would be covered also? Before o bring it on for diagnosis and a 100$ bill.

·
Administrator
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #411
Has anyone else noticed their water pump bolts leaking? I've noticed my coolant been low for a well now. Got in there with a flash light and found a tail of what I expect to be coolant leaking from my bolts under my thermostat housing. Has anyone had the P10762 done on their car?

I know the water pump has a extended warranty 150k miles but does that cover the mounting bolts also or am I sol?

2011 1.4l already had one water pump replaced. Wondering if this leak Would be covered also? Before o bring it on for diagnosis and a 100$ bill.
The bolts are part of the water pump casing so they should be covered.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Its there any service to check air quality? To prove that it is dangerous air we are breathing in. I have a slight smell but not too serious but I just want to make sure i'm not poisoning myself when using the heat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just noticed this on my cruze, but only when parked. it smells more like oil than antifreeze, but that may be a dexcool thing? It is not noticeable at all when driving and only just became noticeable during cold weather. I never smelled it during warmer weather. Would this still be something with the overflow tank?

·
Administrator
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #415
just noticed this on my cruze, but only when parked. it smells more like oil than antifreeze, but that may be a dexcool thing? It is not noticeable at all when driving and only just became noticeable during cold weather. I never smelled it during warmer weather. Would this still be something with the overflow tank?
If it smells more like oil it is probably a pressure induced oil leak. I had one last winter at the oil pan seal and it only smelled when it was cold outside.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Been off the forum for a few years as we have had no issues. Then today my wife says the smell of antifreeze musty smell inside the car. Now we have our 2012 RS 1.4T going in for a recall on the 15. With out reading all the way threw what seams to be the most common issue people have found. If I can get a chance in the next few days i will have a look around and see if I can see any leaks.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
BThen today my wife says the smell of antifreeze musty smell inside the car. Now we have our 2012 RS 1.4T going in for a recall on the 15. With out reading all the way threw what seams to be the most common issue people have found.
You may have a leak. Or it may be the grease used in the heater box which smells like antifreeze when it's hot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks
Can I see the heater box issue from the inside or do I have to get into removing panels. I am a wrench well was and my back and neck can not do a lot.

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
Can I see the heater box issue from the inside or do I have to get into removing panels. I am a wrench well was and my back and neck can not do a lot.
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I think others have indicated that if you have a leak, it's not subtle. Your carpets will be soaked.

·
Administrator
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #420
Another source of odor in the winter is the coolant tank cap. O-rings are notoriously bad at sealing when temperatures drop - just ask NASA. My 2012 ECO MT doesn't loose any coolant during the summer but it definitely seeps around the o-ring in the tank cap in the winter. The main cabin air intake is about a foot directly behind this cap.

401 - 420 of 441 Posts