Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The amount of emissions system problems makes it worse than VW really. There appears to be a engineering issue that can't be fixed by technicians at the dealer level.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I'm reading your posts.....but you have not had a problem with your car.......and, the odds are, you won't.

Try to remember that the two types of posters are those that are having a concern, or those who are very pleased and want to learn as much as possible to remain so.

Because of this, it is easy, when reading posts about failures, to believe 'They all do that'......forgetting about the thousands of like vehicles that have had no problems.

And, if I may, What is it you think should be recalled.......the whole car, or a component?

Rob

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
The amount of emissions system problems makes it worse than VW really. There appears to be a engineering issue that can't be fixed by technicians at the dealer level.
I reject your sweeping statements. So does the EPA.

I haven't a problem with mine. Just one sensor replaced at no charge and that was it. 45,000 miles and going strong.

On what grounds do you found your assertions?

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
A recall is typically for a specific part that isn't functioning as intended and is a safety risk. I received a recall notice recently for an O2 sensor replacement. They'll replace it and reprogram the ECM when the part is available. Although there have been a wide range of emissions problems reported, they aren't affecting enough cars to issue a general recall for the entire emissions system.

What year is your Diesel? How many miles? If there's anything wrong with it then it's likely still under warranty and they'll get it fixed for you. If you're having trouble with a specific dealer then contact Chevy Customer Support here on the forum. They can help clear up the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
You obviously don't fully understand what VW did, they made there cars when tested appear to meet the emissions standards when in test mode. Regular driving like we do they were emitting up to 40 times the pollution in test mode so they designed a TDI to cheat and we all suffer because of it. This is very serious and against the law in United States.

gm made a car that meets the standards and is having some issues with emissions on some cars. Some of the issues are related to dealers not putting in correct oil, correct amount of oil, and in some cases lack of training to properly determine issues with the cars, part of that is the CTD is a low volume car and some dealers may only service one or two ctds. So your premise and statement is just without any merit.

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
I just checked the OP's prior posts. He bought a 2014 CTD a few months ago with 22,000 miles on it and a check engine light on.

Emotion over logic - a phrase he's used more than once to describe himself. On that I tend to agree with. His posts speak for themselves.

One thing l'm curious about is did the OP exercise his due diligence and speak to the prior owner(s) to find out why they dumped a car after a year? Like was it lemon lawed or a factory buy back?

My mother used to always say that people don't get rid of good cars.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I just checked the OP's prior posts. He bought a 2014 CTD a few months ago with 22,000 miles on it and a check engine light on.

Emotion over logic - a phrase he's used more than once to describe himself. On that I tend to agree with. His posts speak for themselves.

One thing l'm curious about is did the OP exercise his due diligence and speak to the prior owner(s) to find out why they dumped a car after a year? Like was it lemon lawed or a factory buy back?

My mother used to always say that people don't get rid of good cars.
as I recall the OP was fixing stuff on his car that was really a warranty item, thought he knew more than his dealer, which could be possible but not likely. I wouldn't buy a CTD with a CEL on personally.

as for your mother, that's a great statement but probably doesn't apply to me. I trade cars sometimes too often for something to do. I love my CTD my only issue is the seats are not as comfy as I would prefer. My 20 year old f150 seat is more comfortable. Oh I digress. :grin:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its a 2014 Cruze Diesel. I bought it used a month ago with a check engine light on at purchase. Vehicle has had a history of repairs done the previous owner likely got rid of it because it was in the shop every few thousand miles. The car has 23,000 miles on it now. I know that over the corse of ownership the car will be in the shop a lot. Not due to wear and tear, but enginering issues. I bought it figuring I can fix it for good, I might be wrong about that, we will see. I am a dealer tech after all. I do know in the corse of a month the car has had multiple DTC'S the exhaust temperature codes appear to be gone now. Now a NOX sensor 1 code shows up, NOX sensor 2 was repalced 10,000 miles ago. The car has less than 30,000 miles on it and has been at the dealer for exhaust aftertreatment issues every few thousand miles since new. (as reported by carfax) Maybe this perticular car is a bad egg? More than likely the car was not properly sorted before bing sold.
GM has a history of that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the car over all but its going to be at the dealer a lot. Cars should not have so many issues with so low of miles and age.

·
Administrator
25,604 Posts
Tomko,

Mom never met me.......I have a very long history of selling/trading problem free cars.

ie: See my post in the Cruze birthday thread.

Rob
And from your posts about your fleet I'd hazard to guess that the only reason you're trading perfectly good cars is you don't have Jay Leno's hanger space. :)

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I like the car over all but its going to be at the dealer a lot. Cars should not have so many issues with so low of miles and age.
Some cars do have chronic issues just like humans. My guess and only a guess is the car wasn't properly serviced, wrong type of oil, too much oil, etc and techs that may not be properly trained. Only speculation on my part. I watch the dealer service my car so I know I get the correct oil and amount. Hope you get your issues sorted out.

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
I'm guessing the original owner shares this point of view.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
42 Posts
The 2014 CTD that I bought last October 2015 was a GM Buyback due to very strong California Lemon Law after two failed attempts at repairing life-threatening defects. It was only an O2 sensor issue. It was fixed and tested for 200 miles without an issue. Of course the price went down to only 15,600 dollars with only 23K and now logged over 33K without a problem until I took it to a one man shop to replace transmission fluid to AMSOIL. He lifted my car to do the work but found there is a very small leak coming out of transmission o-ring seal where driver side axle goes in. So the process is on hold until it is fixed. I took it to dealership cuz it is under warranty. So I got a rental car from Enterprise, due to warranty policy, it has to be a CHEVY rental cars so I happened to rent a 2016 gas Cruze that comes with Eco’s 1.4L turbo. Comparison of Cruzes, is that the diesel-powered CTD is the more satisfying drive. This comes as a bit of a surprise: While it was easy to envisage that the CTD’s little oil burner would be livelier than the base LS’s thoroughly pedestrian 138-horsepower 1.8L four, that it has more get up and go — substantially, even — than the turbocharged Eco engine is surprising. The Eco’s 1.4-litre turbo — also with 138-hp but with more torque, 148 pound-feet versus 125 — has deservedly garnered praise as much for its comportment as its frugality. Nonetheless, it was immediately apparent that the CTD’s 2.0L high-pressure turbodiesel’s 151 horsepower and the claimed 264 lb.-ft. (280 lb.-ft. for short bursts) of torque provided more urge than either of the Cruze’s other engines. It’s more than a little odd to think of the diesel as the sportiest engine in a lineup so my result is that CTD proves to be the superior ride in the lineup!

Reactions: obermd and grs1961

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
Its a 2014 Cruze Diesel. I bought it used a month ago with a check engine light on at purchase. Vehicle has had a history of repairs done the previous owner likely got rid of it because it was in the shop every few thousand miles.
So you bought a car with a history of problems, and it's GM's fault.

Neat.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
I have a CTD I bought new in 2012, 161hp and 266f/lbs torque and I have never been let down by it. There was a minor transmission leak at the only warranty work. The surge tank was replaced as a recall, but never gave me any problems before it was replaced. My daughter also has a 2015 1.6T Cruze hatchback with 177hp and a manual transmission and it is a far cry from the 1.4T it replaced.

·
Registered
791 Posts
can`t compare VW to the cruze. if VW had played by the rules they would also of had the DEF system in witch case they may of had possibly the same issues. if GM had cheated the same as VW then you could compare the two.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These problems are not uncommon for the US Cruze Diesel. GM has a history of releasing vehicles half baked. Not trying to hurt any ones feelings... That is the truth.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
These problems are not uncommon for the US Cruze Diesel. GM has a history of releasing vehicles half baked. Not trying to hurt any ones feelings... That is the truth.
Why did you buy a GM car if your thoughts are true to you? I won't let you swipe at GM when you bought a Cruze with a CEL on and had chronic problems, you had no idea what they were or even requested the dealer fix the CEL prior to purchase. Then because you were excited at first while CTD is under warranty you start replacing sensors because of I don't know why and then you don't fix your cars issues and then you want to swipe at GM and have the view your car is worse than VW fiasco that effects close to 600k cars in US and millions of cars across the globe I respectfully don't find your views to have legit merit. I would be frustrated if I had emissions issues as well but to get on here and rant and rave about GM doesn't help your cause in my view. Please take your car to a Chevrolet dealer and get the darn thing fixed while under warranty. I am just one Cruze owner that loves his car and getting frustrated over your statements that make so little sense.

·
Registered
747 Posts
can`t compare VW to the cruze. if VW had played by the rules they would also of had the DEF system in witch case they may of had possibly the same issues. if GM had cheated the same as VW then you could compare the two.
Even without playing by the rules VW has had its fair share of issues with the TDI, many of them emissions related. Frequent regens, DPFs that fail or need to be replaced at 120,000 miles, cylinder wash and fuel dilution, no to mention fuel pumps that threaten to destroy your entire fuel system at the cost of nearly if not five figures...

In fact, nearly ALL diesels (Ram, Ford, GM, VW, BMW, Jeep, etc,) have had teething issues with newer diesel emissions systems. They are very complex systems.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts