Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

421 - 440 of 441 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Another source of odor in the winter is the coolant tank cap. O-rings are notoriously bad at sealing when temperatures drop - just ask NASA. My 2012 ECO MT doesn't loose any coolant during the summer but it definitely seeps around the o-ring in the tank cap in the winter. The main cabin air intake is about a foot directly behind this cap.
Which means the first step is to sniff for coolant smells on the outside and fix that first. If you can smell it outside, it will get inside. Even in recirculate mode, it won't cut off all outside air.

·
Administrator
25,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
Which means the first step is to sniff for coolant smells on the outside and fix that first. If you can smell it outside, it will get inside. Even in recirculate mode, it won't cut off all outside air.
I've actually gotten whifs of coolant inside but it wasn't until I opened the hood that I could smell it in the engine bay, so definitely open the hood to check for coolant odors in the engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
First,let me start by sending out a big THANK YOU to everyone here on the site who has shared information about this issue:goodjob:

I'm one of many who has had the misfortune of being affected by many of the coolant odor problems from the first year that I bought my new vehicle in 2011.Several attempts were made to fix the issue (new seals,moving hoses,replacing water pump) which did lessen the odor but never quite cured it.Since it was a documented issue I was told that should it get worse they would look into it under warranty.....so just kept it in mind that it would be taken care of if it got too bad.By the way I had extended warranty 100 000 km, powertrain 160 000 km.

So when the weather started getting cooler this year and I began using the heat I noticed the odor getting stronger,within a few weeks it got so bad I had to drive with my window down with heat turned to defrost which lessened the odor but froze my feet.Oh my, the headaches,nausea and taste in your mouth for days after as well as breathing issue requiring an inhaler.Off to my local dealership I go and they do a seal,hose,leak and pressure check which resulted in the "unable to verify" even though tech could smell the odor.Was then told in order for them to search further I would be required to pay for all further testing.As you can imagine, I strongly disagreed with this and let them know.At this point the they contacted TAC (don't know what that stands for) and were directed to PI0935 HVAC case replacement.I was then informed that since my warranty had expired I would have to cover the cost (almost $3000.00 with tax).Needless to say I did not agree as this had been an ongoing issue with the heater smell.

After relaying my comments to the manager,the consultant came back and said as I had so much other warranty work done dealing with this same issue,they had lowered my cost to a little over $700.00 with tax and wondered if I wanted the parts ordered to which I said NO,I would be contacting GM directly..which I did after I used google and found you guys.:3tens:

GM Customer Care rep (Beverly) took my info,including what I had learned on this site and said she would look into it and get back to me,resulting in an offer of my share of the cost being lowered to $198.00 plus tax.Seeing as I could no longer drive the vehicle without getting sick I had no choice but to agree,intending afterward to leave GM behind.

Fast forward to dropping my car off on a Thursday,driving home in a loaner-was called Friday and told would not be ready until Monday (new case cover was broken and had to order another case)

Monday I get a call saying car was ready for pick up.Consultant hands me the keys,along with a bill for the $198.00 +tax and I asked to see the service manager.Reminded him of the ongoing coolant odor issues I had been having with my car,told him of all the complaints I had learned about on this site about the grease odor which had been found in 2013 and it was now 2016 without customers being notified.Told him I could see them not contacting every cruze owner but those of us who had documented problems with the coolant odor should have been contacted by now and anyone still having the issue should have had the repair done under warranty.I then said the fact that GM had not done that was in my opinion very dishonest and if I left there that day paying one cent toward the repair cost I would leave GM for good.....after again contacting Gm,service manager called today and said no charge.

Again,a big thank you to all involved here on the site...sorry for the long post

·
Administrator
25,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #424
Way to stick to your guns. My personal opinion is that the HVAC case should be a free replacement for the life of every Cruze made with the faulty part. It's a manufacturing defect, pure and simple. Maybe not GM's defect, but still a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks obermd, I totally agree,should not be left up to the customer to replace.

Part of the conversation back and forth included talk about this maybe?,at some point ,down the road this may may or may not become a recall and I would be reimbursed-the reply being that by that time I would be moved on to another brand.So anyone who has had this problem keep watch on recalls.

·
Administrator
25,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
I had all the odors listed in the opening post for this thread. Unfortunately I don't think Chevy is going to "recall" this one because they don't see it as a safety issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"3) Other odors ranging from dirty socks to other earthy smells inside the car indicate the presence of mold and/or mildew in the HVAC system. This smell can appear anytime you run the blowers or even during forced air induction into the cabin while moving. It does NOT depend on engine temperature or cabin temperature settings. I am including this issue because it can mask and confuse the odors from the first two problems, making them that much harder to identify and resolve.

The resolution for this is to clean out the HVAC system using the GM mold/mildew kit, ensure the HVAC condensation drain is clear and draining, and turn on the HVAC after-blow to dry the system after you use it.

When correcting cabin odors, replace your cabin air filter at the same time. It will catch and hold glycol, mold, mildew, potentially causing a lingering smell that makes it appear the problem hasn't been corrected, only lessoned. Also, there will be some chemical smell after these fixes are done. This smell is distinct from any other smells and will dissipate over two weeks to a month."

Does anyone have the part number and any kind of procedure/write up on how exactly to do the hvac cleaning with the mold mildew kit? my car has slowly developed a smell that as of late is always there whether or not i have heat or ac running through any vent. and like you said its also present (but lesser) when the hvac is off and im "cruzin"
thanks in advance for any link/info anyone can provide me. i gotta get my daily smellin fresh again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Chevy Cruze Antifreeze Vapors

I'm wondering if I have also been affected by this issue. I just bought my very first used car on December 26th 2015 from a dealership (Ron Tonkin Chevrolet in Portland, OR). I went with a 2012 Chevy Cruze. One month later on January 28th 2016 this happened:

youtube.com/watch?v=7HTTwqyhR4s

I drove it directly to Ron Tonkin's service shop after I filmed this video. The fumes got so thick that my eyes started to burn and my windshield fogged up to a point where it was impossible to see out of it. I showed the service tech and the attendant the video. Both were shocked and noticed a strong and unbearable coolant smell right away upon inspecting the car personally. They set me up with a loaner and assured me they would be able to fix it.

I called back Friday January 29th to see if I could come pick up the car after work. The service tech said that they weren't able to duplicate the issue therefore they could not officially diagnose it. My issue looks like a typical case of what people in this thread have been describing. Does anyone have experience with this? Chevrolet are you still reading these posts and helping your customers? So far, I've experienced nothing but disappointment in both the quality of the vehicle (because of this issue) and the quality of the service I have received. Please help me.

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
I'm wondering if I have also been affected by this issue. I just bought my very first used car on December 26th 2015 from a dealership (Ron Tonkin Chevrolet in Portland, OR). I went with a 2012 Chevy Cruze. One month later on January 28th 2016 this happened:

youtube.com/watch?v=7HTTwqyhR4s

I drove it directly to Ron Tonkin's service shop after I filmed this video. The fumes got so thick that my eyes started to burn and my windshield fogged up to a point where it was impossible to see out of it. I showed the service tech and the attendant the video. Both were shocked and noticed a strong and unbearable coolant smell right away upon inspecting the car personally. They set me up with a loaner and assured me they would be able to fix it.

I called back Friday January 29th to see if I could come pick up the car after work. The service tech said that they weren't able to duplicate the issue therefore they could not officially diagnose it. My issue looks like a typical case of what people in this thread have been describing. Does anyone have experience with this? Chevrolet are you still reading these posts and helping your customers? So far, I've experienced nothing but disappointment in both the quality of the vehicle (because of this issue) and the quality of the service I have received. Please help me.
Nice long story, but...............has the fogging reaccured since the car was returned to you?

Your description falls along the lines of a heater core failing, but there are other things such as a plugged cowl drain that can do this.
Heater core would be noted with every use.....cowl drainage problem could occur every time the car is washed or in heavy rain.....hence the question about it happening since the car was returned.

Rob

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

[url]http://goo.gl/dhebwX

Hey Jvint,

Very sorry for this! I can definitely understand how frustrating this may seem, and would be happy to help. Feel free to send me over a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and dealership. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
10 Posts
So i finally got around to pulling my cabin filter and the filter was pretty dirty and smelled of the stale odor ive been dreading. Ran some scented lysol disinfectant through the hvac on all modes heat/ac and i got rid of my odor. Keeping the filter out of the car until i find a new filter as i am not re-installing that nastyness back into my car. Im so glad i found this thread and was able to narrow it down to the hvac and not the coolant issue. Im never gonna own a car and not be apart of its forum lol thanks everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey, so there are 3 threads, of hundreds of comments on this issue.
Is something finally being done about the issue?
I'm well past my warranty, but have consistently, every year, needed to see my dealer concerning this issue.
Coolant smell in the cabin when turning up the heater

2011 Chevy Cruze Eco.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, so there are 3 threads, of hundreds of comments on this issue.
Is something finally being done about the issue?
I'm well past my warranty, but have consistently, every year, needed to see my dealer concerning this issue.
Coolant smell in the cabin when turning up the heater

2011 Chevy Cruze Eco.
Same problem here. I had to bring the car 3 times to the GM dealership and the problem is still not solved. Any new solution? They replaced the water pump and the antifreeze tank.

Could GM do something about that? It's a health issue since the fumes go inside the cabin...

2012 Chevy Cruze LS

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey,
My solution which helped not going to the dealer last year, was to just not put the heater past halfway point.
It'll take the car about 10 to 15 minutes to warm up, if you rout the air to your feet (hot air rises).
Most of the time I put it at 10 o'clock, and it gets the car nice 75F warm (colder climates probably have to dial in higher).

Other than that, no solution, than every other year or so, go to the dealer and pay them a fixed fee.
Another user mentioned blocking off the heater core, but then you won't be able to heat the car's interior anymore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to go back to the dealer each week.

I'm in Canada, so heat is important during winter.

So basically, the car value is near nothing now.

Would someone from GM contact me please, this needs to be resolved. It's an important health hazard.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just read through 22 pages and eight years later there is no definitive fix from GM? Thank you all for the posts over the years. The best I got was replace the o-ring on the reservoir cap. Sorry to bring this back to life. 2014 1.4T with 140km. Replaced reservoir, water outlet and soon to be o-ring. Nothing spotted on water-pump side. Smells and level drops for at least 2 years now.

·
Administrator
25,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #440
I just read through 22 pages and eight years later there is no definitive fix from GM? Thank you all for the posts over the years. The best I got was replace the o-ring on the reservoir cap. Sorry to bring this back to life. 2014 1.4T with 140km. Replaced reservoir, water outlet and soon to be o-ring. Nothing spotted on water-pump side. Smells and level drops for at least 2 years now.
I think the root cause of a lot of these problems is the extremely high temperatures the Cruze runs. Those members who have replace the electronic thermostats or gotten tunes that reduce the temperature to more normal ranges have reported no further issues with their coolant systems as well as no apparent impact on emissions or fuel efficiency.

421 - 440 of 441 Posts