Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In anticipation of taking deliver of my 2014 cruze diesel, ive been looking for snow wheels and tires for our northeast winters.

I read on this board that the diesel has different sized calipers and wheels than the regular cruze.

When i punch in the vehicle to tirerack, it gives me these rims that supposedly fit.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...=Cruze&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=Turbo+Diesel

Will these indeed clear the diesels caliper? Correct offset and bolt pattern?

Thanks in advanced.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
That reminds me, I still need to "try on" the spare rim I ordered from Tire Rack. By the way, I am using Michelin X-Ice tires and they are worth every penny.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Don't take me to the bank on this, but I believe TireRack is pretty good about matching appropriate wheels to cars. Then again, I could be wrong. I don't know if they actually verify a fit or if they just match the appropriate numbers without actually checking clearances, etc.

I'm a little bummed TireRack hasn't carried any steelies that will fit the CTD so far.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Tirerack is really pretty good about this. They always put a lot of research into their wheels and their reputation and customer service are rock solid.

If you are really worried, you can order from a local shop. I haven't met a local shop that won't pricematch Tirerack. :th_dblthumb2:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I'm not really too concerned, as they do have a great reputation. Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this combo?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Furthermore, do you think it's worth the extra $200 to put TPMS sensors in these winter tires?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Furthermore, do you think it's worth the extra $200 to put TPMS sensors in these winter tires?
Yes and no. If you plan to change the wheels yourself and don't mind getting the warning all winter long, then save your money. However, if you can't stand the warning all winter long, or, more importantly, if you ever want a shop to change your wheels for you, then you'll need them.

I believe it is illegal for shops to put on wheels without TPMS sensors in them for cars equipped with TPMS. Even if it's not illegal, I've heard of many cases of people taking winter wheels without TPMS sensors to a shop to swap them out for them, and they will refuse to put them on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That reminds me, I still need to "try on" the spare rim I ordered from Tire Rack. By the way, I am using Michelin X-Ice tires and they are worth every penny.
My diesel arrived at the dealer yesterday, I'm thinking about getting some Michelin X-ice for it before I pick it up. My commute this morning was 2.5 hours in some bad weather and I actually used 4x4 a few times in my wrangler. I want to make sure I give my cruze the best handling possible. It's a shame the diesel has a different bolt pattern, craigslist is full of steelies with snow tires for cruze.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Yes and no. If you plan to change the wheels yourself and don't mind getting the warning all winter long, then save your money. However, if you can't stand the warning all winter long, or, more importantly, if you ever want a shop to change your wheels for you, then you'll need them.

I believe it is illegal for shops to put on wheels without TPMS sensors in them for cars equipped with TPMS. Even if it's not illegal, I've heard of many cases of people taking winter wheels without TPMS sensors to a shop to swap them out for them, and they will refuse to put them on.
Save the $200. Unless your inspection is up, you should be good. You have TPMS on your summer / all-season tires that is good enough. The shop I went to didn't give a flip. How is that even their liability? (Jeez did people forget manual gauges exist?!?!)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Save the $200. Unless your inspection is up, you should be good. You have TPMS on your summer / all-season tires that is good enough. The shop I went to didn't give a flip. How is that even their liability? (Jeez did people forget manual gauges exist?!?!)
You can thank our authoritarian government. It appears this is no enforcement mechanism against service providers, but most will likely play it safe anyway.

Tire Review - TPMS, NHTSA and You

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
My diesel arrived at the dealer yesterday, I'm thinking about getting some Michelin X-ice for it before I pick it up. My commute this morning was 2.5 hours in some bad weather and I actually used 4x4 a few times in my wrangler. I want to make sure I give my cruze the best handling possible. It's a shame the diesel has a different bolt pattern, craigslist is full of steelies with snow tires for cruze.

Welcome to the forum and congrats!

·
Registered
116 Posts
We usually buy Nokians and the Hakka R2's are great: and sold,out locally through February.

i was able to get General Altimax Arctic in the stock size. They are about $25 less each than the R2's. Cost me $650 installed at the local dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts