1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
25,100 Posts
Voted Yes. While I probably won't purchase one I can see where a coupe version would attract younger buyers who don't want the daddy/mommy look of a sedan.

·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,233 Posts
Voted in the GM Authority poll yesterday and, at that time, the overwhelming majority of participants, 88% IIRC, had pulled the YES lever. Kind of what I expected given it's a younger enthusiast crowd.

Above said, and I'd like GM to prove me wrong, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in a hot place that they'll build a coupe. I really do not. I believe it's more likely we'll see a hatch and, IMO, even a wagon stands a better chance of appearing than a coupe, but one can always hope.

·
Administrator
25,100 Posts
My wife's Solara is a coupe - the longer doors of a coupe drive me nuts, especially in narrow parking spots.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,575 Posts
My wife's Solara is a coupe - the longer doors of a coupe drive me nuts, especially in narrow parking spots.
Exactly.

I grew up climbing in/out the back seat of one. Several friends in college had Civic/Integra coupes as well, and same story then. Bleh.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
I owned a Holden Gemini Coup years ago and didn't think much about it as anything more than a sedan with no back doors. It was a fun little RWD drive car though. The picture is just a random car, mine was purple but looked like this one. Engine was 1.6 OHC. It weighed 720kg (1587lbs). It had 84HP.

View attachment 153778

·
1,233 Posts
I owned a Holden Gemini Coup years ago and didn't think much about it as anything more than a sedan with no back doors. It was a fun little RWD drive car though. The picture is just a random car, mine was purple but looked like this one. Engine was 1.6 OHC. It weighed 720kg (1587lbs). It had 84HP.

View attachment 153778
Smaller coupes work for me. VW Polo, Golf, Opel Kadett, first-gen Chrysler Neons and older Honda Civics before they grew in size are a few examples. It seems once a car's wheelbase stretches much beyond 95-99 inches the vehicle becomes more midsize than a true compact and the doors morph into long and heavy unwieldy things.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
I Love coupes .......... 2 seat car for me ... hey j do ya like the corvette ?

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
They don't make them in RHD and you have to get a 30 year old one if you don't want to spend a small fortune converting it.

We do have a Corvette engined Ute with 590HP and that has 2 seats.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
They don't make them in RHD and you have to get a 30 year old one if you don't want to spend a small fortune converting it.

We do have a Corvette engined Ute with 590HP and that has 2 seats.
Are you aware that GM N/A has plans and I do think has built 2 vehichles that I certainly would have considered purchasing this year if they would have manufactured either 1 of ?

I do not recall what the actual implied names were , but since I do enjoy a 2 door for a DD either 1 would be high on my list of choices to consider owning ............

I did consider a camarro . I am happy with this Mustang !

·
1,233 Posts
Smaller coupes work for me. VW Polo, Golf, Opel Kadett, first-gen Chrysler Neons and older Honda Civics before they grew in size are a few examples. It seems once a car's wheelbase stretches much beyond 95-99 inches the vehicle becomes more midsize than a true compact and the doors morph into long and heavy unwieldy things.
brian,
Camaros and Mustangs are horses of a different color, goes without saying. Corvettes, too. Last thing I'd wish for is a 4-door 'Stang. Chevrolet's Code 130R works for me, too.

click image to enlarge

See: 2012 Chevrolet Code 130R Concept Car Images

·
1,233 Posts
Are you aware that GM N/A has plans and I do think has built 2 vehichles that I certainly would have considered purchasing this year if they would have manufactured either 1 of ?

I do not recall what the actual implied names were , but since I do enjoy a 2 door for a DD either 1 would be high on my list of choices to consider owning ............
I believe you're recalling the 2012 Code 130R and Tru 140S concept cars. Both lovely, make mine the 130R.

I did consider a camarro . I am happy with this Mustang !
Darn right happy with an EcoBoost Mustang ... poetry in motion. :)

click image to enlarge

See: 4-door Ford Mustang sedan rendered | Diseno-art

·
Registered
379 Posts
Based on the Cavalier and Cobalt, if you want a Cruze manual coupe it will only be availiable in "L" 1.8 packages (with a very small number of LT2s available in colors like bright yellow)

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
I believe you're recalling the 2012 Code 130R and Tru 140S concept cars. Both lovely, make mine the 130R.

Darn right happy with an EcoBoost Mustang ... poetry in motion. :)

click image to enlarge

See: 4-door Ford Mustang sedan rendered | Diseno-art
That is correct Sir .
I am brushing up on the articles of both those concept cars by GM . Road and Track April 2012 ..

Since my days in California are over . I have found myself being the only passenger in a vehichle . So I asked myself why do I have this 4 door cruzen when the only passenger is mua !
This allowed me to expand upon my own life and create new choices .. let the research begin ..

·
1,233 Posts
Hmm, Let Me Rethink This

Dang if Automotive Artiste Extraordinaire Mr Theophilus Chin didn't come with a fantastic-looker of a Cruze Coupe. Even fixed the C-pillar mess. So here's the deal Gents: I've changed my mind, make my next Cruze a Coupé.

click any image to enlarge and open in new window

Source: Theophilus Chin | Chevrolet Cruze Coupe

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,575 Posts
As much as I'd like to have a fun little car, at this point in my life a 2 seater would be totally and completely impractical. I'm actually thinking of a small truck for my next vehicle.

I wouldn't mind a 60s Mustang for the garage I'd someday like to have. Anything newer - no thank you.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Anything newer - no thank you.
I'm actually the exact opposite. I used to be into the old cars, but modern performance just blows them away. When a new V6 Accord can blow away just about everything pre-90s, I would rather get something new from this age of performance we are living in than invest in something older that could never hope of keeping up.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Coupes are fine so long as they only seat two people. Had a 1995 Blazer SUV a while back with two doors that seated four, got rid of it for the lack of access to the back. My brother drives a Cobalt 2 door, with both doors open it looks like Dumbo.

Dumbo-walt-disney-characters-19464379-1280-768.jpg

Four door wagons are perfect for me, now that I care more about utility than looks now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts