Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else been annoyed with the location of the Speedometer? I have been driving for 40 sum years and have never had a car that my arm covered the speedometer when driving . My arm and hand on the wheel covers the speedometer.(left handed) Too in bread of a habit to break, so I've memorized the tach numbers that correspond to the speeds I normally drive, or have to move my hand to see the speed. I have also on many occasions, tried to restart my car when I've stopped looking at the 0 on the speedometer, thinking its I've stalled it. The digital speed readout might work for some, but my brain doesn't process digital as fast as analog.

The fan and heat switch are also backwards to me.

Can't GM keep this stuff in the same order?

At least its not as bad as my Cobalt with the light switch on the left turn signal switch where the wiper switch is on my Chevy truck. Tons of times I would turn off the lights at night trying to mist the wipers. Or even worse the Ford Fairmont with the horn switch on the turn signals.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
when you say lights do you mean all the lights or high beams? and yeah i thnk the controls are a bit backwards but it has the same layout (in the dash) that my 03 malibu had .

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I hadn't even noticed but you're right. The speedometer and tach are reversed in the Cruze. Like you I much prefer the analog speedometer. It's also harder for a cop looking over your shoulder to read the analog speedometer than a digital speedometer although I frequently have my car in metric to monitor DFCO in my car which puts KPH on the digital display. I've had other cars with the fan and heat switches in all sorts of strange layouts. I even remember the fan and heat sliders. If you think the instrument cluster in the Cruze is strange, test drive a Sonic hatch. GM modeled the instrument cluster there on motorcycle clusters.

Pushing on the light stem to turn on the high beams threw me for a loop for about a week. I was at an Porsche club sponsored autocross once where a local dealership was letting people drive the then new 928 through the course. It sounded like a flock of geese because everyone was hitting the horn by accident.

My wife's Toyota Solara has the cruise control on a stem behind the steering wheel. This by itself isn't a problem. The problem is the stem is connected to the part of the wheel that turns so every time you turn the wheel it changes position and I can never find it on a mountain road. The on-wheel controls in the Cruze are at least visible to the driver, but I have changed the radio a few times during sharper turns because the wheel was upside down and I was trying to disengage the Cruze control without using the brake and/or clutch pedal switches.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
I sold a 1999 Commodore, have a 2003 Hyuandi Getz and a 2012 Holden Cruze and they all have tacho left and speedo right. I know that other cars I have owned that had no tacho had the speedo in the middle. I don't recall driving any car with speedo on left. The side of the road we drive on makes no difference to this issue.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I think it's because GM/Chevy forgot to switch everything back before they decided to bring the Australian Holden Cruze (where they drive on the left side of the road) to America, (where we drive on the right side of the road).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually the main light switch on the Cobalt was mounted on the left turn signal. (Not on the Dash) If you turn that knob counter clockwise, it shut off all the light.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After thinking about your right, I've had other cars with the same tach /speed setup, but none with my arm on the steering wheel cover the speedometer.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
I've had tachs on either side of the car; really don't bother me.

The Cruze's speedo is very difficult to tell what you're actually going, so much so that I just ignore it. I leave it up on the DIC view with miles to empty, miles on the car, and instant MPG.

The needle needs to be longer or the marks more distinct or something. I've never had a problem reading speed off most others.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
I think it's because GM/Chevy forgot to switch everything back before they decided to bring the Australian Holden Cruze (where they drive on the left side of the road) to America, (where we drive on the right side of the road).
Actually the Australian Cruze was only made here in series II form before that it was imported from Korea. The Hatchback was designed here and the wagon is a full import.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Doubt if I would have even purchased a Cruze if it wasn't for the DIC speedometer, in particular with all these Homeland Security running around with nothing else to do but to issue speeding tickets.

In terms of component placement, look into general aviation, far more customized. Good to sit in the cockpit for a good hour before starting the engine and really working your brain learning where the fuel valve are, trim controls, how to operate the variations in navigational control, mixture controls, prop pitch, all those switches. No time to do that when flying.

Since I don't drive my Supra that often, really have to study that windshield wiper switch, on one stick has both front and rear wipers, variable delay, and three controls for washing the front, rear, and even the head lamps.

On a long boring drive, find myself inadvertently resetting the DIC rather than the cruise control after driving GM vehicles with cruise for over 40 years. Least the brakes are where you expect them to be.

From all the vehicles I have owned, the Cruze had the longest learning curve of anyone of them. And why does my cell phone ring when making a corner. Feel obligated to answer it right away, but the steering wheel is upsidedown, so end up hitting the cruise button instead! Still need more training.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My firebird has the tach on the left, but I'll admit it took some getting use to the gap between the tach and speedo.

My biggest issue is the cruise control on the left and radio controls on the right. If you drive stick, it's no big deal to take your hand off the shifter to set the cruise as you're done shifting at that point. The radio controls on the right is no help, as its the same distance to reach the actual radio! If they were on the left, I could adjust the radio, shift gears, eat my Big Mac, text, and shave at the same time!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
No issue here. Have a Holden based GTO. Has some reversed controls. Radio volume control on passenger side. More annoyed with my wife's Honda has reversered steering wheel controls from Cruze for cruise and audio

·
Registered
36 Posts
The only thing that still throws me is the fan and heat controls. I still crank the heat when I want to change the blower speed.

Still wish there was a radio 'seek' button on the steering wheel controls instead of the button that moves through the favorites.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
It doesn't bother me. I almost never look at the analog speedometer, though.

Reactions: CW_

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I keep my ECO's DIC on Trip1 to monitor tank fuel efficiency so I'm always using the analog speedometer. I interpret needle sweep faster than digital readouts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sold a 1999 Commodore, have a 2003 Hyuandi Getz and a 2012 Holden Cruze and they all have tacho left and speedo right. I know that other cars I have owned that had no tacho had the speedo in the middle. I don't recall driving any car with speedo on left. The side of the road we drive on makes no difference to this issue.
Try driving a Colorado or Colorado 7 the speedo is on the left the tacho on the right, confused the crap out of me everytime I drove during the week i had each of them.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Try driving a Colorado or Colorado 7 the speedo is on the left the tacho on the right, confused the crap out of me everytime I drove during the week i had each of them.
My diesel is auto so the tacho is not really essential just nice to have. The DIC speedo varies too quickley at low speed and cruise control takes care of high speed, so I set my DIC to show engine temp which to me is more important. This is not for overheating but if the thermostat gets stuck the engine often doesn't warm up properly and this I need to know.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
There is a reason behind the design. What it is, I have no idea but they spend plenty of time and money on UX (user experience) so I'm sure it wasn't just, "Hey, Joe! Where should we put all these gadgets and dodads?"

The average driver won't even know what the tach does. The placement of the speedo no doubt has to do with your eyes and general vision. If your hands/arms are covering the dash, maybe you should try adjusting the wheel, your seat or sitting correctly. I'm 6'2", 250lbs and I have no problem seeing the dash when sitting up or slouching. Only thing I have to adjust is my rear view mirror.

·
Resident Derp
2,806 Posts
I honestly don't see how you drive comfortably with your left arm covering the speedo, which is located on the right of the HUD. Also, if your hand is all the way over to the right, I don't see how your arm isn't also blocking the digital speedo as well.

As for the layout, there's only so many ways you can have a gauge lay out and other than my first car, every car I've ever driven has had the same set up, although one didn't have a little digital screen separating the two. If you want a hard to read speedo however, try driving a Mini Cooper S. The gauge is small-ish to begin with and the steering wheel is so small that it blocks off the top third of the speedo.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
What? A minis speedo is huge and not behind the steering wheel. The tach is kinda small, but you can hear the engine pretty well telling you when to shift.

The hardest to see one I've driven was a New Beetle. The old one wasn't so great either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 30 Posts