Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
14 Cruze TD. Hit 100k miles and decided i was sick and tired of taking the car back in to dealer for emissions related check engine lights. So i removed my dpf and egr, tuned the car with race tune from oz tuner. then i still didnt like the exhaust note, so i deleted the scr as well. overall performance is very good. its literally like a different car. the low rpm (1000 - 2100) remains about the same, but 2100rpm + has so much more power. i used to prefer manual slap shift when trying to get the most out of the car, but now i just leave it in drive and it takes off. if you pull out and just ease a little more than 1/4 throttle you are likely to chirp the tires. granted, its no race car, but that torque is unbelievable and its extremely fun to drive.

so here are some of the questions i had before i did my mod, to which i could find no answers at the time. also some info i think could be useful after my first 1500 miles with tune.

1. Does the Race tune get rid of the 124 MPH speed governor. - NO, it does not

2. Does the fuel economy get better? -NO, at least not for me. It could be just the winter fuel, but i have had SUBSTANTIAL loss of fuel economy. im lucky to average 35mph on highway at 55 mph cruise control. 25 mpg on country roads.

3. Do you have to physically remove the egr from the vehicle and install backing plate, or can you just unplug it. -I just unplugged mine, and with the tune, had no issues with drivability or cel.

4. Does the mod+tune get rid of the lag coming from a stop? - YES!! i hated that stupid huge lag that my cruze td had, come to a stop sign and hit the throttle and 2 seconds later you start moving. With this tune, there is barely any lag at all. you hit that throttle, youre moving.

5. Does the tune change any of the transmissions programming? - I believe it does, i have noticed a fair difference in the way the trans shits and behaves at times. All for the better, IMO. Also i do not have the delay/slamming into gear issue ive stated in previous threads.

Other Thoughts:

Forewarning...After the tune and complete straight pipe, this car puts off a hefty diesel exhaust smell. some people may not enjoy it, but i do!

The car seems to have its good and bad days. I dont quite understand it yet, but sometimes i get on the throttle and that car just GOES. Other times i get on the throttle and it still goes, but feels slightly hindered from what it did earlier that day. then later on itll be right back on track. nothing that is concerning to me as an 'issue,' just seems like it has its days.

The cars exhaust note sounds awesome, IMO. Its no where close to being "ridiculously loud," i feel its the perfect level. Its loud enough to make gear heads turn to see what's passing by, but not loud enough that you're "that guy" starting your car and driving thru the neighborhood at night.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post them below. Id love to help with whatever i can. I made some videos of the delete and install as well as some driving and 0-80 videos. Check em out!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOUWpK7l01U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybsxR7r18sI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrmeJ-dXXgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKm4t4eP8eo&t=50s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X8ym9kXqDs&t=840s

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks for the videos, there’s not many deleted sound clips/acceleration runs out there.

As far as the mileage, most people that do the delete report a drastic increase in mileage. Like easily 60+mpg averages on the highway. The fact that it never does a regen will save a huge amount of fuel. I would chalk it up to the fact that it’s winter and winter fuel affects fuel economy. You should be getting waaaay more than 35mpg on the highway in a deleted diesel.

·
Registered
191 Posts
There’s a bump in mpg, but not huge. The big mpg numbers come more from how and where you drive than from the delete.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on mpg...... i must have had a bad batch of fuel or something. because now i get 40-55 mpg average. and ive never been the type thats 'light on the throttle'

·
Registered
191 Posts
When you put the new tune in it the first thing is to copy the stock tune and pull it out. All the sensors are used in the new down pipe so in theory everything should go back into its original location in the old hardware and work with the reloaded stock tune.

Personally I wouldn't want to drive a car that that had been done to considering how difficult they can be when everything is stock that seems like you're really asking for trouble.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do these tunes come with a DEF delete also? I never see it mentioned at all. It was always part of the tuning when I did my Duramax.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does the delete tune turn off the two sensors in the rear of the exhaust? Mine is on jackstands still from the delete and I decided to do a 3" from where the SCR used to be, back. So no room for the sensors back there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It ignores what the sensors are saying, but I don’t know if the computer checks to see if they are there or not. Don’t tear them up incase you need to have them plugged in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I probably drove it around 60-70 miles after the delete today and no lights came on, incredible difference in how the car reacts as well. Just waiting for the weather to get a little warmer so I can roll around with the windows down and hear that 3"! ��

·
Registered
3 Posts
Installed the delete kit about 12k miles ago. Overall I have not been impressed in the slightest. I ran a Trifecta tune with emission equipment intact and it ran perfect, ton of power and a slight mpg improvement over stock. I switch to the Fleece tune so I could ditch the emission crap. After the delete kit was installed I ended up with a rough running car once the engine warms up. Also, engine is rough on shut down, guessing because of the throttle valve being disconnected. My mpg dropped by 2-4mpg, it's now worse than stock or with the Trifecta tune. Power is less than Trifecta, I would say very close to stock performance. No CEL or any other clue to what might be the issue. Reinstalled all emission equipment and car runs great with both the stock tune and the Trifecta tune.

I have contacted Fleece and they offered to check it out, but I have asked for a appointment for over 2 months and have yet to hear back.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Installed the delete kit about 12k miles ago. Overall I have not been impressed in the slightest. I ran a Trifecta tune with emission equipment intact and it ran perfect, ton of power and a slight mpg improvement over stock. I switch to the Fleece tune so I could ditch the emission crap. After the delete kit was installed I ended up with a rough running car once the engine warms up. Also, engine is rough on shut down, guessing because of the throttle valve being disconnected. My mpg dropped by 2-4mpg, it's now worse than stock or with the Trifecta tune. Power is less than Trifecta, I would say very close to stock performance. No CEL or any other clue to what might be the issue. Reinstalled all emission equipment and car runs great with both the stock tune and the Trifecta tune.

I have contacted Fleece and they offered to check it out, but I have asked for a appointment for over 2 months and have yet to hear back.

Yeah something was wrong. Nothing of what you described applies to anyone else with the tune.

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
Yeah something was wrong. Nothing of what you described applies to anyone else with the tune.
I saw another instance (I think it was a different member) that had similar (though not nearly as detrimental) results (no driving issues, but no gain in fuel economy).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Got a pic of the SCR delete you did? I'm planning on running a true straight pipe soon.

+1 on the nasty winter diesel: I drove from St. Paul to Houston recently, and after filling up near the gulf coast, I was getting a solid 10 MPG more per tank vs when I had filled up in the northern states.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I probably drove it around 60-70 miles after the delete today and no lights came on, incredible difference in how the car reacts as well. Just waiting for the weather to get a little warmer so I can roll around with the windows down and hear that 3"! ��
Did you simply just tape/hang the rear sensors up out of the way? Have/had the same question as to whether a CEL would pop up if any of the sensors aren't re-installed.
Impatiently waiting for my kit to arrive.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts