Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

61 - 80 of 441 Posts

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Ive noticed that my cruze has a strong coolant smell in the engine bay and around the front of the car lately. Im just gonna give it another week or so before i take it in.

·
Administrator
25,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Ive noticed that my cruze has a strong coolant smell in the engine bay and around the front of the car lately. Im just gonna give it another week or so before i take it in.
If your engine coolant level starts dropping don't wait.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Engine coolant level hasnt dropped. Ive been keeping a close eye on it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have been keeping an eye on it. It hasnt moved.

·
5,722 Posts
With the cold temps. this fall I now have the cabin smell. All last winter I never had any smell and now this winter I do. How????

I can detect no smell in the engine bay and my coolant level has not moved.

I believe it's the lube smell, it's just a little different than coolant smell. Still why now after a year of no smell last winter?

The smell isn't causing me headaches or anything, but is there with high heat and low fan setting at the floor.
Pete in PA,

Have you had a chance to have your Chevrolet dealership take a look into this concern?

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
687 Posts
Last winter the 2012 had a slight smell for about 1 minute then it went away. A few weeks ago when the heat first came on, the slight smell was there again for about 1 minute, but then like last year, gone. Now at 31,000 miles on her I've noticed no smell for the last week.

So is it possible for the coolant smell to just stop?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Pete in PA,

Have you had a chance to have your Chevrolet dealership take a look into this concern?

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
I'm going to wait till it's really cold and you need heat all the time.

·
Administrator
25,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I'm going to wait till it's really cold and you need heat all the time.
When you take it in, don't turn off the car. You want the service advisor to really be able to tell that there is no odor outside the car but the inside stinks. This is the only way to get many dealership service departments to skip the under hood diagnostics.

·
5,722 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I brought my 2012 Cruze ECO in to the dealership two weeks ago with an antifreeze smell. They took apart the dash and checked the heater core and found zero leaks. They did re-route some hoses from the resivior tank according to a technical bulletin on the antifreeze smell. Over the past week, I've noticed the smell is still there, although it is less strong. I only notice the smell when the floor register is being used and the car is at operating temperatures with the heat on. I do not notice a smell when the air is blowing through the upper registers or if the heat is not on.

I brought my car in again today and they are going to attempt to deoderize my duct work to see if any residual antifreeze is causing the smell. When I had my car running in the service department, the shop manager sat in my car and said he could smell a "faint" smell of antifreeze. I didn't think it was all that faint. Also, he thought it smelled similar to a dead mouse smell rather than antifreeze. I have a hard time believing that the fruity smell I and others that have rode in my vehicle have smelled is a dead animal. I have had blown head gaskets in previous cars and am well aware of what hot antifreeze smells like. Also, the fact the smell has become less strong after re-routing the tubing seems to indicate that antifreeze is the culprit.

We'll see what happens, hopefully it is just a residual odor left behind and the tube re-routing actually solved the problem.

·
Administrator
25,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
MinnesotaJoe, ask your dealership to clean your HVAC system for mold and mildew. GM provides a kit for this purpose. Dead mouse smell is the giveaway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
loyalsubject,

I look forward to your update once you return from the dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
OK. The smell didn't go away with the deodorizing, which I predicted. When I returned they agreed to do the PI0935 service despite not being convinced themselves that it would resolve the issue.

The service was done this week and the smell is gone, althought it now smells like hot plastic. I'm guessing that's just due to the new materials and that it'll diminish over a few weeks. I do need to return again, as some insulation is sticking up between the windshield and the dash, now, and the little cubby in front of the shifter was reinstalled backwards. I also now have a cold-weather rattle in the right side of the dash. That was one worry I had about this surgery--a full dash removal is bound to create some noise issues. I've emailed my service advisor and have yet to hear back, but I have little doubt that they'll handle these new issues well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
With the cold temps. this fall I now have the cabin smell. All last winter I never had any smell and now this winter I do. How????

I can detect no smell in the engine bay and my coolant level has not moved.

I believe it's the lube smell, it's just a little different than coolant smell. Still why now after a year of no smell last winter?

The smell isn't causing me headaches or anything, but is there with high heat and low fan setting at the floor.
Pete, I got my '13 in February and didn't smell anything until this fall. The PI0935 service fixed the smell. Don't know why it waited, but there must be something about the lube aging, or being exposed to summer A/C use that breaks it down somewhat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks to this forum and its Moderators for the help in diagnosing and info of the PIs (PI-0740) No Fix...But the (PI-0935) Thank God... Fixed the problem...Going into a dealership with the PI # info Helped a great deal...Rather than having them look for leaks and CND and brush you off...Got Chevy Customer Service involved as I had 35,900 miles on car when I found out about this PI...But THEY were Great, they said no problem as it is a documented problem...Major surgery on the dash, but the dealership I took it to did an excellent job no squeaks or rattles which was one of my biggest fears as being a acft mechanic for 30 years its what I'm trained to do is listen for, unusual noises...And dash noises drive me nuts...Kudos to Kelly Chevy, Buick in Decatur IN. They also gave me a 2014 Impala as a loaner, Very Nice may be my next vehicle...Good luck to all...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Minnesotajoe...Have the Dealership ck out PI-0740 as this must be done first and if that doesn't fix problem ck out PI-0935...This latter PI fixed my problem...I only smelled the odor in the fall/winter...The heater is not used in the summer and the heater box is isolated during A/C season...Good Luck!

·
Registered
713 Posts
So basically there is no communication channel whatsoever between dealers and GM, and/or between dealers and the 'quality control' people at GM?
How is it possible that the issue is still there on production vehicles after first being reported over 2 years ago?
Inexcusable, IMO

·
Administrator
25,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
OK. The smell didn't go away with the deodorizing, which I predicted. When I returned they agreed to do the PI0935 service despite not being convinced themselves that it would resolve the issue.

The service was done this week and the smell is gone, althought it now smells like hot plastic. I'm guessing that's just due to the new materials and that it'll diminish over a few weeks. I do need to return again, as some insulation is sticking up between the windshield and the dash, now, and the little cubby in front of the shifter was reinstalled backwards. I also now have a cold-weather rattle in the right side of the dash. That was one worry I had about this surgery--a full dash removal is bound to create some noise issues. I've emailed my service advisor and have yet to hear back, but I have little doubt that they'll handle these new issues well.
The hot plastic smell will dissipate over the next month or so. The best way to deal with the insulation may be an exacto knife, but since they will have to open her up again to find the rattle it should get done then. I'm not sure how they could have put the cubby in backwards - mine will only fit in one direction.

·
Administrator
25,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
The HVAC box being replaced in PI-0935 is used year round. The difference is that the lubricant doesn't stink of glycol when cold air is blowing across it. Not having this smell in the summer but having it in the winter is a dead giveaway that the problem is the HVAC box lubricant.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The hot plastic smell will dissipate over the next month or so. The best way to deal with the insulation may be an exacto knife, but since they will have to open her up again to find the rattle it should get done then. I'm not sure how they could have put the cubby in backwards - mine will only fit in one direction.
Well, now that I've driven it over the weekend and the deodorant they used and the detailing product they wiped down the interior with has dissipated I find that the smell is still there, though slightly weaker. I'm thinking that I might fill out that JD Power service dept survey afterall. I took their dollar that was intended to guilt me into doing it, I guess, and didn't want to spend the time. I'm thinking otherwise now.

61 - 80 of 441 Posts