Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, As of now I am finding myself in a bit of a spot I turn in the last of my Tdis next week and will be in the market for another diesel. So far between my 09 and my 11 I've had about 300,000 miles with maybe 2000$ worth of repairs and have absolutely loved everything about their drive trains. (11 didn't even see a check engine light until 180k miles) With that said I have driven the Cruze (gas) as a rental car for a few thousand miles over the years since it first came out and aside from the lack of power from the base gas engine the cars seem nice. I am currently looking at purchasing a 14 Cruze diesel but the reviews I've seen say they aren't very reliable. Now I do understand that more people who have issues are going to say something vrs the people who don't have any which is why I am here. I drive 40k+ per year on average and need whatever I get to be very reliable. I would prefer a lower mileage Cruze but if I am just going to have issue after issue I will get a bit older vw. So how reliable are these cars? Parts pricey or hard to find? Cold weather starting? Whatever information y'all could give me would be great

Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,040 Posts
They are plenty reliable - it's luck of the draw regarding the emissions system (as it's really a first-gen system), but beyond that, they're pretty solid. Most of the updated emissions system parts do not seem to fail (DEF reservoir being a big one).

It's not like a VW diesel is a pinnacle of reliability anyway - far from it.

They have tons of torque (ours put down about 270 lb-ft at the wheels, stock) which makes them fun to drive, and they don't have an issue starting in the cold (though a lot of that is dependent on your fuel source).

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Former 09 TDI owner, back in March found a Craigslist-ing for a clean, private-party 14 Cruze Turbo Diesel (CTD) w/ 63K miles. Flew to Texas and drove 1200 miles back to AZ. It was worth it. Several CTDs I saw at dealerships either had questionable histories or were obviously rode hard and put away wet.

After 7,000 miles I'm SUPER happy. And I say this despite having a water pump failure (covered under warranty) the day after I returned from TX. This turned out to be an anomaly with the CTD, most issues with this car tend to be with emissions. I drive a lot of highway and it seems this car really thrives there. City driving, stop n go...not so much.

Better highway mileage than the TDI (around town is worse) and larger fuel tank (up to 18 gallons) Had a 1,000 mile tank and commonly get 800 to 900 mile tanks, topping to the filler neck and driving conservatively. With the TDI, I was getting 45 mpg. The CTD is doing 49-50 mpg, same roads and driving conditions.

Taller wheels (17" vs 16"), rear view camera, integrated iPhone connectivity, more dealerships closer to home and everywhere. Easier to service...I NEVER serviced my TDI but using info on this forum, I've done oil and trans fluid changes on the CTD myself. Plus the CTD just looks better IMO.

Be aware the CTD does NOT have a spare. The circular 4.5 gal DEF tank resides under the trunk floor where the spare would normally be. Just has a kit with a 12v inflator and fix-a-flat. I got a donut spare and jack to keep in the trunk as insurance (see thread http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-g...cussion/161002-verano-doughnut-spare-ctd.html)

Again, all this applies to the Gen 1 (14-15) CTD. Check out the Gen 2 area of CruzeTalk for opinions on the new gen CTD.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, buy the Gen 1 Cruze diesel. You will be happy. You will be happier if you contact Oz Tuner and get the dpf delete pipe and delete tune. It eliminates the pesky emissions problems and rewards you with 55+ mpg. Take out the def tank and put a Verano spare in its place. More power and torque than a TDI and better mpg too.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
So after getting checks last year from VW and Bosch, today I received yet another check. This one for $968 resulted from a settlement between State of Arizona vs Volkswagen.

That car (09 TDI Jetta) turned out to be the gift that keeps on giving.

After 35K miles I’m still super happy with the 1st Gen Cruze Diesel. If you’re a TDI owner considering the switch, go for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts