Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. This will be the basic steps for changing your own oil on the CTD. It's not really necessary to photograph everything, but I showed pictures of what I thought would be relevant. OK, so here goes. This is my first ever DIY so hopefully it is of some benefit to somebody.

1. Make sure you get an oil that meets proper specifications for this engine. Basically it's a 5W30 that meets DEXOS2 certification.
2. Filters can be a bit pricey at the dealer, but I found some genuine GM filters on Ebay for much cheaper.
3. Roll the car up on ramps, but just enough to be able to get under the car. If you go too high up, the filter is more likely to make a mess when it comes out.
4. Open the oil fill to create an air vent.
5. Place pan pretty much directly under the drain plug, the oil will not shoot out. Drain plug is 13mm. The drain plug has holes in it and you don't even have to take it all the way out. NOTE: The drain plug is NOT in the front of the car. I didn't pay attention and ended up unscrewing the one in front but it's an engine mounting bolt or something. You want the one that's on the oil pan on the the rear (same side as rear of the car). No need to remove any of the under body panels.
6. REMOVED step 6 - Not necessary to remove the top engine cover.
7. Get a wrench with a 32mm socket. The filter is on the rear left side of the engine as you are facing the front of the car. I show the socket on the wrench and the position of the socket on the oil filter cap for reference below.

Auto part Vehicle Car Brake

Auto part Engine Fuel line

8. Unscrew the oil filter cap. Note that below it is a tray to catch the spilled oil and direct it to your pan. This didn't exactly work for me and I got some on my driveway, I think maybe because I unscrewed it too quickly. Maybe someone else can improve upon this.
9. Remove the cap from the engine and you will see the filter is snapped in. Snap the filter out.
10. Gently pry out the big o-ring from the filter cap and replace it with the new one that comes with the new filter. I used a little screwdriver to pry it up.
11. Snap in the new filter and screw it back into the housing. I just tightened until it stopped turning freely and then snugged it up slightly more.
12. Screw in and snug up the drain plug.
13. Add 4.5 quarts of your favorite oil that meets the specs.
14. Snap the cover back on, start 'er up and check for leaks.
15 Reset the oil monitor. I went to the last possible minute on mine, but I drive a lot.
16. Check the oil level after the change and after the first drive. It calls for 4.75 quarts, but I have been finding that 4.75 quarts has led to it being slightly overfilled, hence the revised recommendation for 4.5 above.
Speedometer Odometer Auto part Gauge Car

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mods, Not sure if this is sticky-worthy but thought I would throw the idea out there

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ehh I am going to have a hard decision when it comes time to change my oil. I have never had a new car so I have always done the stuff myself and I am not sure if I trust the dealer.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I did my first oil change today with 3646mi on the clock. Put in Motul X-clean 5w-40 Dexos2 Approved oil in. The oil filter is a royal pain in the ass no matter how you slice it. Thanks to this write up I was prepared with what I'd face. An 1 1/4 socket fit the oil filter canister perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
7,812 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Step 16 - Fill DEF tank in rear :D
LOL Yeah, and be very careful when you do so. Those 2.5 gallon bottles can make a royal MESS if you overfill.

Reactions: pacolino

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use Ardeca fully synthetic oil, nice write up. You should also drain the water from the fuel filter with every oil change. You need to remove the black cover, just open it long enough for the water to drain and you see fuel, don't go crazy long because it's just going to continue to drain fuel once the water has drained, a good guess is 10 seconds should be way long enough but it depends on the quality of the fuel or the station you purchase fuel from, if you have lots of water you might want to change stations, fuel quality is very important for us diesel owners. Cycle the key on/off a few times to let the fuel pump run before you try to start it. Air + Diesel lines = Headache

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use Ardeca fully synthetic oil, nice write up. You should also drain the water from the fuel filter with every oil change. You need to remove the black cover, just open it long enough for the water to drain and you see fuel, don't go crazy long because it's just going to continue to drain fuel once the water has drained, a good guess is 10 seconds should be way long enough but it depends on the quality of the fuel or the station you purchase fuel from, if you have lots of water you might want to change stations, fuel quality is very important for us diesel owners. Cycle the key on/off a few times to let the fuel pump run before you try to start it. Air + Diesel lines = Headache
Thanks for the info and the pictures - where do you get Ardeca oil? Also, this is the first really good shot of the fuel filter I have seen - what do you do with the line going right into the center? Do you have to remove it, or does it stay connected to the black cap (for lack of a better term)? Does the water come out where the cap seals or out the bottom?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nothing fancy, the bottom of filter has a drain plug with a hole in the center, loosen it up a until water runs out. It's like opening the petcock on the bottom of a radiator, no need to remove it all the way. The shield is the only thing that takes any time at all, without that in the way you could be done in 10 seconds. Any water in the fuel will be trapped by the filter and settle to the bottom of the housing, that's what you drain out, the rest is fuel draining out so watch for a color change. I had a little water after 10k but taking the picture with the valve open by this point its all fuel. I ordered the oil from performance lubricants on amazon and picked up the oil filter and urea from the dealer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great instructions. Just wanted to point out for others that I used a 13mm socket for the drain plug and to look for the filter drain trough because a decent amount of oil will spill. My oil pan wasn't located in the correct position to catch all the oil after removing the filter and resulted in quite a mess. Also if you're looking for the filter and oil, purchase it from IDParts.com and they now support cruze diesels.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hello everyone, I wanted to make a contribution from Italy.
Even I do the maintenance on my cruze, use oil Castrol 5w40 dpf, and goes very well.
draws oil like I used "mario"
I hope it was helpful.
hello
http://i56.servimg.com/u/f56/14/10/39/69/downlo11.jpg http://i56.servimg.com/u/f56/14/10/39/69/81010.jpg http://i56.servimg.com/u/f56/14/10/39/69/m76btr10.jpg
Thanks for the info. Whats ur mileage right now. Gonna check out mario, be handy for other things too. U use it to cleap up or drain all the oil on ur car?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello, regarding the KM are 67000, do the maintenance every 20000 KM.
Definitely not how to remove the "cap" from the oil pan, something is always ...
If you must, you should use it with a warm engine, so the oil because it is more "liquid".
"Mario" you can use it for all liquids, except that flammable (NO petrol)

We'll link a video for "youtube".
Hello

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually, the edit button is gone, I will need a mod's help to make the correction.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.